logo Sign In

Star Wars Prequel Trilogy DTS CD ROMs...(First Post UPDATED 08 DEC 2012) (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

With borisanddoris and ElDonante’s awesome Jurassic Park DTS Cinema audio preservation I had no trouble deciding who to go to when it came to this.  There is already a thread now going for the SE DTS CD-rom preservation so I wanted to keep this separate.

Here is what is happening so far…

1.)  borisanddoris & ElDonante have kindly agreed to participate in this PT endeavor.  I won the auction for the Phantom Menace DTS CD’s and am awaiting their arrival.

2.)  borisanddoris has kindly offered a copy of the ROTS DTS CD’s for reveiw and possible avenues of retrieving the audio.

3.)  ElDonante has offered up his audio attenuation skills for the TPM audio and hopefully EP II & III (when and if we can figure out how to access it properly).

With that said, does anyone have a copy of the AOTC DTS CD’s they’d like to share for this preservation?  It would really help out and would be greatly appreciated.

My inspiration for this project was most certainly the Jurassic Park project.  Even if just for preservation I think this project deserves to happen alongside the SE DTS audio one.

My sincerest appreciation goes out to borisanddoris & ElDonante for taking the time and sharing their resources to see this thing go for everyone’s benefit.

JP Audio Thread:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Preserving-DTS-LaserDisc-tracks-specifically-Jurassic-Park/topic/13541/

SE Audio Thread:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Star-Wars-1997-DTS-CD-ROMs/topic/14241/

These are unedited times for the reels on the DTS Cinema Discs for the Prequel Trilogy.

TPM (DTS Cinema)

R1T5 - 18:51
R2T5 - 21:09
R3T5 - 20:15
R4T5 - 21:16
R5T5 - 20:21
R6T5 - 20:57
R7T5 - 11:24

AOTC (DTS Cinema)

R1T5 - 20:13
R2T5 - 20:17
R3T5 - 19:51
R4T5 - 21:16
R5T5 - 20:42
R6T5 - 20:15
R7T5 - 19:57

ROTS (DTS Cinema)

R1T5 - 17:58
R2T5 - 20:39
R3T5 - 19:42
R4T5 - 20:21
R5T5 - 20:26
R6T5 - 21:08
R7T5 - 21:02

Author
Time

Update:

The TPM discs arrived today.  The process is a go.  WhooHoo!!!

:)

Author
Time

That's good news. I'd be excited to see, or rather, hear the results of that. I never got a chance to see TPM in theaters. I'd be curious to see how much better the DTS sounds. Would you sync it with the BD and just add the BD's audio for the extended segments, or would you make a whole custom BD-25 that was the theatrical cut or a restoration of it?

Author
Time

The Aluminum Falcon said:

That's good news. I'd be excited to see, or rather, hear the results of that. I never got a chance to see TPM in theaters. I'd be curious to see how much better the DTS sounds. Would you sync it with the BD and just add the BD's audio for the extended segments, or would you make a whole custom BD-25 that was the theatrical cut or a restoration of it?

I'd like to use Adywan's Theatrical Reconstruction.  I sent him a pm but have not heard back from him as of yet.

I gave a quick listen to some of the files and they do sound nice.

Author
Time

Jetrell Fo said:

I'd like to use Adywan's Theatrical Reconstruction.  I sent him a pm but have not heard back from him as of yet.

That's cool, so it will be SD video only?

Author
Time

Jetrell Fo said:

That's cool, so it will be SD video only?

Well.....if someone here can replicate the Theatrical version with higher quality video, that'd be great.  I personally do not have a bluray drive on my pc or laptop though I can play AVCHD files.  My interest is really archiving this audio FOR such projects because I know I'm no video editor.

If someone here is up for the challenge I know I am not the only one who would appreciate a higher quality theatrical version of TPM to sync this with when it's ready.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

UPDATE:  09 Jun 2012

Due to human error on my part the audio files aren't quite ready for processing.  I will keep you all informed.

Author
Time

Ok, here's where were at....

