logo Sign In

New Star wars books and other fiction and books thread

Author
Time
has anyone read Allegiance yet by timothy zahn?

I am about halfway through and I must say it is a pretty sweet book.

one funny thing about the book is the icon icorrectly states it as a prequel era novel when it clearly is set after a new hope and before the empire strikes back. Which is classic era and has the imperial insignia.

Also it describes mara's lightsaber as magenta in the book. on the back cover art her saber is crimson red like a sith's saber, like vader's or sidious.

I have a feeling the rare purple chrystal the emperor gave mara in the book (spoilers) was taken from maces lightsaber though it does not say so.

Tempest was also a pretty decent book but I do not like how the galaxy is plunged into darkness again by the skywalker bloodline.

Waiting for exile to come out as well as the first legacy comics series TPB.

I am also looking forward to a dance with dragons by George R.R. Martin and the final wheel of time novel from the very ill robert jordan.

also volume 3 in the inheritance trilogy.

the most eagerly anticipated book by far this year for me is the children of hurin edited by christopher tolkien and illustrated by alan lee. as well as the history of the hobbit.

I am also eagerly anticipating the making of star wars book introduced by peter jackson.

I am very much looking forward to neon genesis evangelion manga volume 10 from viz.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
hmm hey man this should go in the general starwars if your talking about star wars.

i havent gotten to allegence yet but its on my list.

i personally amreally liking the extreme darkness of the legacy saga. its almost like anakins fall told properly. there great books jacens character is very interesting. the only beef i have is WHY WHY kill anakin WHY did they have to do it in star by star. they had just spent 2 full books building up his character and then BOOM ANAKIN IS GONE ARG.i dont think ill ever forget lucas fiction for that.
Author
Time
Shim, this is the right place for it, he mentioned a lot more than SW books (though I suppose he could remove "Star wars" from the thread title). Whoa, I didn't even know Zahn had another book out since Outbound Flight. Sounds interesting. His later stuff isn't as good as his first books though.

I am definitely looking forward to The History of the Hobbit. Though I am not so sure about Children of Hurin. Just because Christopher Tolkien bears the last name of Tolkien doesn't mean he is his father, who was an irreplaceable loss to the literary world. With that said, I think it will be interesting to see what Christopher does with the work. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised. but Definitely looking forward to History of the Hobbit, I just wish it was one volume for my pocketbook's sake.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
The whole Legacy of the Force arc has pretty muched turned me off of of EU books, but if Allegiance is set between Yavin and Endor, it sounds like something worth picking up. As long as it doesnt' have anything to do with the bloody Outbound Flight.

Author
Time
Didn't the Outbound Flight take place during the Clone Wars? How could a book set in between Yavin and Endor have anything to do with it since little to do with it resurfaced again until 5 years after Endor, right?

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
Zahn's books from before and after the SW saga have all had something or another to do with the outbound flight. It was an interesting bit of back story in his first trilogy, but I have to agree with Chaltab, time for something new. I am willing to bet it is at least mentioned in the new book.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape