logo Sign In

Star Tours - preservation dvd (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

would anyone be interested in a star tours dvd?

i have just done a 16:9 transfer of the rides video (vhs nth generation, not filmed on the ride!)

i also have a fan made history of the ride i could add and im currently trying to sync a stereo soundtrack to the ride footage

all you need is a friend to rock your chair as you watch it and to flash a torch in your face to go with the explosions lol

Author
Time
 (Edited)
I might be interested. I think there are some other preservations out there. Do you know how yours compares to theirs?

I know OCPmovie included a timecoded vhs version of Star Tours on his Return of the Ewok DVD. Is this the same video as that?

You know of the rebellion against the Empire?

Author
Time
Erikstormtrooper said:

I might be interested. I think there are some other preservations out there. Do you know how yours compares to theirs?

I know OCPmovie included a timecoded vhs version of Star Tours on his Return of the Ewok DVD. Is this the same video as that?

i could never find one about anywhere!
this one has no timecodes its widescreen i think i used to have a fullscreen timecoded copy
i think im gonna make the disc just so i have something to keep it in :) ill post it when its done if anyone has any ideas or things they would like to add please do
Author
Time
Wait, this is NOT footage filmed on the ride? How'd you get it?
Oh, I'm DEFINITELY interested.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time
 (Edited)
You should check out the timecoded version that is on OCP's "Return of the Ewok and other little films". If that one is better quality than the widescreen version you have, than I'd recommend adding both to the DVD. Ideally you'd have:
1. The widescreen ride video (assuming this was OAR).
2. The fullscreen ride video (only if better quality than widescreen).
3. A hand-held cam of the ride in progress (this would be good to document the actual experience).
4. The 'boarding instructions' video (not sure if this is out there).
5. Any thing else related to ride, be it promos, press kits, whatever.

Now, with all that said, RotE is the only thing I can help you out with...

Pink Floyd -- First in Space

Author
Time

I am definitely interested as well. The TV Special about the ride would be an awesome addition as well if you happen upon that. :D

Author
Time

I'd love something like this as well. I have Return of the Ewok and I really enjoyed the star tours vid. You should check out the Terminator 3D battle across time ride preservation. If you can do anything like that preservation effort I'd be one happy panda.

Author
Time

Yeah, I know your original post was made quite a while ago, but I would like to ad that I too am interested in this.

Not even sure if you are still working on this, but if you are, for extras you could toss on the disc, the adverts that are shown in the waiting line, as well as a cam of the waiting line (should be plenty of these, as the last time I was there cameras were allowed in the line). The advertisements I am talking about are "take a vacation to Endor/Tantoine" ads that play on a loop on large screens right before getting to the room full of droids.

I think those would be good additions to the disc.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time

My friend Aaron Snyder made a really cool Star Tours preservation DVD a few years back.  It's got the ride video (timecoded I think), the press kit tape, cam footage, and various other bits.  When I talked to him last, his only copy had been rendered unplayable, so it looks like I may have one of the only (if not *the* only) remaining copies of it.  I will see what I can do about getting this shared... at the very least so we have more backup copies out there.

Who has the ability to up it via torrents or newsgroups and would like to volunteer for the task?

--SKot

P.S. - Aaron was working on a V2 a while back.  I'll see if I can get him to work on that some more.

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don't know how good my torrentspeed is, but I can - if needed - start one up.  Although, might be worth waiting for the v2.

Author
Time

Sounds like a good idea! Good luck...

Never seen the ride, just watched a really crappy quality cam recording off youtube sometime last year I think.

Author
Time

The worst part of this is?  The emotionless fuck known as Hayden Christensen stars in the "sequel" ride.

Author
Time

I have no problems seeding a torrent if you need help in that area.

Author
Time

I'd love to see the DVD. Please let me know where you guys plan to torrent it and I'll help out as much as I can once I get a copy. :D

Author
Time

Would this DVD project include the queue area? It's definitely a key part of the experience. There's also some video of Tokyo's much more elaborate queue on YouTube and it'd be nice to get some translation of their exclusive stuff such as the droids before R2 and 3PO, the Mon Calimari on the screen and the whole postshow in general. They even got a few elements from Epcot's old Horizons ride for a spot in the exit advertising more Star Tours destinations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqgd5JkZnu8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjaJO7bDQaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZdLikpocjo&feature=related

Author
Time

I've been in touch with Alex Newborn, a big fan of Star Tours who put together a DVD a few years ago. On his DVD he included a TV special on Star Tours hosted by Gil Gerard. Alex might be interested in lending a hand to this project.

