logo Sign In

Rad (1986) (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7338/rad018dx.jpg

I don’t know if anyone here will find this of interest, but this is a project I am currently working on. The 1986 BMX classic, Rad, has never been released on DVD, and who knows if it ever will be. This is not a great movie by cinematic standards, but cult classics rarely are.

I own the laserdisc which I am using as the source. The LD is not that great quality-wise, but it is certainly better than the ever-aging VHS tapes.

The final output will be a single layer DVD featuring DD 2.0 sound and MPEG 2.0 audio, animated menus and chapter selection. The film is presented in 1.33:1 full screen as that is the only way it has been released. If there is interest in this, it may find its way to a.b.dvdr.

I realize that there are many bootlegs of this film out there already. There’s certainly no shortage on ebay. But you really don’t know what you’re getting, and this is something I wanted to do for myself anyway.

***I have also noticed that Rad will be airing on INHD2 on April 17th. I don’t currently have the ability to receive, much less capture, HD programming, but if someone here does, PLEASE capture it.
http://www.inhd.com/product.jsp?prodId=37552&mp=cb2

The Starkiller's Guide to the Mono Sound Mix

Author
Time
I would definately try to get a capture of the HDTV broadcast. I live in the UK, so I cannot capture it, but I download alot of HD material - I will keep a look out for it.

NeilB
Author
Time
I'd love to see this, let me know when it's finished.
Don't Make Me Destroy You!
Author
Time
I have a the RAD Soundtrack for your project.. Let me know

Remember, Highlander, you’ve both still got your full measure of life. Use it well, and your future will be glorious.

Author
Time
OOPs! as well as a Laserdisc transfer from a trader from years ago. However, the HD may be the better, we will see...

Remember, Highlander, you’ve both still got your full measure of life. Use it well, and your future will be glorious.

Author
Time
Hi, has anyone made a DVD of Rad? I've been looking around now that it's been played on inHD in Widescreen 1:1.85. Does anyone know of any torrents for this?? All the ebay versions are the old VHS rip.
I'm thinking of getting metal legs.
Author
Time
rad and gleaming the cube hold a weird spot in my heart still

either would be great to have on dvd, an HD>DVD would be just fantastic
Author
Time
Dude, that's like... totally RAD!

Go for it! I am very into the idea of this being preserved on DVD. I spent quite a bit of time on a BMX freestyle bike myself back in the mid-80s (when I couldn't get hold of a skateboard), so this one is definitely close to my heart. Along with BMX Bandits, it was about the only BMX movie out there then, and was big news for me at the time. I found BMX Bandits on DVD at a truck stop for 3 bucks a while back--score!

Speaking of Gleaming The Cube, don't forget Thrashin! as well! Both are available on DVD, though, but Rad! still is not.

Sounds like a project.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
FYI RAD was posted in the newsgroups and it's awsome in HD!
Author
Time
Any way to get it to My Spleen or the Demon?
Author
Time
I think it would be faster to get it from the groups or PIF, no? My upspeed hovers around 10k, it was posted in a.b.hdtv.
Author
Time
Would anyone be so kind as to PIF the HD version? I would return the favor.

Author
Time
The HD version looks fantastic. Unfortunately, there is an INHD² watermark on the image. But even worse, it has been cropped to 16:9 and a lot of image has been lost at the top and bottom. Nevertheless, it is leaps and bounds better than my laserdisc.

HD:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4384/radhd7gj8.jpg

Laserdisc:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5475/radld7sn4.jpg

The Starkiller's Guide to the Mono Sound Mix

Author
Time
I think some people don't understand what PIF means.

PIF stands for Pay It Forward. The originator of an edit/preservation posts a copy to a person in return for a pledge from that person to send out (usually three) more copies to others, who then in turn each send out 3 more copies, and so on.

In this case, the person who capped the broadcast chose instead to upload it to the newsgroup as a quicker way of immediately sharing it with a large number of people. There is no obligation on anyone who downloads it to forward it on.

PIF does not mean "please send me something for free". If that's what you're asking, then be clear about it. On the other hand, if you're willing to contribute blanks and postage, then say so. (For an HD capture, the raw files would span over I guess about 3 or 4 single layer DVDs.)

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
It may take a till next week but I can PIF to the original author and 2 others via snail mail if needed.
Author
Time
mrwhitehc - if you'll send to me, I'll try to PIF it. I don't have a dual layer burner (yet), but maybe I can do some voodoo to get it on a regular DVD. Or I'll just buy a DL burner. :-)
Author
Time
I'm with you andy_k_250. I've been reading these boards for quite a while (the OCP and DE edits of Star Wars are great - and the ADM Prequils are WAY more watchable than the theatrical releases) :-) I NEVER thought I'd see anything about Rad out here. What a guilty pleasure for children of the 80's. :-)