logo Sign In

NOW RELEASED: The Godfather: 1901-1980 Epic Edit — Page 5

Author
Time

Hello and thank you sir for putting this magnificent edit together. 

I am having some problems if anyone can help.  I am using Roxio Toast to make the DVD's and have managed to do 1 and 2.  Part 3 gives me a error message and the little capacity bar next to the burn button gives me just about a third filled though the time readout states 1:56.  I can only guess that there are some sort of errors in the data.  When I play it through VLC player it stops and starts a few times catching up after a few seconds. 

The 5th disc aborts writing telling me I have an I/O error and that the disc might be protected. The 4th part has not finished downloading yet. 

Anyone have any ideas as to how to correct the errors and or if there is another way to burn them to disc?  Sorry if I sound like a moron but I/m kind of a newbie at this stuff.

Thanks.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

My brother had an account. No worries. Can't wait to see this thing with my Dad and brothers next weekend!

I really really really need an invite code to Demonoid.. Please, help!

Can someone shoot me an invite code?? Thanks so much. I've been following this topic for years and missed FF's posting that they are up.

MANY MANY THANKS FF!!!

For the record... I check every year in June because it's my Dad's b-day month/Father's Day. He is a Godfather nut!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

FF... I am amazed... truly amazed. I've only gotten Part 3 down so far, but I popped it in to see what I was in for after all this time.... WOW... I am a "fan edit" fan now. "Epic Edit" doesn't even do it justice. Fantastic work. Can't wait for the rest to come down.

Thank you for all the time you took with this great project.

-------------******--------------

Update: 6/11... going on day 4.

Have parts 1, 3 and 4 down. No one is seeding part 2. :(

What I have is amazing! Can't wait to view it all.

-------------******--------------

Update: 6/16

For those wondering, the original trilogy clocks in at about 9.1 hours. FF's epic edit is almost 10.45 hours... epic indeed.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This looks like a terrific amount of hard work and the quality is on the screen!

Nice job!

This is a nice addition to my video collection which includes The Godfather 1901-1959: The Complete Epic on VHS, The Godfather DVD Collection and the recent addition from eBay: The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980 on Laserdisc (which I was going to digitize until I discovered your version).

I am currently watching Disk 1, and I have a question:

Was your intention to add all deleted scenes into your version?

If my recollection is correct, the only version of the the extended releases I ever saw was the home video release of The Godfather 1901-1959: The Complete Epic in the 80s ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Godfather_Saga http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.com/epic/ ).  In that version, Tom Hagen is having dinner with the movie producer Woltz and is thrown out and as he is leaving he sees the young acting protegee on the upstairs balcony.

The next scene is Hagen back in New York with Vito discussing the ways to get at Woltz, including his exposure for having a sexual relationship with his underage protege.  Then we see Woltz in bed the next morning awakening with the horse's head.

This New York discussion scene is missing from your version.

It appears that this might be the same meeting where Vito, Sonny and Tom discuss Sollozzo's proposal for drug dealing, which is next in your version (not so, see my UPDATE below).

Was this a creative deletion on your part?  Are there others?  Thanks again!

UPDATE:  I see from rereading your first post, that you changed your mind about including any footage from VHS sources (chosing better quality Laserdisc sources instead), hence extra scenes in the EPIC that are not included in the TRILOGY would not be included in your version.

Another website post indicates that this scene concludes with Vito telling Tom to send Luca Brasi to Hollywood to take care of Woltz; which makes more sense in dealing with the beheading of the racehorse.

NOTE: Using Handbrake to convert to H.264 with AAC stereo audio in AppleTV format slims this project down to 6.83Gigs.

LAST QUESTION (for now!): I assume that the advantage of using the Collector's Edition on laserdisc, instead of the DVD versions, is the aspect ratio of 1.33 to 1; is that correct?  So, does that mean you reduced the aspect ratio of the deleted scenes from The DVD Collection? And, if so, how did you achieve that result with your tools?

Author
Time

how do you get this edit..is there a torrent out there to download

Author
Time

FanFiltration said:

I want to use the DVD set as the source master, but the theatrical versions are anamorphic 16:9 and the deleted and extra scenes are all full frame open matte. I could try and create letterbox versions of the deleted and extra scenes, but that would mess up the sub-titles that would be cropped over. So new sub-titles would have to be made to match the rest of the film, and done in a way to cover up any of the original ones that may still show after cropping.

You don't have to crop the exact centre of the frame. You could (and with cropping 4:3 to widescreen, that's usually the better choice anyway) leave more of the upper part of the frame and less of the bottom, thus covering the subs altogether.

Author
Time

jswert123 said:

how do you get this edit..is there a torrent out there to download

jswert123 said:

where is this availbile

jswert123 said:

where is the artwork for this set

LOL

Author
Time

jswert123 said:

where is artwork for this set

I don't think anyone ever offered to make any.

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

Aw, c'mon FF, don't answer!  It's more fun to see how many times you'll get the same question. ;-)

Author
Time

im a idiot....ive never seen the godfather..........ive tried many times....gues i just wasnt in right frame of mind when i sat down to watch it....will watching this "edit" influence me or will this be good way to introduce me to the  saga

Author
Time

I think the best way to first see these films is by watching the theatrical versions first. Then go back later if you truly enjoy the saga, and look at this version with these extra scenes.  The extra scenes are not required at all to experience to beauty of these films. The original theatrical versions stand very well on their own, and they have the awards to prove it.

