logo Sign In

Star Wars: Episode VIII to be directed by Rian Johnson

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I've never seen Looper*, but two of the three Breaking Bad episodes he did were fantastic (the other was as good as any season 5 episode, but I don't recall the direction standing out above the others).

*that will soon change. Sounds good.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This was interesting news when I just read it before coming here. I was almost expecting to see JJ come back at least once more. I really enjoyed Looper so I'm interested to see Johnson's take on VIII and IX.

So not only is Rian Johnson going to direct them, he's going to write them as well, but has it been stated anywhere yet if Lawrence Kasdan will return and assist with the writing duties, just as he's currently assisting JJ? I really hope so.

I think it's a very good idea though that they've already determined who is going to direct the next installments of Star Wars. This way he is in the 'loop' (pun intended) and can be made aware of where VII is now (the plot), what's been planned for the future etc, and then can already start his writing/planning.

Wishlist Of Ideas/Suggestions For Improving ROTJ

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sounds like IX is not confirmed and he's doing a story treatment and they'll see how it goes.

I've seen Lawrence's name attached to VIII and IX writing rumors, but not sure what's doing on.

Have seen people complaining about not having someone else for IX. Obviously, if he bombs, I'll wish that someone else took over. But assuming he doesn't, it will be nice to have consistency, especially with the writing.

Funny tweet from a month ago: http://www.jedinews.co.uk/common/CreateThumbNail.aspx?image=/images/news/articles/rian_j_ep7-8_1.jpg&filetype=jpg&size=800

Author
Time

V was pretty good even with a director different than IV.

Author
Time

Different directors is a good thing. Keep them from feeling stale.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I have no problem with having different directors for SW, but I guess I am still somewhat surprised that Lucasfilm already decided to hire another director (without first seeing if VII bombs or is successful - hopefully the latter). I'm guessing JJ had told Lucasfilm that he certainly does not want to return for another SW. It really is a daunting task to take on any SW duties these days, that's for sure. Rian is a good choice to take over though, I approve.

Author
Time

I'm not familiar with Johnson or his work, yet.  Do you think he'll continue using practical effects and real locations or rely more on CGI and green screens?  Granted, we don't know how much CGI is in Episode VII and no doubt there will be, but the Abrams team has put a lot of emphasis on using more practical effects and real locations.  Also wonder if the next two films will be shot digitally?

Author
Time

.Mac. said:

I have no problem with having different directors for SW, but I guess I am still somewhat surprised that Lucasfilm already decided to hire another director (without first seeing if VII bombs or is successful - hopefully the latter). I'm guessing JJ had told Lucasfilm that he certainly does not want to return for another SW. It really is a daunting task to take on any SW duties these days, that's for sure. Rian is a good choice to take over though, I approve.

That would be my assumption for JJ as well. They're probably not moving on from him after a few weeks of filming otherwise.

Author
Time

unamochilla2 said:

I'm not familiar with Johnson or his work, yet.  Do you think he'll continue using practical effects and real locations or rely more on CGI and green screens?  Granted, we don't know how much CGI is in Episode VII and no doubt there will be, but the Abrams team has put a lot of emphasis on using more practical effects and real locations.  Also wonder if the next two films will be shot digitally?

Definitely give Looper a watch. It would be my hope and expectation that Rian will continue the emphasis of using real locations, practical effects, and film. That's often my biggest concern with having a different director, the look and feel of the film could possibly be different (for better or for worse), but I trust it is in good hands.

Author
Time

.Mac. said:

It would be my hope and expectation that Rian will continue the emphasis of using... practical effects

Tell that to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's face.

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

He'd be a great choice even if he wasn't one of a handful of directors who has publicly called for the proper preservation of the original trilogy, but that puts him over the top.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

unamochilla2 said:

Definitely he'll go more practical/real than cgi/greenscreen. Looper has some cgi, but it's used sparingly. Hell, there's little difference between the "looping" effect itself and the jump cuts you see in the original Star Wars.

Everything he's directed was shot on film, including his Breaking Bad episodes (that entire show was shot on film). Also, Looper was shot in the anamorphic format of the OT/TPM and all of Abrams' movies (including Ep7), so Johnson will certainly push to have Ep8 shot that way as well. The only question is whether there will still be film to shoot on and well-maintained cameras to shoot it with by the time this goes into production.

Anyway, I've been excitedly following this news for the last several hours. I must've just happened to load up /Film mere moments after the story broke, 'cause all it said was "Rian Johnson is writing/directing 8 and 9, we'll have more later."

Yeah, definitely got the biggest reaction out of me since the day this whole Disney ball got rolling.

They quickly updated with a full article saying he was only writing a treatment for Ep9, not directing. This was good news to me as I want a different director on each film, like the OT.

I always knew Abrams wasn't gonna come back for VIII. Directing a Star Wars movie seems to be more of a bucket list thing for him. Apparently he's gonna stay on as a producer for the other films. Hopefully it won't be to their detriment. 

Rian Johnson was definitely on many people's lists of dream directors for Ep7, so it seems fitting to see this happening.

Oh, and I love that second tweet regarding the SE. Spoken like a true celluloid-lover.

Author
Time

Ryan McAvoy said:

.Mac. said:

It would be my hope and expectation that Rian will continue the emphasis of using... practical effects

Tell that to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's face.

Haha, but of course CGI will always still be used in SW, it's just a matter of using it properly and in moderation, not abusing it.

Author
Time

Cool, I'm starting to feel better about him directing Episode VIII.  I will definitely be checking out his films, particularly Looper, which I've never heard of until today.  In fact, I never heard of Rian Johnson before today. :-P  I just hope Williams will still be willing to score the following films with different directors.  Seems likely there will be a different director for Episode IX.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Great article.  I wonder if some of his anti-SE comments ("90s cartoon versions") will magically disappear like Gary Whitta's comments?  Johnson was more respectful in the interview than his tweet.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Only the usual suspects will make hay out of nearly three year old tweets.

The man is being hired to direct a movie, not run for political office. ;)

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I thought JJ Abrahms was confirmed to be directing 7-9. What happened to that?

Author
Time

Is this confirmed?  I thought I saw "in talks" which would mean it isn't a done deal.

Author
Time

I'm not sure why everyone is talking about CGI.  The Prequels were weaker films because of poor plot, dialogue, and directing.  CGI was still kind of new then so some shots looked way too cartoony, but by the time ROTS rolled around I thought the CGI looked great in that.  

It's 2014, I'm sure that any CGI used will look great.  I'm more worried about the storyline at this point. 

Author
Time

It's worth noting that Roger Guyett was one of the vfx supervisors on RotS before working on Abrams' Trek films and now Episode VII.