Author
spoRv
Parent topic
Movies with wrong color grading *** UPDATED ***
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/660806/action/topic#660806
Date created
19-Sep-2013, 7:09 PM

taken from "The Matrix" thread, I took the liberty of quoting it here as it's more appropriate:

Flexicon9 said:

Hi Andrea... thanks for your efforts on The Matrix.  It looks like your doing a fine job and I would like to second Stamper's request for Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior) as well, but I wanted to bring one last thing to your attention because it is just coming to light with a new release.  The film I speak of is the 1978 original Halloween from director John Carpenter.  I don't know if you've read any feedback regarding the new 35th anniversary Blu-ray disc that is already shipping but is officially being release next week.  Anyway, years ago cinematographer Dean Cundey approved a THX transfer of the film for the Limited Edition DVD 2-disc set.  It had color-timing supervised by Adam Adams and featured beautiful amber and blue hues that put new life into the film as we know it.  It was somewhat revisionist, but based on what the original intentions might have been with better technology at the time.  That THX DVD transfer has been celebrated by fans since its release in 1999.  In 2007, the first Blu-ray disc for Halloween 1978 was released to mixed reviews.  The clarity and detail were praised, but the colors were way different than the '99 THX DVD.  The strong blue cast of the night-time shots were washed away to a starry white and the amber/orange warmth of Autumn were nowhere to be found.  Not as much anyway.  Amber became more green and the glow lost its luster.  The creepy blue night vanished and it just wasn't the moody horror film we knew from the THX DVD version in '99.  I know you have projects piled up, but please consider one day taking a look at the process of creating a high definition version of Halloween with the THX '99 DVD colors restored.  That would be a miracle.  From what I've read, the new 35th anniversary Blu-ray has washed away even more color than the 2007 Blu-ray release.  Based on what you did with Carpenter's "The Thing" I know you're the man to see about this.  Thanks for thinkin' about it though.

First of all thank you! It's good receive positive feedbacks on one of my projects!

Well, I think it will be better to *actually* watch the new BD version before deciding if it should be regraded or not... what if it has the right color grading? We are all happy, and I have one less project to make! (^^,) Actually, any John Carpenter movie that should be color regraded gain my attention, and "The Thing" is only the first, watch out!

During the last days of testing with "The Matrix", I managed to improve a bit my color matching script, and, following the hints from some members, about the fact that "The Thing [spoRv]" has dull colors in some instances, I re-checked and re-compared the LD and the spoRved version, and I agree with them. I mean, the version I made is [proud mode on] very good [proud mode off], especially in comparison with the BD, but still not as close to LD as I wanted... with the new script, and some adjustment, it seems that I could release a version 2.0 that will be [poser mode on] perfect [poser mode off].