Author
Doctor M
Parent topic
Info: Recommended Editions of Disney Animated (and Partially Animated) Features
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/653541/action/topic#653541
Date created
7-Aug-2013, 4:02 PM

ALSO, I compared the Platinum DVD of Cinderella to the Non-Lowry LD2DVD.

My opinion?  Disregard the screenshots.  Yes, there are some flaws and color changes.  It's not every frame that's wrong, it's just the occasional screw-up.

Detail lost in the magic dust?  Yeah, some frames.  But 9 times out of 10 they are sharper and are more numerous in the restored version.  In the LD they tend to be a fat blurry line instead of hundreds of sharp sparkles and specs.

The ribbon on the dress when it's being made with the missing outline?  The outline is missing in both the LD and the DVD when you have the same frame.  Where's the detail in the shoulder frills on the LD?  It's blown out.

Of course the laserdisc capture I'm working with could probably be better, but on the whole there is just more detail in the new transfers.

The Laserdisc has softer colors, is higher contrast, less detail, and I suspect vertical blurring (which would account for some of the magic dust being dimmer).  Those screenshots going around look a lot like they were hand picked to favor the LD.

There is some stuff that are wrong, but when comparing identical frames, what's gained is just better than the alternatives.  I favor the Lowry at least until someone does a film preservation anyway.

In order, Non-Lowry LD2DVD, Platinum Edition, Diamond Edition (DVD):

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us