Alex also pointed me to a torrent at mousebits.com for the video from the ride, which he says is the best he's seen. It's similar to the timecoded version on OCP's Return of the Ewok DVD, but it's MUCH better in quality. By my eye, it may even be a first or second generation copy. The only issue with the video is that it seems to have a yellow tint, but I imagine that some of you guys here could easily correct that :)

I know there's the C-3PO video for the inflight instructions (fasten seatbelt, no smoking, etc). Here's a low quality version: http://www.shadowfuture.net/bh/misc/safety.mov

Is there a copy of the video you watch while you're waiting to board (with the woman with the 80s weird hair)?

And isn't there a short video of 3PO thanking you after the ride is over? 

You know of the rebellion against the Empire?

Author
Time
Erikstormtrooper said:

And isn't there a short video of 3PO thanking you after the ride is over? 

Yeah, When the screen where Rex is behind rolls up again. Count me as insterested in this project as well. Especially if the footage wasnt shot at the ride

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain.
"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)
www . axia . ws/axia

Author
Time
Erikstormtrooper said:

I've been in touch with Alex Newborn, a big fan of Star Tours who put together a DVD a few years ago. On his DVD he included a TV special on Star Tours hosted by Gil Gerard. Alex might be interested in lending a hand to this project.

Alex also pointed me to a torrent at mousebits.com for the video from the ride, which he says is the best he's seen. It's similar to the timecoded version on OCP's Return of the Ewok DVD, but it's MUCH better in quality. By my eye, it may even be a first or second generation copy. The only issue with the video is that it seems to have a yellow tint, but I imagine that some of you guys here could easily correct that :)

Alex Newborn and Aaron Snyder are the guys when it comes to Star Tours stuff.  They both put together their own DVDs independently before they got in touch with each other.  If we could get them both in collaboration on a Star Tours preservation project, I think the results would be ideal.

I'll see what I can do about that possibility.

--SKot 

Projects:

Author
Time
I smell success! Star Wars on the internet is a small world sometimes.
Author
Time

This would be a blast! I hope you do this because it would ROCK on my 130" screen :D

Author
Time
SKot said:
Erikstormtrooper said:

Alex Newborn and Aaron Snyder are the guys when it comes to Star Tours stuff.  They both put together their own DVDs independently before they got in touch with each other.  If we could get them both in collaboration on a Star Tours preservation project, I think the results would be ideal.

I'll see what I can do about that possibility.

--SKot 

I'd love to see an "ultimate" Star Tours preservation dvd.  I hope I can contribute.  I still have all of the material I used to cobble that disc together (think I lost the stills though, but I just ripped them off the net).  Most of it is on vhs.  If I can find a working vcr I'm going to put them onto digital 8 video tape eventually or something.  SKot I think OCP has a copy of my Star Tours disc also, but I'm not sure if it's functioning or not.  

There's some excellent Star Tours videos on youtube.  Much of the stuff on my dvd like the opening ceremony is on there.  There's much more on there too like footage from all the different Disney parks.  What I particularly enjoyed is a nifty, fan made making of documentary here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnMsizn8FGY

It would be cool to get some of this on a preservation dvd.

Author
Time
amsnyder said:

I think OCP has a copy of my Star Tours disc also, but I'm not sure if it's functioning or not.  

Is this the same disc you sent me a while ago?

Author
Time

That youtube vid is pretty good!  I wanna see that in DVD quality.

Author
Time

Just saw that YouTube Star Tours doc too for the first time all the way through, and was quite impressed!  That's a great fan documentary.  Not only does it give an interesting and informative behind-the-scenes and history, but it also gives a really great encapsulation of the entire experience, line and all.  That needs to be part of a preservation disc for sure.

--SKot

Projects: