logo Sign In

Post #741531

Author
RU.08
Parent topic
TPM 1080p Theatrical Preservation (a WIP)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/741531/action/topic#741531
Date created
18-Dec-2014, 4:04 AM

Interesting comments. DVDSource() is just the upscale function, I altered it significantly a couple of days ago (to take care of the combing artefacts on the DVD) and I'll be happy to post it when it's done in its final form.

To get back to Episode I here is the complete list of changes (Theatrical to DVD) that I'm aware of:

1. Original subtitles removed and replaced with player-invoked subs (and of course burned-in on the HDTV versions).
2. A couple of night shots on Tatooine are significantly darker.
3. The pod-race "grid sequence" and pod-race itself was altered significantly (too much to mention here).
4. Air taxi sequence was incorporated into Naboo, and a previous shot was removed.
5. Orn Free Taa's aids are replaced with two aliens in the Senate.
6. On a night shot of Naboo there is a bridge that was added.

I went through the entire movie scene-by-scene, and couldn't find any other changes. Some of the shots on Naboo have their whites blown-out (see 2nd screenshot in this post), but I've decided not to use the BD at all and to rely solely on the previous releases. So although as you see I can turn the gamma down a bit, I can't bring back the texture on the pavement. Well not unless I want to use the laserdisc, which doesn't have enough resolution to depict the pavement anyway.