Author
auximenies
Parent topic
Raiders of The Lost Ark in IMAX!
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/594561/action/topic#594561
Date created
9-Sep-2012, 11:49 AM

I saw this Saturday morning. My dad was in town visiting and we surprised him by taking him and not telling what we were seeing until we arrived at the theater.  We both saw it back in 1981 in theaters.

First, to confirm some questions stemming from the Last Movie Seen thread as well as this one...

The movie i saw had no snake reflection and had the original cliff shot. Also, while the aspect ratio was correct (as expected, but this was brought up by a poster), they didn't matte the top and bottom of the screen with any curtain or whatever they use.

During the South America scenes, the picture seemed to be unstable (for lack of a better term) at moments. I wasn't sure if it was simply out of focus (and wondered about focus with digital projection*) or a result of digital squirelliness/artifacts.  But then it was clearly affecting only parts of the image, and was obviously artifactual. That really bummed me out, although it either improved over time or I became absorbed in the film and didn't notice.

So, while I certainly enjoyed the experience of sitting in a theater with my daughter and my father who are both big fans of this movie, I think i was a bit miffed that this screening cost more than if it had been a 35mm presentation which likely would have looked better.

*according to the Cinetopia website, "Digital projectors are focused by a computer and then locked in to perfect focus show after show"... FWIW.