logo Sign In

Info: "Return of the Jedi with Questionable Subtitles" or "Admiral Edbaby's Last Stand"

Author
Time
 (Edited)

'ello all.

I’d mentioned on the Backstroke of the West thread that I once had a bootleg copy of Return of the Jedi with some odd subtitles.

I finally got ahold of it again and after a little research I found that it was from the 1997 SE Five Star Collection bootlegs, so many of you may already have this. As far as I could tell, Jedi was the only one of the Trilogy that was out of the ordinary.

Now, these subtitles aren’t nearly as epic as the legendary Backstroke, but they are still quite amusing. For anyone who wants a fresh perspective on the ROTJ SE but doesn’t want to download an entire dual-layer DVD (or if you’d just prefer a sharper anamorphic picture despite the further alterations and color issues introduced in 04), I’ve ripped the subs and tweaked them ever so slightly to synch up with the 2004 official retail DVD so they can be easily inserted using muxman or whatever. For my personal copy I used the 2004 SE video and the french audio track so I wouldn’t be distracted by what they’re really saying 😃

Download here: http://www.ulozto.net/xsSrWj4/admiral-edbaby-s-last-stand-zip

Below are a few of my favourite moments 😃

Author
Time

I've seen that five star set on Ebay occasionally. So SW and ESB wouldn't be worth tracking down for the subtitles?

Would this be a subtitle file I could load into VLC and try it out with the official DVD without too much fuss?

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thanks for tracking this down, Bobocop.  Answering SilverWook's questions:

The Star Wars 1997 Special Edition 5 Star DVD9s were posted to the spleen.

and yes, VLC can handle the official DVD as the video and this subtitle stream Bobocop has created.  Use 'Advanced Open File'.

*EDIT*

amusing that they sub R2 is all the films: 'bloop whistle blip', 'bleep blip blip', 'beep beep'.

Author
Time

Thanks for the info, none.

Artoo's subs look a lot like the way his sounds were conveyed in the old Marvel comics.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I would LOVE to see dubs of these along the lines of BACKSTROKE OF THE WEST.  Those lines above are priceless.

“You people must realize that the public owns you for life, and when you’re dead, you’ll all be in commercials dancing with vacuum cleaners.”

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time

Not having much luck getting this to work in VLC.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Geez... y'all are a lot more tech savvy than I am, apparently.  I was just hoping to download the whole dvd in torrent form or something.

Is this the same version of ROTJ that is part of the 5 Star DVD9 file on the spleen, or am I misunderstanding you?

"You don't want to wake the dragon." - Viserys Targaryen

Author
Time
Yes, it is from the 5 star version. I just figured I'd rip the subtitles for anyone interested in a good chuckle without having to download a whole DVD :)