logo Sign In

Post #566575

Author
negative1
Parent topic
Star Wars Colortiming & Cinematography (was What changes was done to STAR WARS in '93?)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/566575/action/topic#566575
Date created
25-Feb-2012, 4:44 AM

TServo2049 said:

In the thread for DJ's project, I went into an aside about the 70mm film cell scans on Jedi1.net (specifically the ones from Empire), and how they probably don't reflect the actual color timing of the films. I surmise that they may have been auto-corrected or otherwise post-processed after scanning. However, I found some interesting photos of other 70mm cells someone was selling on eBay, which are the best-illuminated digital camera snapshots I've ever seen of these. However they were lit for the photos, the clear areas look neutral white, and so the colors seen in these pictures *may* more closely reflect the colors on the actual film frame

about the color accuracy, here they are anyway:

just to make things easier,

i put them in chronological order by reel, from the print

(note, not the exact frame, or final colors):

These are from reel 1:

Echo Base interior, slightly bluish but also fairly muted:

Luke in the Wampa's cave - notice that it's not as blue as in the bootleg telecine or the Puggo Strikes Back early preview, and that Luke's face isn't frostbite purple. Actually, it kind of reminds me of -1's color-corrected version, except with a little more blue than he was able to recover:

The bacta tank wide shot (notice the Eastman stamp on the left - could this be LPP?):

For comparison, here's the Jedi1.net scan of the same scene:

Notice how in the top image, the ceiling isn't as green. To me, the top looks more balanced than the bottom.

Notice that once again, it isn't as yellow-green-y as the Jedi1.net image:

From another seller, Han and Chewie visit Luke in the recovery room. This pic is smaller and fuzzier than the ones above, but the illumination still looks pretty good:

Leia in Luke's recovery room:

Notice how it's not as yellow-greenish as the Jedi1.net image:

More pink and less green than the Jedi1.net image (in fact, the pinkish highlights in the top picture kind of remind me of the theatrical bootleg telecine):

Luke after the infamous kiss:

A good-looking cell of Vader - look at how those red lights pop:

And from the first film, here's R2 and 3PO when Luke discovers Leia's message. This seems to have the most intact color of any 70mm cell of the first film I've seen so far. The warm golden cast reminds me of Mike Verta's snapshots from that IB print screening. (Hey Harmy, how does this pic compare to your IB scans?)

I'm really not sure how accurate the colors are in any of these pics; some of them don't seem to have any visible fading, while others do. I'm just putting them here because I don't often see images of the 70mm cells that look this good.

wow, that does look great..

very nice.

later