logo Sign In

Lord of the Rings Theatrical Blu Ray Trilogy ruined By DVNR. — Page 2

Author
Time

Gaffer Tape said:

Ziz said:

Are you sure, five?  To me, it's all relative.  Maybe the HD broadcasts used some other digital processing to counteract the DNR that was native to the film as it arrived to them.  Without knowing both sides of the story it's hard to say who's at fault.

It doesn't really work that way.  If they received a copy that was DNR'd, they (networks) can't just add detail back where detail was lost.  They would have to have access to a copy that was intact.

The example I've been dwelling on:

The stain on Bilbo's wall becomes a smudge on Bilbo's wall.

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

I prefer the smudge.  That's one place where I don't want any detail.

Author
Time

Gaffer Tape said:

Ziz said:

Are you sure, five?  To me, it's all relative.  Maybe the HD broadcasts used some other digital processing to counteract the DNR that was native to the film as it arrived to them.  Without knowing both sides of the story it's hard to say who's at fault.

It doesn't really work that way.  If they received a copy that was DNR'd, they (networks) can't just add detail back where detail was lost.  They would have to have access to a copy that was intact.

Why not?  Ever hear of a "Sharpen" filter? 

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Do networks even care how these things look?  Don't they pretty much just run whatever they're given?

Author
Time

Ziz said:

Gaffer Tape said:

Ziz said:

Why not?  Ever hear of a "Sharpen" filter? 

Sharpen is still just interpolating data, not undoing alterations.  For example, with C3PX's new, um, rabbi avatar.  Say I copied that image for my own use.  There's nothing I could do to truly remove that drawn on beard and yamuke.  It's an inherent part of the image I own.  If C3PX has his original avatar, then he's good.  And I could figure out some trickery in image programs to make the avatar look similar to its original configuration, but I couldn't truly get it back to normal.  Same thing in this scenario.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time

What's really laughable is how if you go to the menu on the official website there's a tab reading "restoration process" that says "coming soon" when you mouse over it.

http://lordoftherings.net/home.htm

Yeah, there definitely wasn't a restoration for this release, quite the opposite lol. Maybe they're talking about the updates of the extended editions Peter Jackson mentioned he's working on, because there isn't even anything to "restore" in the case of TTT and ROTK since they got complete DI's.

Author
Time

wow those screenshots look....substandard....

Author
Time

From thedigitalbits.com again (just a repost, I have no opinion on this):

Well... judging by the reader reaction e-mailed to me overnight, it seems to be much as we predicted: A lot of people out there today are wondering what all the fuss was about with regard to early reviewer complaints about The Lord of the Rings Blu-rays. To the extent that a few people are still disappointed over the discs, it's that they don't also include the Extended Editions of the films. But even those folks seem to be pleased with the video and audio quality, which is seen as a significant improvement over the previous DVDs regardless of display size. Readers are noting, as I did, that Fellowship looks a little softer than the other two, but that all three are as good or better than they expected. I've since learned that Fellowship was about 70% Digital Intermediate (D.I.) in its post-production, while Two Towers and Return of the King were 100% D.I. in post. That means that in preparing the Blu-ray masters, while Warner could go to the original D.I. for Towers and King, they had to run a new print for Fellowship, and that alone could account for the discrepancy in image detail and crispness. In any case, most of you seem quite happy with these Blu-rays, and that's what counts. As I've said before, I'm certainly happy to have them available - something to tide me over until the Extended Editions are released in HD in a couple years. Theatrical Rings on Blu-ray is certainly better than NO Rings on Blu-ray.

Author
Time

I'll be honest. Most of the screenshots I've seen from the Fellowship blu-ray look pretty good to my eyes. But there are a few instances where DNR has been needlessly applied. The most egregious example I've seen is this:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/1883031-post2.html

The hdtv broadcast clearly looks better in that comparison, and that's just unforgivable. If the uproar over this release doesn't get the studios to lay off the DNR once and for all, nothing will.

Author
Time

Does anyone here actually have the set and looked at it while watching it?I have it and will be watching it soon,I just have a hard time buying that it looks like crap and that the DVD's and HD broadcasts are better,but again I have the set,bought it on release day,but have NOT watched it yet.

I am just curious if this whole thread is about you guys speculating on something you don't even have or watched.

Author
Time

dark_jedi said:

I am just curious if this whole thread is about you guys speculating on something you don't even have or watched.

Of course!

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

dark_jedi said:

Of course!

I figured as much,all of you are starting to sound like skyjedi now,he is so full of hate towards GL and SW and you guys along with sky it appears against PJ and LOTR.

Author
Time

dark_jedi said:

TV's Frink said:

dark_jedi said:

Of course!

I figured as much,all of you are starting to sound like skyjedi now...

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

*sob*

Author
Time
 (Edited)

dark_jedi said:

TV's Frink said:

dark_jedi said:

Of course!

I figured as much,all of you are starting to sound like skyjedi now,he is so full of hate towards GL and SW and you guys along with sky it appears against PJ and LOTR.

I wouldn't go that far.  We think that New Line has done something wrong with the transfer for the Fellowship of the Ring Blu-ray.  This is just as justifiable as complaining about the transfers for the 2004 SE or GOUT.  We're not hating on the movies or PJ, we're hating on what looks like digital smearing, which happens all the time on Blu-rays.  It's a transfer problem, not that we hate the trilogy because we think "The Hobbit 2" is a bad idea.

I'm not going to buy it because I was going to wait for the Extended Editions anyway.  Hopefully due to the public outcry on this, they'll have time to make sure the EE BR doesn't have the same issues.

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

While we're on the subject of hating, what IS with you and never putting spaces between punctuation? It's always bothered me.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time
 (Edited)

bkev said:

While we're on the subject of hating, what IS with you and never putting spaces between punctuation? It's always bothered me.

LOL,whatajoke,youateacherorsomething?

I was being sarcastic on the hate(except where sky is concerned).

like I said I have not watched them yet, I am glued to 24 at the moment, and only on season 5.

Author
Time

So...anyone actually buy this?  Anything to report?

Author
Time

The books have a better mixing... On all points.

Author
Time

dark_jedi said:

Does anyone here actually have the set and looked at it while watching it?I have it and will be watching it soon,I just have a hard time buying that it looks like crap and that the DVD's and HD broadcasts are better,but again I have the set,bought it on release day,but have NOT watched it yet.

This is why DNR will continue to be applied liberally to all BD releases, because the general masses have this sort of opinion and find those who actually give a damn to be needlessly complaining. After all, who cares, they still look good enough. Yeah, maybe they do look good enough, but the fact remains that what is being done to "ruin" them is being done intentionally by studios. Why should we sit back and accept it for the sake of the happiness of those who don't really give a shit about how the studios tinker with them anyway?

But don't mind me, I am just spewing hatred. ;)

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape