Subtitle font used in Star Wars (ANH, ROTJ)

• Print
The subtitle font appears to be Franklin Gothic Demi Condensed, Bold, 56 pt, color #E0E7D3 (RGB triplet; SSA uses BGR).

From my empirical observations, as seen in this clip which is derived from the DVD, the match is close, if not identical.

This might be of use to some restorationists.

Moll.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

This page has plenty of info as well

Z: Updated link with new URL.
MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
JediRandy: They're certainly beyond any repair you're capable of making.

MeBeJedi: You aren't one of us.
Go-Mer-Tonic: I can't say I find that very disappointing.

JediRandy: I won't suck as much as a fan edit.
Then I was right on the money. XD They also say Franklin Gothic Demi.

Though I don't think their "A long time ago" shot is in the right font.

Moll.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

I'm looking for the font used in the ISOMIX version of these. As far as I can tell, it's FF Dirty Seven Two. Anyone have a copy of this or better yet a free clone version? I'm not paying $20- $40 for it! If anyone can help provide me with a free version or close substitute, I would appreciate it. Thanks! marioxb@ameritech.net
Darth Editous' avatar
Franklin may be the font used on the DVDs, but the SE laserdiscs (and possibly the VHS tapes before the SE) used something a lot like AlternateGot3D (which is similar to FF Dirty Seven Two), and I think it looks a lot nicer. I made "burned in" subtitles for my edition, partly
because I don't know how to do DVD subtitle streams, but mainly because I think DVD subtitle streams look ugly.

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/06/61/17/ldsub1141425947.jpg

DE
Here's another suggestion from Darryl Herschler's web site. The font from his site is Alt Gothic (aka "AlternateGothic2 BT"). Let's do a little comparison, shall we?

I've taken Darryl's suggestion along with Molly's ("Franklin Gothic Demi Condensed") and DE's ("AlternateGotNo3D"), added a couple of my own, and compared them to the X0 capture of the US Definitive LD. "Franklin Gothic LT Extra Condensed" and "AlternateGothicEF No.2" are two fonts I have that look pretty close as well.

I would include "FF Dirty Seven Two" but I don't have it.

The fonts have been spaced to match the LD capture.

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/1594/subtitles4rx.png

I think AlternateGotNo3D looks the closest out of these. But it still doesn't look like the exact font.

Image updated with DE's font.

"Ratio Tile, the wish power are together with you." - Allah Gold, Backstroke of the West

This thread should be pinned !!! I've been waiting for information on this for a long time
I did the next best thing. It has been added to the thread index.

"Ratio Tile, the wish power are together with you." - Allah Gold, Backstroke of the West

Only one edit needed: it's Darryl Hirschler, not David!
lol! I knew that.

On the same note, is there a consenus on the colour of both "A long time ago", and the original "Lucasfilm Limited" title cards? Not the awful respective metalized, lens flare, shiny pretty distracting thing, and the aquamaine of the 2005 discs, but the theatrical prints of ANH. I've got pretty close to nailing the shape, spacing, and the timing of the fade in/out on these. But the variety in the available LD rips has left me bewildered as to the proper colours.
Members reading this topic: None