logo Sign In

Star Wars Colortiming & Cinematography (was What changes was done to STAR WARS in '93?) — Page 13

Author
Time

The pics look like that because they're compressed jpg's. I bet we'll be pleasantly surprised on how good this will actually look when uncompressed in full resolution.

Author
Time

Still, the contrast (intensity) in the shots seems a bit low.

Author
Time

TServo2049 said:

Some more film cell images I found on eBay, this time from the first film. These are a higher resolution than the ones I posted before, but lighting is  much more uneven - you can see that the person who took the photos was shining a flashlight down onto the cells, so some parts will look blown out, others look too dark/translucent (and you can often see the texture of the white bedsheet under the cell). Some of the images have similar greenish tendencies to the Jedi1.net scans, others don't.

Another seller's photo - this one of Leia and R2. Looks too cool?

we're going to try to do this by reels

starting with 1:

our untouched versions:

====================

"Secret mission? What plans? What are you talking about? I'm not getting in there!"

Another seller posted some images which are strangely lit - they seem to be backlit, but the light is some kind of rectangular shape positioned at an angle so that part of the image is blown out, and part is too dim.

Leia captured - wow, that's blown out. It looks cold where the light is strongest, but you can see yellow and green and cyan tendencies on the right side where there's not as much light:

Vader grills Leia on the Tantive. Again with the odd light source, not sure what to make of this image:

The Jawas - a nice reddish-gold hue, it feels right to me:

some are really dark:

R2 in the Sandcrawler - again, it has that warm look Mike has talked about, but the photo is kind of soft and there aren't many distinct colors visible, so again I'm not sure what to make of it:

later

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time
 (Edited)

now onto reel 2:

=======================================

TServo2049 said:

R2 and 3PO - same shot as in my earlier post, the colors seem to match:

A big, sharp, high-res image of Luke, Ben and R2:

It's got some yellow-green in the walls and uniforms, but notice how much better the skin tones look, and how generally warmer it looks, than the Jedi1 scans from this same scene:

reel 3:

=====================

There's nothing you could have done." Same scene as one of the Derann images above:

Han introduces himself - pretty strong golden yellow cast here:

Chewie in the cockpit. Seems too yellow-green:

later

Author
Time
 (Edited)

more reel 3:

=============

Some more big, high-res photos. First, the Death Star conference room:

Some more big, high-res photos. First, the Death Star conference room:

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4325/swr325583.jpg

Preparing to completely blow away Alderaan. Lots of warm golden yellow on the button lights:

Luke takes his first step into a larger world. Nice and warm, natural skin tones, this is another one that looks about perfect to me:

reel 4:

==================

Luke has a bad feeling about this. Unfortunately, the light source is too concentrated, so the image is way too blown out in the middle. Not sure if the greenish look is due to fading or too much illumination. The colors on the right edge look good, though:

"This is some rescue!" Again, some blowout and greenish highlights (though it's certainly not as green as some of the Jedi1 scans of Death Star scenes):

From another seller, Ben Kenobi heading for the tractor beam, with a definite yellow-green cast. Not sure if this is due to fading, or due to the camera white balance - it's warmer than the Jedi1 scans, but still, I think it's *too* yellow-green:

Red Leader: (note the original is flipped, it should be mirrored)

later

Author
Time

<blockquote><p><strong>You_Too</strong> said:</p><p>The pics look like that because they're compressed jpg's.<p> </p>

I would say the bigger offender is the incredibly lossy video file these are taken from ;)

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

That last shot looks great!

I think the aspect ratio is a bit too tall though?

Author
Time

Detail seems good. White seems a little blown out maybe? (look at Han's chest plate)

Author
Time

jero32 said:

Detail seems good. White seems a little blown out maybe? (look at Han's chest plate)

this is the temporary untouched version

from the capture. still needs to be tweaked.

i was only talking about the picture quality,

not the colors.

later

Author
Time
 (Edited)

how about?

(still haven't quite figured

out the aspect ratio for

display yet)...

================

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9121/swr40653.th.jpg

Author
Time

In that case, picture quality is pretty great. Any chance you could post a png for comparison? (Also personally I always use imgur for pictures, it has less ads)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

jero32 said:

In that case, picture quality is pretty great. Any chance you could post a png for comparison? (Also personally I always use imgur for pictures, it has less ads)

hmm. i use imageshack because it has an batch uploader.

i don't have the original source files on me right now.

these are screencaps.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/769/swr407359.th.jpg

later

Author
Time

The quality seems better than before, not that soft anymore.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

Those samples look amazing, -1!

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

*adventure time* * (can't find the damn clip)

I CAN SEE EVERYTHING.

Author
Time

jero32 said:

*adventure time* * (can't find the damn clip)

I CAN SEE EVERYTHING.

i don't get it..

hope its something good! ha ha

later

Author
Time

Those samples look really awesome!

I WANT THIS NOW.

What’s the internal temperature of a TaunTaun? Luke warm.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It got better like in the last pics but the ones before looks liked they're DNR'ed to hell and back. To much digital cleaning, or just low rez pics like you too said?

Author
Time

Since most of them hadn't been adjusted its just low rez.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

budwhite said:

It got better like in the last pics but the ones before looks liked they're DNR'ed to hell and back. To much digital cleaning, or just low rez pics like you too said?

very few of those have been cleaned.

those are original shots, some color corrected,

that went through 2 different video downconversions,

and then compressed to jpgs.

the last set were

one video conversion -> slightly altered colors for some -> jpg

later

Author
Time

I compared the aspect ratio to the official blu-ray, and if you change the height to 95% it matches perfectly. That is 1920x1026, or 1920x764 without black bars.

I also suspect that since the black bars are all at RGB 16/16/16 that the jpg's have gone through a faulty conversion from 16-235 to 0-255.

After fixing that and the aspect ratio it looks like this:

Author
Time

^I think when resizing it might be a good idea to take into account the fact that the framing is slightly different. I don't remember what thread it's in, but -1 has well documented that there is more information all around the way they're capturing the print.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

That looks a lot better, though still quite compressed, so all grain's gone. But from this, you can finally tell, that the final results will be amazing! Can't wait!