logo Sign In

Info: Recommended Editions of Disney Animated (and Partially Animated) Features — Page 6

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I watched the old Limited Issue DVD of The Jungle Book yesterday.  Despite the muted colors, it looks all right to me, and I enjoyed watching it more than my 16:9 DVD, which appears to be Chinese.  (I can't remember where I bought it.) 

EDIT: Unfortunately, the 16:9 DVD won't rip.  AnyDVD stops ripping with an error:  PS12.  I think that I might have bought a Chinese copy inadvertently.

The old DVD has a 2.0 mix, which is 2.0 surround according to dvdcompare.  I wonder if it's from the same source as the 5.1 mix on the Platinum Edition.  It might be worth synchronizing the mono on the Platinum Edition to the video from the old DVD and seeing if something can be done about the colors.

Author
Time

That might work, actually. I wonder if they are just desaturated or if they are wrong altogether?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ww12345 said: I wonder if they are just desaturated or if they are wrong altogether?

Judging by the comparison in Doctor M's first post, I'd say that the colors on the '97 LD and '99 DVD look far too cool, whereas the '92 LD looks too pink.  Those on the 2007 DVD look the best (especially in the last screenshot, the one showing Hathi) so, in the absence of other evidence, it should be quite a good guide.

I'll have to look for another copy of the 2007 DVD.  It's annoying that my copy won't rip.

Author
Time

I put something together tonight because it seems possible that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs may never have been on home video unrestored.

While not from anything I would consider reference, it is a good idea of what  it may have looked like before being digital molested.

Anyway, it is a side-by-side comparison of the Diamond Edition DVD with a wartime short containing the same animation: http://youtu.be/gbMQg6kPqDQ

At 720p YouTube doesn't seemed to have damaged it too badly re-encoding, but I'll probably put a better version on MF for the guide.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Very interesting - I'll see if I can scan those frames from my print tomorrow and we can compare what a print looks like vs the video releases.

Author
Time

Anybody here win the Fantasia 35mm?

Author
Time

I may be getting a print of Pinocchio on Fuji stock, which would be much better than that Eastman...

Author
Time

OK, two updates:

I did get that Pinocchio print, and I did win the Magic and Music 16mm. Let's hope it is what we hope it is...

Here's the skinny on Pinocchio:

"Pinocchio (1940) Like New Print. Very Good color, contrast is a bit soft. Could be CRI print. Mylar stock. Mounted on 1x2000'ft reel and 1x1600'ft reel. Didn't see any splices. Complete print with titles."

Mylar=no vinegar, so it is a good print to add to my collection... Also might be a CRI, so that's even better.

Author
Time

Congrats on winning those. You could probably sell off the other reels in the batch and recoup your costs either way.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

True. I don't know what they might look like, but 3 other reels should bring $10-$15 a piece at least...

Author
Time

I got a Derran Peter Pan so will be checking that out shortly as well.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

Wow! You're going to need a climate controlled vault at this rate. ;)

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Wait - you mean not everybody has one?

Author
Time

ww12345, have you checked the print of Magic and Music yet? Does it have the uncensored scene?

Author
Time

Haven't gotten it in the mail yet - the seller was out of town, so they couldn't ship it until they got back - this morning. Unfortunately, it will go out Monday morning, so I probably won't get it until next Thurs. or Fri.  :S

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Oh, and I don't know if I said on here, but I also got a 16mm IB Tech scope version of Sleeping Beauty...

Author
Time

Sounds cool ww12345.  Let us know how things are looking.  I'm curious to know if the Sleeping Beauty print has as much information left/right as the recent home video releases.

Btw, for those not reading the 'Vault...' thread, I have finished a restored Make Mine Music.  I'm still pondering MySpleen versus MF.  I'm open to opinions.

Dr. M

Author
Time

MySpleen doesn't allow Disney, so that narrows it down...

@ww12345, I second that, some pictures of the IB would be great.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Already pre-approved by an admin at MySpleen.  MMM is not a recent film by any stretch, and it has never been released in this form commercially.

Edit: MySpleen even has free leech right now.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Just a comment.  I got to see some samples of Russian(?) sourced DVDs for Cinderella that predate the Lowry restoration... and the Laserdisc rip is better.

Almost thought I had something interesting to talk about...

Dr. M

Author
Time

That is fairly interesting.  I didn't even know that there were pre-Lowry, Russian-sourced DVDs of Cinderella.

Author
Time

Weird... The Russians have all the odd stuff... :)

Author
Time

The Russians used to have a very rich bootleg culture, after the fall of communism in 1991, films from the west that were only distributed on a very limited basis (Think China, but more relaxed) were now more readily available, but not through official channels.

The Cinderella looks like it is a LD rip, but a poorly made one, and has been transferred quickly with a Russian Goblin translation (One man reading all the parts with the original audio in the background, like the Polish Lektor)