logo Sign In

RETURN OF THE JEDI 1983 THEATRICAL VERSION RECONSTRUCTION DVD by Harmy (MKV, NTSC DVD5 AND PAL DVD9 AVAILABLE)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RETURN OF THE JEDI - ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION RECONSTRUCTION

This is a little Leia to Adywan's Luke. It is an anamorphic reconstruction of the original cut of ROTJ using the HD broadcast of the 2004 version, the GOUT and GKAR German anamorphic digi broadcast of 97SE.

Here is what is changed back to the original version:

FYI: The whole ending celebration is completely back to the original state and the whole film is colour corrected - Here's a colour correction comparison, left is SE right is the RECONSTRUCTION:

The colours are not 100% faithful because it's a JPG but it gives you the general idea - it's pretty subtle for the most part.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

ORIGINAL 1st POST:

______________________________________________________________________________________________

OK, I got my good computer back from service and that means I can start working on this soon. 

As I already despecialized and colour corrected about 90% of Jedi for my partly-despecialized edition AVCHD and I (along with other people) thought it was pretty much succesful even at 1080p and some people asked me to do an SD version, I decided to make a full theatrical recontruction DVD. I'd like to thank Ericstormtrooper, who said he'd try and help me get the unmasking (and I hope the Rancor as well) scene from GKAR Jedi so I should be able to use that.

I'm gonna try and fix all the changes listed here http://picasaweb.google.com/doubleofive/StarWarsComOfficial2004ChangesRotJ

exept probably some recomposited FX shots.

I'd be very gratefull if someone could point out some further changes that are not on this list if there are some. And also if there are some more things that were not changed in 97 apart from Rancor, eyebrows and ghosts...

Like I said, I already despecialized like 90% for PDE, so it shouldn't really take long to do this but I don't wanna rush it either...

I'm planing on doing both PAL and NTSC versions of this.

Author
Time

Sorry, I made the Partly Despecialized Edition for watching in HD, this is only gonna be an anamorphic DVD (I'll have to use a lot more GOUT for this one). I'm gonna do a new version of the PDE with possibly some more despecializations when the Blu-Rays come out, but for now I'm fine with the current PDE of Jedi to watch in HD.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Wow they really messed up jedi's color timing in 2004.

I had completely forgotten about that.  Though i did remember they added Hayden so i watched this disc only once.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

All 3 movies' color timings were completely scrooged for the 2004 DVDs, not just Jedi.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Empire was the most affected.

Author
Time

Unfortunately the same guys did the Arrested Development DVDs.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6qjMaQb-rIU/TESNgsVNnhI/AAAAAAAAAoU/CfVagxKq1LM/s1600/cross.jpg

Author
Time

:P

Anyway, to make up for my derailment, I'll try to post something on-topic this time.  I'm thrilled with Harmy's ROTJ:PDE, but it's great that he's providing this for those who want it.

Author
Time

Agreed, I'm very excited about this.  It'll be the perfect companion piece to Ady's ESB reconstruction.

Now we just need someone to do a proper ANH recon ...

Oh, by the way, Harmy - are you planning on doing color correction on this?  That would definitely seal the deal for me.

Author
Time

Cool.  :)

Will it have the same frame count as the GOUT, so that determined users can add their own preferred mixes?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ChainsawAsh said:

I agree i have waited for someone to do a fan reconstruction of star wars after seeing what was possible with Adywan's revisited.  I was completely depressed by the fact the vintage edit never came to be.

Since Adywan is not available i wonder who will do star wars, i am sure people want empire revisited than they want to see the real movies restored since they have seen them hundreds of times.

I have got the Gout fanamorphic someplace on disc but making it resized for anamorphic does not make the source any better.

It is actually worse because it is compressed for single layer.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

Thanks for doing this. I really need a new ROTJ 1983 Preservation disc for my collection. :)

You know what you should do, have the 5.1 track with Han saying "It's alright I can see alot better" and the 2.0 laserdisc/ 2006 GOUT mix with Han saying "It's alright, trust me." Would that be a cool idea?

Author
Time

adywan said:

ChainsawAsh said:

Agreed, I'm very excited about this.  It'll be the perfect companion piece to Ady's ESB reconstruction.

I'm going to be doing ANH reconstruction after ESB:R is finished

Wow man you are awesome. 

Author
Time

adywan said:

O_o

umm...

THAT'S FRICKIN AWESOME!

You know of the rebellion against the Empire?

Author
Time

Gotta say I'm definitely looking forward to both of these. =)

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

adywan said:

ChainsawAsh said:

... Wasn't it what the "purist edition" meant to be ? Just curious.

Author
Time

No, the "purist edition" is just Revisited without added music, and with the scene in Obi-Wan's hut restored to its theatrical cut.  (I think one or two other things may be different.)  But other than that, it's Revisited, just ... less revisited.

And Ady, that is bloody fantastic news!  I know it's early, but do you think you'll be using the 1977 crawl, or the 1981 crawl?

Author
Time

WOW! Adywan's making a ANH preservation too! Can't wait for those two to come out! :)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

adywan said:

ChainsawAsh said:

*SPIT TAKE*

I did not expect that. Awesome! Apparently I already started a checklist for you. ;-)

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

adywan said:

Amazing news , cant wait .

Author
Time

A big thank you to Harmy for giving us The Return Of The Jedi theatrical edition. Thanks Harmy .

Author
Time

Oh my god, my thread was hijacked, I wonder if they'll want ransom...

Well, I guess I had it coming, I did the same thing to Ady's ESB reconstruction thread with this, only the force is stronger with Ady :-)

ChainsawAsh said:

Oh, by the way, Harmy - are you planning on doing color correction on this?  That would definitely seal the deal for me.

I will be using ROTJ:PDE as the basis for this and that is already colour corrected, although having watched the PDE properly now, I spotted some places where I'll need to correct the correction, so it should be even better in that aspect :-)

hairy_hen said:

Cool.  :)

Will it have the same frame count as the GOUT, so that determined users can add their own preferred mixes?

It will, I was actually gonna ask if it would be possible to use your new 5.1 mix that you recreated for Dark Jedi's  ROTJ.