logo Sign In

Info & Help: Looking for... Raiders Of The Lost Ark - on HDTV — Page 3

Author
Time
Originally posted by: TheCassidy
First off, here's the olive branch DFNYC. I was too harsh on you, so let's just leave it at that.

I'm not sure exactly what I have in these 4 discs of the 1080 'Raiders...'

I'm willing to come clean on something - I spent the better part of 3 hours analyzing footage looking for the following, which were "corrected" for the DVD release:

-The cobra reflection.
-The boulder guide track.
-Matte line removal.

I couldn't find a huge difference in the screenshots I took. The colour is a little less red in the HD version - I know that these have to be different than the DVD because the dirt and emulsion scratches are still present, which aren't as bad on the DVD.

So, at the end of the day, what do I have on my hard drive? A nice looking copy of 'Raiders' with the swearing cut for TV? I sure would like someone with a better eye for details than me to look at this thing...

I was really excited to have a kick ass version of the film without the digital alterations made, which apparently only matters to me, so I'll shut up about it now...

The cobra reflection is fairly obvious and easy to spot. Seeing as the video has more scratches, I'm going to say that it should be there (the superficial alterations were almost certainly done to the film AFTER the Lowry cleanup).

Author
Time
Originally posted by: PSYCHO_DAYV
Originally posted by: MeBeJedi
"Instead of Indy telling Belloq, "Son of a bitch," the word "bitch" is gone"

Interesting. I was under the impression that "bitch" was never said at all. Is it on the DVDs? I'll have to check that.

I GOT TO SEE RAIDERS ON THE BIG SCREEN (MOVIE THEATER) A FEW WEEKS AGO, AND I CAN CONFIRM THAT INDY DOES INDEED SAY, "SON OF A BITCH."

Hey I saw it in a theater recently too at SF's Castro theater which an old moviehouse from 1922 and seats 1400. They even have a guy come in playing the wurlitzer organ before the feature. So he played a suite from Advenures of Robin Hood from 1938 and ended with the Raiders theme before the movie started. Great to experience it in the theater gain with people who would hiss the villians, cheer the heror and applaud at the end. And yes, he does indeed say sonof a bitch. He also says holy shit when the nazi sub shows up.

There's good in the Original Trilogy, and it's worth fighting for.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
http://www.myspace.com/harlock415
Author
Time

Should bloopers be preserved? Discuss.
Author
Time
I was talking about stuff like the snakes reflection in the glass. That's a blooper isn't it? Clearly not intended to be there in the first place, like a boom mic coming into the shot. Anyway it was just a tongue in cheek comment, henece the smiley, I wasn't intending to divert the thread with it.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Jobel
I was talking about stuff like the snakes reflection in the glass. That's a blooper isn't it? Clearly not intended to be there in the first place, like a boom mic coming into the shot. Anyway it was just a tongue in cheek comment, henece the smiley, I wasn't intending to divert the thread with it.

I wouldn't consider those bloopers. They're more like technical gaffes or something along those lines.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: digitalfreaknyc
Originally posted by: Jobel

I wouldn't consider those bloopers. They're more like technical gaffes or something along those lines.

I HAVE TO AGREE.

"I'VE GROWN TIRED OF ASKING, SO THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME..."
The Mangler Bros. Psycho Dayv Armchaireviews Notes on Suicide

Author
Time
Well looking at the dictionary a Gaffe is the same thing as a blooper. I think I should have said 'technical blooper' to be more specifiic. Should they be preserved?
Author
Time
Most people have the idea of "bloopers" being people flubbing their line or falling down because of stuff like Worlds Funniest Bloopers. A blooper is really just a mistake. When actors make bloopers they usually forget lines and burst out laughing and stuff, and when technitions do it its usually less-entertaining stufff like boom mics in the shot and safety wires visible.
Author
Time
Bringing this thread I up again, I just wanted to let you know that alt.binaries.hdtv.repost currently has "Raiders" (both in 720p and 1080p HDTV) and "Temple" (in 720p) up. I didn't bother downloading more than just a snippet of "Temple", and since it's just 720p it doesn't look noticably better than the DVD (and the DVD-quality of the trilogy is stunning enough to ditch 720p). Plus I don't know which version of "Temple" it is.
Author
Time
Well, the UK-version is cut in several places... the other versions are not.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Laserschwert
Well, the UK-version is cut in several places... the other versions are not.

I did bring this up a while back, but nobody took any notice.

I would assume that it is the US cut as I believe that none of the Indy HD movies have been shown in the UK yet, but I maybe wrong.

Author
Time
has anyone actually ever done a HDtoDVD project with Raiders of the Lost Ark or Temple of doom theatrical versions?

They would be awesome having the 2.0 sound mix and just the original way they looked in theaters without lowry cleanup.

If not does anyone know where you can download them, I don't need a link just a hint for what to look for on google.

Was a HD broadcast on last crusade ever done?

also these files must be like 15 gigs at least.

Has anyone ever captured the audio off the THX VHS tapes ?

years ago they were supposed to release full bitrate PCM audio versions of the trilogy on laserdisc under the THX laserdisc program sadly they were cancelled and never released.

and regardless of whatever anyone thinks on these boards I like the digital audio letterbox laserdisc with CX noise reduction, soundtrack John Willams music has suprising better fidelity on this release over the current dvd one.

Sure the 5.1 ambience is nice and is based on burt's original 6 track but the sound effects tend to drown the music and dialogue out.

