logo Sign In

R2D2's gender

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think he's a girl, like Jabba.

;-)

But seriously, it's been pretty well established that R2 is "male".

Author
Time

He says he's found the main control to the power beam that's holding the ship here.  He'll try to make the precise location appear on the monitor.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time
 (Edited)

Wow, looks like someone has watched the movies maybe once or so. ;)

Tim will never cuddle with his R2-D2 plushie in quite the same way again...

But this topic made me realize, while the PT is full of droids that are clearly intended to be female, in the OT you see no such thing. Which made me realize that in the OT droids have a much more practical design to them in general, and look like machines that were made with the purpose to get their job done.

In the PT you have all sorts of ridiculously fancy droids with dumb superficial designs like mohawks or the waitressbot at the diner.

When I was a kid I liked to look at the various droids in Star Wars and imagine what parts they might have inside to make them work. If it had been the PT I had seen as a kid instead of the OT, I don't think my young mind would have spent any time considering that sort of thing, anymore than I spent time wondering what must have been inside Bugs Bunny to make him work.

Author
Time

CP3S said:

Tim will never cuddle with his R2-D2 plushie in quite the same way again...

Har har. For some reason, I had got it into my head that the relationship between Luke and Artoo was like a guy and his kid sister. I guess little brother works too.

ROTJ Storyboard Reconstruction Project

Author
Time

That just made me remember that my cousin used to insist that R5-D4 was R2's sister.

Author
Time

CP3S said:

... anymore than I spent time wondering what must have been inside Bugs Bunny to make him work.

Notice how I didn't say anything back there?

Author
Time

Anyone want to make a joke about the little stick that comes out of R2 when he's hacking something? Anyone?

Author
Time

TML said:

Anyone want to make a joke about the little stick that comes out of R2 when he's hacking something? Anyone?

Dude, did you just commission a joke?

Author
Time
I thought Anchorhead made that joke way, way, way up there, actually, but nobody seemed to notice.  But maybe he just quoted that because of its use of pronouns.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time

Well there have been those times when 3P0 and R2 were off together...alone...getting oil baths...and...going down to maintenance...

Seriously I never pictured R2 as a female robot. I can't say I've ever really thought about robot sexes until now. 3P0 does always say he, but we tend to not personalize machines all that much.

Then again HAL did have a sister unit in the book...

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

I always thought of R2 as kind of a really clever puppy... like the Littlest Hobo, or Lassie.

I know dogs have genders, but they don't really matter when you're stuck in a well.

Author
Time

CP3S said:

I don't think my young mind would have spent any time considering that sort of thing, anymore than I spent time wondering what must have been inside Bugs Bunny to make him work.

Now that you mention it, what does make Bugs work?

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

xhonzi said:

CP3S said:

I don't think my young mind would have spent any time considering that sort of thing, anymore than I spent time wondering what must have been inside Bugs Bunny to make him work.

Now that you mention it, what does make Bugs work?

A wife and kids to support.