logo Sign In

Star Wars theatrical versions not coming in 2015 — Page 5

Author
Time

Much like when George said he has no intention of making more SW film's but doesn't mind handing it over to someone else, perhaps he feels the same about the OOT.

Author
Time

They need to quit releasing the special editions,  and just give us the originals

Author
Time

wymjafett2112 said:

They need to quit releasing the special editions,  and just 

No.

wymjafett2112 said:

give us the originals

Yes.

Author
Time

wymjafett2112 said:

They need to quit releasing the special editions,  and just give us the originals

Quit reselling the same SE from 2011 with the same features? Yes. Resell the SE that either is: packaged with the original, the 97SE, or a new edit and has new bonus features as well a old? No.

Author
Time

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/19/disney-to-re-release-theatrical-cuts-of-the-original-star-wars-t/

Disney To Re-Release Theatrical Cuts Of The Original Star Wars Trilogy

• Jay Jayson
  • - 09/18/2015

The 25th annual Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando kicked off this evening with a bang! During the question and answer session, film director/producer John Landis (An American Werewolf in London), revealed to the audience some unexpected and major news regarding Star Wars of all things.

Empire is reporting: "At a Q&A tonight John Landis dropped that Disney are finally going to re-release the theatrical cuts of the original Star Wars trilogy." Landis then added, the information was provided to him by his oldpal George Lucas.

Author
Time

Well there's a new hope afterall. Of George says it can happen, it probably will happen... Yippieeeeee!

Author
Time

DrDre said:

Of George says it can happen, it probably will happen...

Who's Of George? 

Author
Time

I'm a little skeptical about this news. How is it that after so many years, George Lucas just gives in and rereleases his original work just like that? I'll have to wait for further news to pop up, but if it's true, I'll love him for all time! I'll even forgive him for the Complete Saga Blu-rays!

Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.

Author
Time

I'm cautiously optimistic, but lets not assume that just because it's unaltered that the color timing will be correct.

Imagine if they just edit out the changes from the current blu rays but keep their color timing.

Author
Time

FrankT said:

I'm a little skeptical about this news. How is it that after so many years, George Lucas just gives in and rereleases his original work just like that? I'll have to wait for further news to pop up, but if it's true, I'll love him for all time! I'll even forgive him for the Complete Saga Blu-rays!

Because it costs him nothing now.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I'm not too worried about the color timing, since however it comes out I'd wager there'll be seven or eight different regrades on here to choose from reasonably quickly. Personally I'd like to see something a little more subdued than the technicolor version that's generally accepted as "correct". It's more than likely just a result of my not being around for the theatrical release, but the 90s-era home video color palette has always felt most right to me.

Author
Time

swagmasta69 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but lets not assume that just because it's unaltered that the color timing will be correct.

Imagine if they just edit out the changes from the current blu rays but keep their color timing.

Editing the changes out would probably be a lot more work than just using prints of the original films, especially since a lot of the changes involve different compositing as well as the removal of entire scenes completely.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

FrankT said:

Then either he's given up on his "original vision", or he's about to admit that the originals were it all along.

Author
Time

FrankT said:

Wazzles said:

FrankT said:

Then either he's given up on his "original vision", or he's about to admit that the originals were it all along.

He hasn't given up on it, or he would have used his own money to restore them. He just doesn't care anymore.

Author
Time

What if George was shown Mike Verta's version and that's why he had a change of heart?

Author
Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWeDd7lfNsM

Here's the interview footage

The Person in Question

Author
Time

That's fantastic news, if it's true. :) And one would think that George (through Landis) would know...

And "releasing" better = full scale (big budget, all the time they need) restoration, not some quick 1, 2, 3 job like last time (2004 SE), only now with just a bit more resolution. *rolls eyes* But rather a proper Lawrence of Arabia level restoration done by the best pros in that field. *cue telephone call to Mike to hire him on as a special consultant* :)

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time

I hope it's true just so the thread title is wrong.

Author
Time

I hope it's true so that he changes the thread title because Frink loves post editing.

Author
Time

While I do too hope this rumor is true, after watching the clip it almost sounds more like he was being sarcastic or assuming. I could be wrong. If this is indeed happening, I certainly will be psyched and it will make me more anxious for TFA!!!!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

crissrudd4554 said:

While I do too hope this rumor is true, after watching the clip it almost sounds more like he was being sarcastic or assuming. I could be wrong. If this is indeed happening, I certainly will be psyched and it will make me more anxious for TFA!!!!

Empire claims that he said Lucas told him, and since they were at the event and tweeted that information they would literally have to be flat out lying if he didn't tell them that at some point so I imagine that we didn't see the full story in that clip on Youtube. 

The Person in Question

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Possibly then again are we willing to believe that Lucas is letting them do this?? After all this time of protecting his 'vision' he's finally approving this?? Then again someone mentioned earlier if it isn't his money he doesn't care whatsoever what they do. Then again I read of someone who years ago actually sent an offer to Lucas to restore the originals himself for free and never got a response. However this was when Lucas was still in control of his own firm.

Author
Time

Has any other news site come out with this?

Author
Time

The AV Club and /FILM both ran articles about it, but they just cited the same tweets.

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

I hope it's true just so the thread title is wrong.

Even if it's true, I highly doubt they're coming in 2015 especially if the steelbooks for the SEs were already released this year.