little-endian
Parent topic
Preserving DTS LaserDisc tracks, specifically Jurassic Park
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/736273/action/topic#736273
Date created
17-Nov-2014, 5:54 PM

Hello everyone,

after quite some time, I wanted to enjoy Jurassic Park once again, so I grabbed the MKV I created, containing the “official” 7.1 mix from the regular Blu-ray-release as well to be able to switch between the tracks for comparison. And I encountered some quite disturbing difference between the mixes.

First of all, I haven’t ruled out the possibility that something funky is going on with my playback system yet, however to make sure at least that it’s not due to any downmix-clipping as I’m listening to 4.1 only, I took the original file which I had losslessly converted to FLAC some time ago and listened to the center channel alone, separated by eac3to - same result:

At 30:40, Ian Malcolm starts with the sentence “John, the kind of control you’re attempting is not possible.” and at about 30:43, especially his “not possible” sounds (slightly) distorted - whereas in the 7.1 mix it doesn’t.

In general, Malcolm’s voice sounds somehow slightly crackling to my ears on the preserved 5.1 mix, also when they’re sitting on the table to discuss the whole idea of recreating dinosaurs.

Another oddity, however present on both mixes: at 35:26, right before Donald starts with “It’s hardly appropriate to start hurling accusations”, there is some weird scratching sound for a very short moment, which reminds me of an old vinyl. I wonder what that is and if it was intended that way. Maybe I missed something here.

Can anyone concur?

PS: @bevil/nafroe: I could provide you the file as well, either in DTS-HD MA or the (smaller) FLAC.