And there was no isolated tracks on the dvd's purhaps someone could create one from the expanded cd release and LP for at least raiders. I know film score monthly released a expanded temple of doom cd.

The only expanded last crusade I know of is a bootleg CD. and as much as I like last crusade's music they cheaped out and did not use the LSO like on the first 2 films hopefully on Indy IV they will be back with maestro williams.

one thing I forgot to ask , are the HD broadcasts of the indy films oar our cropped for widscreen televisions.

IF they are cropped that surely would suck, right?

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: skyjedi2005
has anyone actually ever done a HDtoDVD project with Raiders of the Lost Ark or Temple of doom theatrical versions?

They would be awesome having the 2.0 sound mix and just the original way they looked in theaters without lowry cleanup.

If not does anyone know where you can download them, I don't need a link just a hint for what to look for on google.

Was a HD broadcast on last crusade ever done?

also these files must be like 15 gigs at least.

Has anyone ever captured the audio off the THX VHS tapes ?

years ago they were supposed to release full bitrate PCM audio versions of the trilogy on laserdisc under the THX laserdisc program sadly they were cancelled and never released.

and regardless of whatever anyone thinks on these boards I like the digital audio letterbox laserdisc with CX noise reduction, soundtrack John Willams music has suprising better fidelity on this release over the current dvd one.

Sure the 5.1 ambience is nice and is based on burt's original 6 track but the sound effects tend to drown the music and dialogue out.

And there was no isolated tracks on the dvd's purhaps someone could create one from the expanded cd release and LP for at least raiders. I know film score monthly released a expanded temple of doom cd.

The only expanded last crusade I know of is a bootleg CD. and as much as I like last crusade's music they cheaped out and did not use the LSO like on the first 2 films hopefully on Indy IV they will be back with maestro williams.

DJ attempted an HD2DVD of 'Raiders' but it gave him a really hard time because the commercial cuts were throwing everything off. Apart from a really nice picture, the only difference between the HD broadcast and the commercially available DVD was the TV edited dialogue track with no swearing.

Author
Time
yes but if there are no edits to the picture surely you could replace the soundtrack/dialogue track with one without cuts or censors.

as for the commercial cuts I for one could live with them, as the film is not retouched digitally.

I have read reviews and I would have to concur that the picture on the dvd's suffer from compression and they picture is darker than it should be and the constrast was was too high.

No one should ever trust Lowry to retouch the color of there films, they did a complete hack job on star wars.

and now the color job as nice as it looks on the new bond dvd's is not what the orginal cinematographer intended the shots look overly blue hued and way too much brightness/contrast ajustment just like on the afforementioned films. I also find their "Digital film grain" to be extremely annoying and laughable.

If you watch any of the old criterion bond laserdisc releases you will see what the cinematographer and terrence young wanted the movie to look like, although by the time it was presented on disc the print was dirty amd dammaged a bit.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

There is a complete Raiders 2CD that I released. All the cues are without sound effects.

There was never an expanded TOD release...EVER.

I believe the HD versions of the first two movies were just 720p. I could be wrong.

And I always find it funny when people want a movie "just the way it looked in theaters"...20 years later. Do you really think you remember it?
Author
Time

There is a complete Raiders 2CD that I released. All the cues are without sound effects.

I believe the HD versions of the first two movies were just 720p. I could be wrong.

And I always find it funny when people want a movie "just the way it looked in theaters"...20 years later. Do you really think you remember it?

If I want 'Raiders' the way I remember it looking, I'll need to get ahold of a 35mm print scratched to shit.
Author
Time

If I want 'Raiders' the way I remember it looking, I'll need to get ahold of a 35mm print scratched to shit.

exactly.

that was the first time i saw it in theaters was in a rhode island movie theater about 4 years ago. But then I had the pleasure of seeing a brand new 35mm print...which probably looked a lot like the DVD's
Author
Time

IIRC, Raiders and TOD were among the "test" titles released without any mention of THX on the packaging. (The others were Apocalypse Now and Star Trek 6.) They were "unofficial" in that the final specs for THX Laserdiscs had not been decided on, but the widescreen remasters went through what became THX mastering. Not sure about Last Crusade, as it I think it came out in widescreen before the others.
Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
Originally posted by: SilverWook

IIRC, Raiders and TOD were among the "test" titles released without any mention of THX on the packaging. (The others were Apocalypse Now and Star Trek 6.) They were "unofficial" in that the final specs for THX Laserdiscs had not been decided on, but the widescreen remasters went through what became THX mastering. Not sure about Last Crusade, as it I think it came out in widescreen before the others.

Last Crusade came out in 90 with the regular VHS and S-VHS releases.
Author
Time
There are times I wish I had picked up a couple S-VHS titles when I actually saw them. If only to prove they exist!
Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
the only difference between the HD broadcast and the commercially available DVD was the TV edited dialogue track with no swearing.

What swearing? I think Indy says 'shit' once in DOOM.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: cashflagg
the only difference between the HD broadcast and the commercially available DVD was the TV edited dialogue track with no swearing.

What swearing? I think Indy says 'shit' once in DOOM.

I thought we were talking 'Raiders.' But if you want specifics, here goes.

'Raiders' - Goddamned, Son Of A Bitch, Holy Shit
'TOD' - Bastards, Shit
'Last Crusade' - Jesus Christ

I've watched 'em a couple of times.