logo Sign In

Lucas v. Spielberg, Round 1 - Who Is The Better Actor?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Both George Lucas and Steven Spielberg appeared in a companion film to The Phantom Menace, titled The Beginning.  Specifically, they act together in a wonderful scene where they discuss the nature of the battle droids from The Phantom Menace.  They play it a little too straight for my taste (it's obvious we're watching a show within a show, if you will), but it does provide us with a rare opportunity to compare these two titans of the film industry side by side.

So...who's the better actor?  What say you?

EDIT: This has morphed into a series of threads - Lucas v. Spielberg.  We will be debating all facets of their lives, to determine once in for all who is the better man.  This is Round 1.

Author
Time

Spielberg RULED in "The Blues Brothers" and that Cyndie Lauper video of the Goonies.

Author
Time

It has been said that acting is simply "lying on stage."  Or, perhaps, "lying in front of a camera."  Possibly even further: "Lying in front of a camera, but everyone knows you are lying and your comments are intended to get an emotional reaction out of them."

I guess Lucas then?  He certainly has the most practice, that is for sure!

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

Frink's Link said:

Papanoida is one of the characters confirmed to appear in the as-yet unnamed Star Wars live-action television series.

Wow, they really know how to get me excited for this show.  :/

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

The trouble with lying on a stage is that you run the risk of getting stepped on by the other actors.

Every 27th customer will get a ball-peen hammer, free!

Author
Time

No contest. The man, the legend....

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

Who could forget the job he did in The Simpsons?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/urbanjedi420/senor-spielbergo-20080220055603144.jpg

Author
Time

That's Senor Spielbergo!

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Shhhhhhh!  Don't tell the union, but it's a cover.  That's really Spielberg.

Author
Time

Well, you could say that every TV interview they've done - to directly promote projects, as one-on-one interviews or as contributors in a retrospective of some film or genre - are them "acting" to one degree or another.  From that perspective, I would say that Spielberg is more consistent in his attitudes and comments over the years, but I will admit I'm just working from memory here, considering their careers are just slightly shorter than the amount of time I've been alive.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Ziz!  Hush!  I'm not looking for serious discussion here. ;-)

Author
Time

Well...you're gonna get it! (just finished a bio of Spielberg..)

Spielberg is unrivaled when it comes to public speaking, and marketing oneself and one's films. Lucas has always been introverted (I mean, he even built a giant compound to cut himself off from the rest of the world...). Lucas also stopped making films, and then finally came back to SW years later. Spielberg has kept himself in the spotlight with unchallenging relatively decent (maybe, but The Terminal was unbelievably awful.) works since.

Of their individual sensibilities, Spielberg is much closer to the general consensus than Lucas. This explains his mass appeal to this day. Films like Jaws, CE3K, and ET have huge audiences simply due to their spirit. The Indy trilogy has the escapism of Lucas, but with the drive of Spielberg. This marriage of Jaws and Star Wars is what made these three films so appealing-they literally are the best of the two combined.

Regardless, I think Lucas and Spielberg both had lobotomies. Lucas made THX-1138. The robot made the prequels. Spielberg has not had a good film since Empire of the Sun and Last Crusade. I know this is probably taking it a little far-I admire these two, but really wish they would start making challenging works again. The entire point of making films is to grow as an artist..isn't it? When your best films are your first ones (DUEL!), what does that say?

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

Duel is an pretty cool movie. Anyone who hasn't watched that little gem yet better go out and rent it. NOW!

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nooooooo!

What is wrong with you people?  This is not a serious discussion thread.  You're supposed to be debating who is the better ACTOR.

I still say Lucas.  He's a better blue Alien than any of the Na'vi.

Author
Time

I used to plot marrying little daughter of Lucas and then bumping off the old man to take control of the Star Wars Empire! (buwhahahahaha!)  But I just had a normal life instead.  I always kind of regretted it (especially as Lucas proved over and over again how unfit he was for the thrown- er throne) but then I saw what's her name next to daddy in Ep3.  Man, did I almost make a big mistake.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

xhonzi said:

Man, did I almost make a big mistake.

QFT

Author
Time

xhonzi said:

I used to plot marrying little daughter of Lucas and then bumping off the old man to take control of the Star Wars Empire! (buwhahahahaha!)  But I just had a normal life instead.  I always kind of regretted it (especially as Lucas proved over and over again how unfit he was for the thrown- er throne) but then I saw what's her name next to daddy in Ep3.  Man, did I almost make a big mistake.

You talking about this one:

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsL/56191-25524.gif

or this one:

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/06/01-07/amandalucas.jpg

Doesn't really matter.  You can't go wrong either way.