msycamore
Parent topic
Star Wars : 'Tantive's Orange Items' Thread & other unintended objects
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/540400/action/topic#540400
Date created
25-Sep-2011, 8:41 AM

zombie84 said:

Burtt jamming up the workprint has nothing to do with the film. The workprint is the workprint, not the negative, it's just a copy they make for the editor to work on. It gets jammed up, thrown on the floor, gets drawn on with marker, etc.

Of course! I'm glad you're around to setting us straight. :) This tear should be on the negative not on some workprint.

none said:

Did the same thing happen in 1995?  The widescreen Faces cap, there's some sign of the errors but in the Full Screen i'm not sure.

Hard to see in just those caps if they are there on the '95 fullscreen, even though the '82 CED and LD have a different transfer from the tapes from that same year, they could still be from the same IP/film elements, as can be seen they are cropped diferently but they also have different choices in the pan & scan. The transfers on the '82 tapes look very similar to what was used for the '85 and '92 LD's but without the letters in frame, but that is some huge guesswork on my part just going by those pics. So the ones lacking the tears is so far:

• '82 VHS, Betamax
  • '82 CED, LD
  • '85 LD
  • '86 JSC LD, '89/'92 SWE LD - the only Widescreen transfers without them
  • '92 LD

If all these are from the same IP/film elements I don't know, but it seems the Widescreen transfers and '82 CED/LD are from the same source.

The Aluminum Falcon said:

msycamore said:

Never knew about the characters in the upper frame, is it letters or some sort of time code or is it static throughout the film?

It's completely static through the whole film.

Weird, like you said they were hidden by the old TV's overscan, that's why I never saw it on my old copy.