logo Sign In

Info: My Review of the Four Disc Special Features Editdroid Set

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So i pop the first disk into my dvd player and i was suprised by the quality of the presentation of these discs.  The look professionally done.  Animated menus just wow.  And the documentaries mastered from the japan laserdiscs are near dvd quality.

Some rare tv spots for empire and jedi those were really cool.

The only trailer on the discs in shit quality is the one with the Vivaldi temp track music, which i actually already found better divx copies of on T’bones site and just assumed were done by the editdroid team.

So the best quality trailers were actually sourced from the 2004 trilogy bonus disc.  The colors are all wrong these are the faded prints they transfered and had van ling clean up digitally.  The digital scrub job and recoloring are very apparent.  Maybe Next time they should spend the money to actually photochemically restore the film.  But why am i harping on them not restoring trailers When they did a half ass restoration in 1997 and added bad cgi and no real restoration to this day of the original movies.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
skyjedi2005 said:

The only trailer on the discs in shit quality is the one with the Vivaldi temp track music, which i actually already found better divx copies of on T'bones site and just assumed were done by the editdroid team.

I thought that was Holtz's "mars"? I read that somewhere, anyhow.

I found the discs impressive as well.

Author
Time

The discs are great.  Take these 4 discs, throw in the "1975 Casting Auditions" DVD, and then get Jambe Davar's "Making Of" trilogy, and it's the ultimate 8-disc Star Wars special feature set.

Episode II: Shroud of the Dark Side

Emperor Jar-Jar
“Back when we made Star Wars, we just couldn’t make Palpatine as evil as we intended. Now, thanks to the miracles of technology, it is finally possible. Finally, I’ve created the movies that I originally imagined.” -George Lucas on the 2007 Extra Extra Special HD-DVD Edition

Author
Time

I still need to find those auditions...

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time
Where official sources fail, unofficial sources step up. And boy oh boy have we experienced an epic fail here, folks. Enter EditDroid to tackle the job, from their original excellent trilogy transfers to the later ultimate extras discs. EditDroid's work always blew my mind. Fans are doing it for themselves! --SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time

These discs sound great! I'd love to offer my own review, but I haven't been able to find the Special Features discs to pair with my Editdroid trilogy.

Can anyone help me out? I'd be most grateful. 

May the Force be with you.

Author
Time

I too have been trying to find them, with no luck.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
 (Edited)
C3PX said:

I too have been trying to find them, with no luck.

I'll be posting disc 1 to newsgroups in alt.binaries.starwars tonight with the other 3 discs to follow. The upload speed may well be slow though because i'm having to upload them from someone elses PC

EDIT: Actually the 4 disc special features set that i have looks like it probably isn't the Editdroid collection. Where can i find the full info on these discs before i post them?

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If anyone is willing to do PIF, I can probably send a set.  US only.

Author
Time

Perhaps your set is the rowman set Adywan?

Yes, if anybody is willing to start a PIF chain, I too would be willing to send out a set to someplace in the US.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time

I know that Sluggo has sent those out in the past, in fact I got it from him. 

Author
Time

I'd like to see a feature list for the ED bonus disc collection.  I have always been a fan of Rowman's bonus materials. (I also have a feature list for all 3 discs if needed.)

Author
Time

Here's off the top of my head (no disc order):

-Concept art
-Many, many trailers
-Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi
-From Star Wars to Jedi

I'm sure there's more, and I'll check later (and by that I mean after school).  Note that with Creatures and SWTJ that there are burned-in subtitles of some language; Japanese or Chinese, I can't tell.

Author
Time
bkev said:

Note that with Creatures and SWTJ that there are burned-in subtitles of some language; Japanese or Chinese, I can't tell.

They're Japanese. It doesn't bother me, since the pic quality is so good. Plus, I'd been trying to get those Japanese LDs off eBay for years, but kept getting out-bid! :-P

Author
Time

[Thread moved from General Star Wars discsussion.]

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

skyjedi2005, if you have access to a usenet-server, could you maybe up them to a.b.sw? My guess is you'd help out a lot of people. Thanks!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thank you ADYWAN i have been looking for this set and found them on torrents but there were no seeds when do you think you will be done with this upload i really cant wait to see this set. 

Author
Time
Trooperman said:

The discs are great.  Take these 4 discs, throw in the "1975 Casting Auditions" DVD, and then get Jambe Davar's "Making Of" trilogy, and it's the ultimate 8-disc Star Wars special feature set.

That's a good point. Now, do you know a place where I could find any of these extra discs? I can't even find the EditDroid Extras... :(

The great thing for me about this set is that I actually may own these legally, since I own a copy of the Ultimate Edition Lasers, however, I don't have a working player anymore. ;)

Author
Time

No problem. I love it when a plan comes together..........

Here is a link to the Rowman collection and his "Extras"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/russdawson/gtf/dvd/OT/row47.html

From what I remember, the  "The Ultimate Supplemental Collection" by RowMan was designed to look like the Editdroid releases. This was in the days before we knew of the existance of the Editdroid Four Disc Special Features Set.

The Editdroid Title Screens

The Rowman V2.0 and 2.1 Star Wars Bonus DVD - Ultimate Supplemental Collection

4 - 5 - 3 - 1 - 6 - 2

Discuss…

Author
Time

Is there a way for those of us who don't know their way around newsgroups to get a set of these?

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

I don't know of anywhere else to get them but I can assure you that Newsgroups are actually very easy and very quick indeed.

I wrote the following a few years ago so some of the links are out of date but the principles are still the same (Astraweb now offer 110Gb for only $25). I now always use NZB-O-MATIC PLUS to download binaries which is explained on Part 2 of my tutorial.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/russdawson/news.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/russdawson/news2.html

4 - 5 - 3 - 1 - 6 - 2

Discuss…

Author
Time

Could any one please upload these disc in the alt.binaries.starwars section because no one post there besides ADYWAN any more and i would really like to see them uploaded there?