logo Sign In

Obi-Wan cut in half?

Author
Time

Hello all,
I'm a newbie to the forum, though I have been lurking for a while (and am enjoying the GOUT, Harmy's Despecialized editions, and the Puggos!).
I have a question about something I remember seeing in the past. I have a memory of Obi-Wan being killed by being cut in half, and some special effects around his midline happening. I don't have a copy of the 97SE to find out if it was there. What edition has this change, if any? I may have just seen it in a Behind the Magic clip, but I know such a shot exists somewhere.

Thanks for the help!

Author
Time

It happened.  Lucas realized he could make twice the money by splitting him in two.  Knock Peter Jackson all you want, but Lucas did it first.

Author
Time

You may be thinking of an outtake where Ben is cut in half and the top half floats for a few seconds before falling.  I believe it can be seen on the Empire of Dreams documentary, but it may be elsewhere, too.

Author
Time

That's the one. It is in Empire of Dreams, somewhere; trying to find it now.
So that's an outtake, not actually in any of the editions of the movies? If so, then I must remember it from Behind the Magic.

Author
Time

It's a blooper essentially.

The robe was meant to fall in two halves (as in the comic and I think novel versions) but the effect never worked so they used the slow motion collapsing robe effect instead.

Author
Time

It's in Empire of Dreams at 49:50 on the Youtube version. Where else is this version seen? I've started searching through my Behind the Magic disk but it'll take a while... Was this take never released to the public?

Author
Time

arcanius said:

It's in Empire of Dreams at 49:50 on the Youtube version. Where else is this version seen? I've started searching through my Behind the Magic disk but it'll take a while... Was this take never released to the public?

It's in Empire of Dreams at 49:50 on the Youtube version :-D

Author
Time

Although there is a portion in "Empire of Dreams", it's originally from "The Making of Star Wars"...a segment explaining how the practical effect wasn't working.