logo Sign In

Post #390469

Author
ImperialFighter
Parent topic
STAR WARS: EP V "REVISITED EDITION"ADYWAN - 12GB 1080p MP4 VERSION AVAILABLE NOW
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/390469/action/topic#390469
Date created
31-Dec-2009, 6:28 PM

Okay, before things get out of hand with the 'drams' here, since doubleofive got these (scarily blue!) SE DVD shots for me sooner than I expected, I thought I'd finish off these comments to squeeze on here before year's end.  Many thanks for these once again doubleofive.  :)

Adywan, there was loads of neat stuff on your 'Luke's rescue' clip that was previewed a couple of weeks ago, such as the likes of the Falcon further back in the hangar....the hangar door only moving once to close....Ben's force aura....the burn effect on the Taun-Taun's belly....and the fabulous re-colouring -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJD6fUC7VxY&feature=related

However, I was especially pleased about how the 2 re-'flipped' shots turned out, so I wanted to show a couple of other 'reversed' shots (among other things) to do with this portion of the movie your clip just happens to cover, that I don't recall being brought up fully before....

When Han first appears early on in the movie, we can clearly see here that there is no 'insignia' badge on the top-LEFT of his coat at this point, unlike later scenes....

....and his macrobinoculars are hanging beside his LEFT side, with it's strap slung over his RIGHT shoulder.  In addition, he happens to have a 'communicator' on his LEFT glove only (similar to Luke) and wears his gun holster strapped to his RIGHT side.  (note the yellow ladders beside the X-wing here, as I'll come back to this too)....

....when we see Han wearing this coat again later on (just before he jumps onto a Taun-Taun), we can see that there is still no 'insignia' badge on his coat, and that his macrobinoculars strap is still slung over his RIGHT shoulder as he sets off....

....a little later, when Luke scrambles fully out of the Wampa cave and starts running, we can see that he has now attached his lightsaber to his utility belt....

....but when we cut to him falling over a snowridge, it seems the lightsaber is missing when he gets to his feet before the end of the shot....

....we now come to the start of the 'Luke's rescue' clip that I linked to above.  This is our first view of Han since he left the Rebel Base to search for Luke.  He is still correctly wearing the macrobinocular strap over his RIGHT shoulder like when he first set off....  And his 'communicator' is still correctly on his LEFT glove too....

....a little later, just after Luke finally collapses, we cut to this shot of the stop-motion 'Han on Taun-Taun'.  I believe this to be a 'reversed' shot!  ....because we can now see the macrobinoculars are hanging at his RIGHT side instead, and the strap is slung over his LEFT shoulder now....  Now it could be argued that the miniature was wrongly dressed, or that Han took off his macrobinoculars since we saw last saw him earlier (as seen in the above shot), and put them back on differently....but things still end up wrong due to shots that follow....

....because we now immediately cut to what seems to be another 'reversed' shot too!  Although we can see that this matches the above shot because the macrobinoculars are on Han's RIGHT side, since the strap is over his LEFT shoulder....It's definately 'reversed'.   If you 'pause' this shot along with the previous earlier 'close-up' of Han holding the reigns, you can also compare the folds in Han's scarf and the snow on the Taun-Taun's visible horn to see this is the case.  This shot also now shows an 'insignia' badge (that was missing when he got on the Taun-Taun) which is on the wrong side to where it's actually meant to be, compared to shots that come after this....  I have to say that I'd love to see these 2 shots re-'flipped' rather than be a continuity flaw.  We soon get used to re-'flipped' shots, and I don't see these spoiling the look of the flow before and after.  Just my own 2 cents on this issue.

....so after Han dismounts and we immediately cut to the shot below, things are suddenly correct again, with Han's macrobinoculars on his LEFT side once more....

....and when we then immediately cut to this shot below, we can see that the macrobinocular strap is still correctly over his RIGHT shoulder, and that his gun holster is correctly strapped to his RIGHT leg, just as it was when he set off....

....just afterwards, we come to the scene below.  Remember that 2nd shot from the top, showing the X-wing prop with the 2 ladders either side of it that Han passes?  Well I believe this is the same prop....but you'll see that there is only a single, 'angled' yellow ladder on the other side of the cockpit to Leia now....

....which is fine, except when we immediately cut to the shot below, we now have another , 'vertical' yellow ladder beside Leia too....

....and here's a better look at it when we come to the shot a little later, where Leia walks away after the hangar doors are shut.  I don't know if it can be 'added', or 'erased' to be consistent in all these shots that Leia is in or not, but there it is.

....soon after, we cut from a 'circular fade' of Chewie's head in front of the now-closed hangar to this shot of Luke below which 'pans' to the left over him with his face turned to the LEFT.  This is yet another 'reversed' shot!  His gun holster has previously been on his RIGHT side, and his glove 'communicator' has been on his LEFT hand.  Also, his 'earpiece' has always previously been on his LEFT side of his head too.  They are all wrong in this shot now....  As has been noted, there is a lot more snow on his back compared to the shots that follow....but it's the fact that Luke is 'reversed' which is the bigger bugbear for me.  However, it's a problematic one to fix....

....because when we immediately cut to the shot below where everything is suddenly positioned correctly again....Luke's face is still turned to the LEFT....meaning that if the shot above was re-'flipped', it would have him facing to the RIGHT then before the cut.... 

....so Han finds him and dismounts, and we see that his macrobinoculars strap is still correctly over his RIGHT shoulder, as he goes over to help....

....although I'm convinced that his gloves are now BROWN instead of GREY during the 'close-up' where he asks Luke to give him a sign that he's okay!  Although it's hard to tell amongst all the blueness, they certainly seem a little different in this brief shot, but revert to GREY again afterwards.  Things look much better in the re-coloured 'clip' though, and it's no biggie compared to 'reversed' shots of course.

....and when Han drags Luke towards the Taun-Taun, the macrobinoculars are still correctly hanging by his LEFT side....

....but things went wrong again by the time we then cut to the shot below....but which has now been re-'flipped' correctly.  And this now correct-way-round confirms that the 'insignia' badge should be on the top-LEFT side of the coat all along, in the shots it appears in....  Personally, I'd rather see this 'erased' from all the shots for continuity's sake if possible, as I imagine 'adding' it in the various early scenes is impractical.

....and we immediately cut to yet another 'reversed' shot that has now thankfully been re-'flipped'....

....and when we then immediately cut to the shot below, Han's gun holster is still on his RIGHT side indicating all's correctly in place with him at this point....

....and correct when we cut here too, as the top-LEFT coat 'insignia' badge and LEFT glove 'communicator' are in the right place....

....and things still look correct in the the later shot where Han waves to the Snowspeeder that finds them.

That's your lot for now.

Happy hangovers everyone!