logo Sign In

Info Wanted: Are there any fan edits of Man of Steel - with John Williams Music?

Author
Time

No thanks. The 1978-2006 SUPERMAN series is its own entity and Man of Steel is a fresh reboot. The older series is practically the Silver/Bronze Age Superman and Superman Returns is an alternate Superman III & IV: The Quest for Peace.

So yeah, John Williams Superman Theme will forever be associated with the Christopher Reeve/Helen Slater/Brandon Routh series.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The  Supergirl  score was composed by  Jerry Goldsmith.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

And Man Of Steel is almost as good as Superman IV :-D

Author
Time

To answer the OP, replacing soundtracks is perhaps the hardest edit to do, as one has to remove all of the original music (almost impossible) and rebuild the entire sound mix (almost impossible).

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don’t know if that’s true.  The music was used for Smallville and used to advertise the animated series.  It’s simply great music for Superman- I don’t think the Zimmer stuff is even in the same league.  In five years you won’t even remember it-but the John Williams score has lasted the test of time-nearly 35 years.

You can see in the clip I linked to that it adds something more to the scene.  Maybe it’s just from nostalgia but I thought it made the dark tone a little more fun- which was something that was sorley needed in this film.  It doesn't even feel forced into the clip.

Author
Time

I've been working on a linear cut of Man of Steel that incorporates elements of the JW score at about 3-4 keys points in the fill and part of the closing credits.  But for the most part the HZ score is maintained. Do know when or if it'll every be finished.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Actually, Louis Febre recomposed Williams's material for the Smallville scenes.  Mark Snow was credited as doing the music on the series until Season 5 ended, but Louis actually always did a good portion of it behind the scenes, even as far back as the Pilot, though he went uncredited for the work for years.