Besides the official DVD looks fantastic compared to this full screen Laserdisc sourced edit.

FF

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

so the "coppola restoration dvd/ blu ray" wasnt used as source material....seems like those would be very good quality to work with

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Subject to correction, the "missing scenes" are only available in "full-screen" and not "wide-screen" formats; hence this fan edit was completed in "full-screen" format for consistency.

As Fanfiltration suggests, watch the original movies first: purchasing the Coppola restoration DVDs are an excellent way to watch them now.

Probably it was Coppola who started the progression towards adding back "deleted scenes" in rereleased versions of a movie.  Usually one can realize why the director decided to delete the scenes in the first place.  But for truly iconic movies, such as the Godfather series, it is fun to see what was left on the cutting room floor in context of the film itself and not just as "extras" on a DVD.

It was financial considerations that led Coppola to start this practice.  NBC had already aired Godfather I and II separately, when Coppola was running into financial overages (for which he was committed to cover) on his Apocolypse Now epic.  

So he sold NBC on the idea of running both films again as a four night mini-series, with the films re-edited chronologically.  And he used the occasion to add about 75 minutes of deleted material, since for network television he had to remove some of the heavy violence footage.  

If my memory serves me well, I believe that Coppola supervised this edit by satellite from the Philippenes (a first for the use of this technology), where he was producing Apocolypse Now.  This version aired in November, 1977 as The Godfather Saga.

Given the rising importance of the home video market in the early 1980's, Paramount offered Coppola the opportunity to release this concept on home video.  Coppola restored the missing violence, tighten up some of the editing choices and made some different choices on which deleted scenes were restored to the project.  This was released in 1981 as The Godfather 1902 - 1959: The Complete Epic.

Following the release of The Godfather Part III, another compilation in chronological order with a different set of missing scenes was released in 1992 as The Godfather Trilogy: 1901–1980, but only on VHS and Laserdisc and never on DVD.

I believe that Fanfiltration has restored all of the missing scenes with the exception of those exclusive to The Godfather Saga version, since a high quality copy of that version is unavailabe (recent re-telecasts on television have been on cable channels that superimpose logos and other promotional material on screen during their telecast and it was never released to home video as this version).

There is a website that details all of the deleted scenes, but I do not have a link readily available.  Some research on Google and you should find it (and be sure to share its address with us when you do).

Enjoy!!!

Author
Time

ok that doesnt explain much...since ive not seen it yet.......   FF said: Besides the official DVD looks fantastic compared to this full screen Laserdisc sourced edit.          so i was simply asking why wasnt a higher quality source used...such as blu ray...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

jswert123 said:

ok that doesnt explain much...since ive not seen it yet.......   FF said: Besides the official DVD looks fantastic compared to this full screen Laserdisc sourced edit.          so i was simply asking why wasnt a higher quality source used...such as blu ray...

That is why my reply started with the statement:

"Subject to correction, the "missing scenes" are only available in "full-screen" and not "wide-screen" formats; hence this fan edit was completed in "full-screen" format for consistency."

Feel free to ignore the remainder of my comments!

Perhaps you are not aware that the Blu-Ray version uses "wide-screen" format and not the "full-screen" format used by the deleted scenes on the DVDs.  Hence the format of the deleted scenes required the use of the full-screen versions of the motion pictures (of which the best format available of the full-screen versions are Laserdisc)...

So, as you noted quoting FF: "Besides the official DVD looks fantastic compared to this full screen Laserdisc sourced edit."

Author
Time

im not major expert but cant you convert from widescreen to full screen   vice versa and still have good quality thru out

Author
Time

jswert123 said:

im not major expert but cant you convert from widescreen to full screen   vice versa and still have good quality thru out

I've tried that, but was never happy with how the widescreen image looked when blown up to full frame. Very blurry and I saw lots of digital artifacts and digital blocks. To do pan and scan correctly,  it takes a lot of time to map out how you will pan each change of camera angle in each scene to keep the focus on the right area of the frame at any given moment. Very time consuming. Also, not every extra scenes injected into the laserdisk versions is contained on the DVD or Blu-ray sets. For some stuff, the Laserdisk was the only source.  There is one extra scene on my edit that was sourced from the DVD box that was not on the laserdisks. That was the last scene with Michal and his father in the garden when Michal returns from... Don't want to give it away.

Here is the website with all the information you need to know about these extra scenes, and also the box sets they came from. It's a great site.

http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.com/godfather.html

Author
Time

so other than quality....thats really the only upgrade you get with coppola restoration.....im guesing same extra/deleted scenes are in this edit.......... and again those sites with info on extra scenes and box sets dont help me since ive never seen the movie ever so i wouldnt know or makke sense to me what this scene meant and the difference from the originals....but thnks bunch....just finished downloading disc 1 and disc 4

Author
Time
 (Edited)

FanFiltration said:

jswert123 said:

where is artwork for this set

I don't think anyone ever offered to make any.

I'd like to take a stab at this if I no one minds :D.

“I love Darth Editous and I’m not ashamed to admit it.” ~ADigitalMan

Author
Time

Please help seed this...

“I love Darth Editous and I’m not ashamed to admit it.” ~ADigitalMan

Author
Time

Just a warning. An improved quality version of this should be ready around the holidays. Sourced using a much better player and capture methods.  

FF