1.  I'm uploading the ISO's for borisanddoris so we can get the files to Eldonante for final processing.

2.  I got a reply from Ady today.  He is interested in adding this DTS audio to the Theatrical Reconstruction of TPM.  I mentioned to him that I'd like to see this in a Bluray format to keep the quality as high as possible.

I will update the news as soon as we get confirmation of final audio processing and torrent readiness.

Author
Time

Sounds good and exciting.

I am excited as well.  I had hoped someone here had the ESB & AOTC DTS discs or even knew someone who did because I'd like to see that audio preserved as well.  ROTS is on hold until a way is found to access the .aue files on the discs.  At this point, the only way I know how to is to have a DTS licensed theater machine....and even that's iffy.

For now, we've got a good start on some really cool stuff, and hopefully the S.E. ANH & ROTJ will be done soon as well.  

:)  :) 

Author
Time

Upload Complete!!!

:)   :)

Next please...........   :)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If ANYONE has the AOTC DTS cinema discs, please send me a pm.....we could really use to have the set available for possible future preservations....I know it's part of the PT but the DTS cinema audio alone can offer some great advantages.

As I said to Ady....having an extra pair of eyes and ears is always a good thing.

Cheers

Author
Time

Working on TPM as we speak!

“Alright twinkle-toes, what’s your exit strategy?”

Author
Time

borisanddoris said:

Working on TPM as we speak!

WhooHoo!!!!!

You rock boris.....thank doris for me too, would you?

Author
Time

Looks like TPM is moving forward.  Thanks Jetrell Fo, ElDonate, and Adywan for their work!

WOOT!

“Alright twinkle-toes, what’s your exit strategy?”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Just to put this out there......

These audio restorations are no different than any of the video/audio restorations and they deserve the same amount of caution, anonymity, and respect as the other projects.  I love it that people are interested in what we're doing and I'm glad it will make even a little difference in the bigger scheme of things.  It makes this a great community to be a part of.

If anyone has questions, please post them in the thread and I will do what I can to get them answered.  Everyone doing a project spends their own time, effort, and other hard earned resources to do so for the benefit of everyone in the community....some breathing room is always appreciated.

Thanks for letting me ramble a bit.

Cheers!!!

:)  :) 

Author
Time

A note from ElDonante.....

Hey,

borisanddoris sent the 6track my way.

I'm shooting for a mid-late July completion date.  It's been really busy at work and in my line of work, when I'm not at work working, I'm working remotely on my own time.  I also have a trip at the end of the month and won't have access to my editing suite.

With some luck (or a new job), we'll get this out this summer :P

Author
Time

I am giving this thread a boost in to the food chain because I really want to keep this one separate unless borisanddoris is okay with combining this one with his 1997 SE thread.

I will let you all know when the DTS-6D and the finished TPM audio arrive.

Author
Time

Here is the update..... I just got done reading a pm from Eldonante.

He has a busy life with a schedule to match.  With that said, he is not able to give an ETA on the TPM audio project.  Considering how well the Jurassic Park audio turned out while in his hands I am more than willing to give him the space he needs to work at his pace.  Patience is how we get the "good stuff".

For those who may want to mess around I know the ISO's of the TPM audio I provided are up in the newsgroups.  Please, feel free to play and tweak at your leisure.

Of course, when there is an update on this...this thread will be updated.

Cheers!!!!

Author
Time

My 6D has arrived.  Does any one here have any good experience with these and how to make use of them in a home environment for this project?

Thanks....

Author
Time

I can at least confirm that AOTC uses the .aud file format.  This is good news because it leaves only ROTS as the only one not accessible until a work around can be found.

That's all I got for now as my search continues.......

;)

Author
Time

I HAVE acquired the DTS CD's for AOTC .... we now have a complete set. 

Author
Time

Did you ever get a copy of ROTS, or were you just talking about the ones that you can work with?

If I had some gum, I’d chew a hole into the sun…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

schorman13 said:

Did you ever get a copy of ROTS, or were you just talking about the ones that you can work with?

I have ROTS but it is the ONLY set that cannot be used at this point due to the encoding/encryption used for it.  ALL the others can be accessed and processed for use with their "theatrical" versions.