Author
Anchorhead
Parent topic
Recasting our heroes
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/604996/action/topic#604996
Date created
2-Nov-2012, 9:12 PM

We've briefly touched on it since the news, so I thought I'd start a more serious discussion.  At this point, every side is saying all sorts of things about the seventh film.  Lucas is a consultant, Kennedy is a producer, Disney will listen and use their ideas, Disney won't use their ideas, no existing novels will be filmed, etc, etc, etc.

Truth is, nothing at all is decided yet.  It's just a bunch of glad-handing and mutual admiration from all parties.  I get that.  It's very early in the change-over.

With that in mind, I thought I'd toss out a few ideas for recasting our heroes.  I'm firmly in the camp that it can be done and that it should be done.  Weird CGI would (to me) be distracting. 

As I've said before, if you can recast Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Bones et al - as iconic a set of film characters as there has ever been - you can recast anyone, including Luke, Han, & Leia.  Not to mention the several times over recasting of 007 - all of which have worked well.

So without further ado, here are my two picks so far.  I've based it on the small samples I've seen of their work - plus a physical presence to the characters as written and acted. My picks are for stories that take place only a few years after the events in Return of the Jedi.

My pick for Leia;  Clea Duvall.

My pick for Han;  Chris Hemsworth.

I think both could pull it off and to me, both look like the characters the way they come to life in the novels.

Also, while they have said no existing novels, they could easily recant and go Thrawn.  I think the fan base would be very ok with that.  Personally, I would assume I should stop playing the lottery if they filmed them because all my karma would be spent.  ;-)

My absolutely no two ways about it pick for Mara would be Bryce Dallas Howard.

No one has jumped out at me for Luke or Lando, but I'm still working on it.