logo Sign In

Post #327437

Author
ImperialFighter
Parent topic
STAR WARS: EP V "REVISITED EDITION"ADYWAN - 12GB 1080p MP4 VERSION AVAILABLE NOW
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/327437/action/topic#327437
Date created
20-Aug-2008, 11:19 PM
Shadowman99 said:

Throwing something new into the mix, a continuity issue concerning ship positions and lighting:

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1623/tiechaseandsdcollisionlo8.jpg

Hi Shadowman99 -  having now had a chance to check out the section of the movie that your above 3 shots and comments recently referred to, I have to say in all honesty, that I see these particular effects in a different way to you, and don't think they require the proposed overhaul.   I happen to see a different interpretation of the juxtaposition of the 'angles' in the sequence, and it will be interesting to see what Adywan decides in the end.  Watching the actual sequence in motion gives me a different impression of it, where these shots are concerned, and as I'm only re-using your own previous 3 screenshots, my descriptions here will need to do, as to why - 

....in the top shot, the Millennium Falcon is indeed coming towards us, closely followed by the 4 TIEs.  However, I'd say that going by the moving footage (and the supposed scale involved), that the Falcon seems to be just ahead of the prow of the Stardestroyer 'Avenger' chasing it, and that the Falcon and the 4 TIEs are still just ahead of it as they all exit the frame.  The nose of the Stardestroyer does look as if it would pass just below us if it went 'off-frame' at the bottom....however, what the top shot doesn't indicate, is that although we see 2 of the TIEs exit the top of the frame, and the other 2 exit the side of the frame, is that we also see the Falcon itself passing below us, as it exits the bottom of the frame.  This gives a very direct, 'head-on' point-of-view of the 'close-up' Falcon and TIES just in front of the Stardestroyer as the shot ends.  It's only my own opinion, but because of this 'angle', I see them all as being just above the height of the Stardestroyer's prow at this point, overall.

....and then what's not obvious in the middle shot above, is that the moving footage initially starts with a fast-moving 'close-up' of the underneath of the Falcon as it enters the top of the frame, very closely followed by all the TIEs also entering the top of the frame, still just ahead of the prow of the Stardestroyer that enters downwards into the frame from the top, too.  To me, and again it's only my own opinion, rather than the Falcon and TIEs appearing to be underneath the Stardestroyer now, it seems that the continuity is okay, and this 'angle' still indicates them to be somewhat just slightly ahead, and just slightly above of the Stardestroyer's prow.  Halfway through this brief shot, the straight-ahead trajectory of the Falcon and the TIES now moves upwards a little, disappearing out of view, as the Stardestroyer steadily continues to move downwards into the frame before the shot ends.  (If the shot is kept as it is, this slight 'upwards movement' in the Millennium Falcon's trajectory explains why we wouldn't see 2 distant Stardestroyers in this shot, as they are seen to be directly ahead of the Falcon's cockpit, a few seconds later, and are already very small and distant initially)

....immediately after this middle shot, we then cut to approx. 4 seconds of Chewbacca roaring, and Han saying "I saw them, I saw them", and Leia asking "Saw what?"....before then cutting to the next shot showing the 2 distant, tiny, fast-approaching Stardestroyers ahead, seen through the cockpit windows....followed by a further approx. 10 seconds of C3PO unsuccessfully trying to tell Han about the damaged 'Hyperdrive' before Han says "Great, well we can still outmanoeuvre them"....before we eventually then cut to the shot seen in the bottom shot above.  This approx. 10 seconds is plenty to explain the fact that the 2 distant, fast-approaching, oncoming Stardestroyers are now almost upon the Falcon and the Stardestroyer 'Avenger' following it.  And the approx. 14 seconds in total from the end of the middle shot onwards, can certainly account for any eventual change in positioning of the Falcon in the bottom shot.  Although to me, it seems in the moving footage, as if the Falcon and it's TIE pursuers are still just slightly ahead of the closely-following Stardestroyer, and haven't moved far from their previous positions in front of it overall. 

Although the shot 'angles' convey a consistency to me as they are, I do like the idea of a slightly more 'manoeuvreable' Falcon in the middle shot above.  And I'd never spotted the 'reversed' lighting between the top shot and the bottom shot before!