logo Sign In

Idea & Info: Looking forward to... Avengers - The Extended Fan Cut Spoilers

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Saw it.  Loved it.  Can’t wait to edit it.

It seems Joss is planning to release 30 minutes of deleted scenes, but not an extended edition… but I’m sure they will be reintegrated as soon as the BD hits shelves by the fans.

However, here is a short list of things I’d like to see changed in a fan edit as well- (feel free to argue and add your own)

Iron Man voice- You only hear it once or twice in Iron Man but I thought the modified voice that came from the suit was much more fitting of the character than the lightly tinned RDJr voice.  I’m sure there are half-a-dozen people reading this right now that know exactly what effect and how to use it to make the Iron Man voice sound more like that… Make it so.  (You can make the argument that since Stark’s identity as Iron Man isn’t a secret, he doesn’t need a “secret” voice.  Surely he doesn’t need one for that reason, but it just sounds better.

Iron Man’s mask when it’s off- I blame Michael Keaton and Batman Returns.  Ever since then, every masked character seems to spend 50% of their costume-on time with their masks off.  The filmmakers are running out of ways to keep those masks on…  As far as this movie goes, I think the worst shot was the end one with Iron Man maskless.  Again, you can make the argument that Thor ripped the mask off and Tony took the rest of the helmet off… but it just looks… self indulgent… to see the final shot with all of the heroes maskless.  Except Hulk.  Thank goodness they didn’t have an angry Banner staring down the villain.

Captain America’s mask when it’s on- It just looks horrible.  The mask in the Cap movie looked good enough… I’m just not sure what happened here.  Maybe this a compromise between what the comic version looks like and what an actual real person can wear on their real head.  I don’t know.  Someone fix it.  And then keep it on Cap through the end of the movie, as per the last paragraph.

While we’re at it, why do Cap’s stripes usually not go all of the way around the back?  I thought it looked funny.  Like he was wearing a cheap Halloween costume that couldn’t concern itself with the back of the costume or hiding the zipper.  Cap’s WWII suit was so great… it’s a shame that his Avengers suit is what it is.  Somebody fix it.

Hawkeye’s quiver- Maybe the deleted scenes will fix this somewhat.  But I think his quiver had 2 settings: A) Full and B) One Arrow Left (One buhlwet weft?).  A slowly depleting quiver would be a nice touch.

War Machine- Some line, from someone somewhere about why War Machine was excluded from the final battle would be nice.  In the standard Mavel Universe, there are always lots of capable heroes who just seem to not care about an alien invasion that day.  But in the cinematic universe, War Machine seems to be about the only one sitting on the sidelines.

Thunderbolt Ross- Add him as face in the Shield Council and call it done.  Or something.

Black Widow- Anyway that someone can dub her with a light Ruskie accent?  Probably a disaster to try, but if someone could pull it off…

All for now.

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

I'm also hoping a deleted scene or two clears up the Stark-Banner arrangement.  I'm not sure why Stark trusted Banner/Hulk as much as he did.

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

xhonzi said:

I'm also hoping a deleted scene or two clears up the Stark-Banner arrangement.  I'm not sure why Stark trusted Banner/Hulk as much as he did.

Haven't seen the film yet but character wise, it's probably because they both have the genius/scientist thing going on - Stark is a technology whiz, Banner is a biology whiz.  Not that Thor and Cap are dumb, but it's something Banner and Stark have in common outside of the hero/team thing.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Ziz said:

xhonzi said:

Haven't seen the film yet but character wise, it's probably because they both have the genius/scientist thing going on - Stark is a technology whiz, Banner is a biology whiz.  Not that Thor and Cap are dumb, but it's something Banner and Stark have in common outside of the hero/team thing.

See the movie.  I think you'll know what I'm talking about.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

Ziz said:

xhonzi said:

Well, I did see it and if I had to guess, I'd say that was the reason. Stark told Banner he'd love it at his place with all the technology and stuff.

Anyway, this sounds like a great idea! A few small subtile changes like that and deleted scenes is all this awesome movie needs!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Forgive the necromancing of this thread, if you please.

Iron man's voice, the masks, the quiver, war machine, black widow's accent.

These are all useless tweaks. I will not object to anyone making a fan edit their own vision. But I wouldn't like these changes. They are needlessly complicated from a special effects stand point and they don't return on that investment in my eyes.

Cap's suit though. What is that, spandex? My god if anyone was good enough to give him a more protective outfit that would be a super boost to my immersion. You even see it in the end battle where he's all scratched and such, and you just notice how thin it is, how flimsy. This is probably even a bigger job than the suggestions I commented on in the beginning of this post, but this I think would make a difference.

It would also be very nice if the "council" wasn't just a group of nameless international mooks just there to give us more tension, and the nuke. Making them a nod to other marvel works would be a nice touch. Still, not an improvement to the quality of the film.

Personally I would simply add in the 30 minutes of footage. barring anything that is completely useless or actually bad, I haven't seen it all.

Then I'd write a letter to Joss Whedon to tell him to not snip great cap scenes like that and give him a damn weapon and some actual protection rather than a gymnast outfit.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

How in the heck is this not made yet? Every nerd in the world splooges his pants over this movie, but apparantly, faneditors are like: "Meh."?

Author
Time

xhonzi said:

Iron Man's mask when it's off- I blame Michael Keaton and Batman Returns.  Ever since then, every masked character seems to spend 50% of their costume-on time with their masks off.  The filmmakers are running out of ways to keep those masks on... 

It's the other way around-filmmakers aren't running out of ways to keep the mask on, they are looking for ways to get that mask off.  An actor has more range when you can see his face.  Add to that I'm sure if they are paying an actor millions to play a part they don't want to cover up his face.  The Toby Spider-man willfully took his mask off when he was trying to save that train in Spider-man 2-what the hell was that?!   But then we could see all the effort and strain he put in trying to rescue those people.

Watch the commentary for Avengers-Joss even mentions the bank fight with the alien and Capt. America was just an opportunity to get his mask off.  Hell, even in one of the trailers for Cap 2 he drops his mask on the ground before the big showdown.

It will be curious to see if Ben Affleck's Batman is able to keep his mask on.