logo Sign In

Post #637329

Author
AntcuFaalb
Parent topic
ROTJ is the best Star Wars film... discuss!
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/637329/action/topic#637329
Date created
3-May-2013, 4:25 PM

Hey, it's me. said:

AntcuFaalb said:

I guess my opinion is unpopular here, but I'll repeat it again because the meat of what I'm trying to say is hidden in that big comment block in my previous post.

I love Star Wars, I really do, but I fail to see its value as anything more than a three-part morality tale with great characters, creatures, and Jim Henson Muppet-monsters.

I just don't see the point in bickering about the ROTJ plot. It fits in with the others because they're collectively just three silly little movies. That is, they're three very successful and entertaining movies, but silly little ones nonetheless. Enjoy them!

Star Wars =/= Citizen Kane

Well on that basis theres nothing subjective or contentious about them so lets just all give up and get on with our lives. (?)

We shouldn't give up. Preserving the OOT is about preserving film history. I can think of many sillier films that deserve preservation as well.

I just have trouble understanding why someone would enjoy ROTJ less. It's a popcorn-flick just like TESB.

The three films are not literary masterpieces and they were never intended to be. Evaluating them on that basis doesn't do justice to what George Lucas was trying to achieve.

They're supposed to be entertaining like the Flash Gordon serials of yesteryear, nothing more.