logo Sign In

MI:II Edit (* unfinished project *)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hey folks. I was thinking of doing an edit of Mission Impossible II. I’m not the biggest fan of the film, though i think a lot of it is good, i think its filled with bad lines, crappy music and subpar editing. I would try to remedy as much of this as possible and bring the film up to the level of 1 and 3.

I’d love some ideas on what might help. Here’s my preliminary ideas.

• take out the useless opening scene with the doctor explaining Bolerafont and Chimera. This gets explained to us twice later in the film. Unnecessary and poorly executed.
  • some of that silly car chase with Niah.
  • get rid of some of the ridiculous slow motion. This is Mission Impossible, not Walker Texas Ranger.
  • replace some of the crappy electric guitar score, replace it with some of Michael Giaccino’s fantastic MI:III score.
  • remove all the horrible “i’m doing this, and this is why!” explanation scenes. We can understand whats happening when we see it. I don’t need to be told what I’m seeing as well.

This film might not get a huge reworking, as I don’t know how much can be fixed/changed. Any other ideas anyone has I’d love to hear.

Also, I know there was a re-release of the film with a 2nd disc. Anyone know if this set included any deleted scenes?

I'm always looking to trade my edits, if you don't want to get them from a torrent. PM or e-mail!
Author
Time
As far as extras go in general, according to Amazon: the 1disc version has more than the 2disc version, both of them have the alternate title sequence, and no mention of deleted scenes.

HOWEVER, I did find this interesting little tidbit at imdb:
Trivia: The movie initially was rated "R", but was re rated "PG-13" after many action scenes were cut and the violence was trimmed down considerably.
AND
John Woo's final cut of the film clocked in at 3 1/2 hours. The studio balked at this length and told him that the final length could not exceed 120 min. This could explain why there are so many plot holes and continuity errors in the theatrical cut.
Author
Time
I think this could be cool with all your expertise thrown in Spence, now if only someone could find those deleted scenes and/or original cut.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: DarthBalls1138
John Woo's final cut of the film clocked in at 3 1/2 hours. The studio balked at this length and told him that the final length could not exceed 120 min. This could explain why there are so many plot holes and continuity errors in the theatrical cut.

That's a workprint I'd love to see.

Mahoromatic Revival Project – http://mahoromaticrevival.com/index2.html
Follow the Evangelion Instrumental Project! – http://sandcamel.blogspot.com
Cowboy Bebop Returns! – http://bebopreturns.blogspot.com

Author
Time
I wish I could find that somehow. Damn.
I'm always looking to trade my edits, if you don't want to get them from a torrent. PM or e-mail!
Author
Time
Send a few emails, hell get in touch with john woo himself lol, I'm sure you can find someone in the biz willing to leak it.