Interesting. I was just thinking about downloading your first edit earlier.
I love Peter Jackson's King Kong and yet it's so fun to edit! I had dreams of adding in all of the deleted scenes, etc. to make something along the lines of a "KONG: THE COMPLETE EXPERIENCE" but since some of the deleted scenes seem to have incomplete effects or are slightly alternate characterizations, we'll see how that turns out when I pick up the set over the weekend.
Anyway, I haven't seen your original version, but I read some of the changes you made in that. Here are some cuts I made for my personalized edit of Kong. Feel free to use some of them if you think they sound promising.
* It opens with Carl showing his dailes and I also cut the producer's comments on tribal bosoms in that scene.
* The first time you see Ann is the first time Denham see her.
* I cut some of the Ann's introduction to Einglehorn like him warning her about the dangers (Why does she still get on the ship?)
* I removed a lot from the boat ride including Ann & Jack's first meeting (awkward!), Jack living in the animal cages, the Skull Island subplot (Jimmy walking in on Jack's slo-mo typing session and subsequent crew whisperings; the crew is experienced so they can tell something's up), removed the Jimmy & Hayes relationship, removed the turning around the ship subplot, shortened the ship crashing sequence, cut some of the group's journey as they first get to shore, walk around, etc)
* I cut away nearly all closeups of the natives (except for the kid and the old woman). They're now a more mysterious and less disgusting.
* I cut some other scenes down (such as the slo-mo Captain shooting the native & arduous Kong shaking Ann moments that you mentioned in the other thread).
* I cut some of the crew walking around the island & cut down on the Bronto stampede. I think the sequence is a little more plausable now since there's no gag with Bruce and the raptor, no Super Jimmy video game moment. They just run around for a while with quite a few of the shots of all the crewman dodging the brontos removed.
* I removed the cameraman's death scene & subsequent mourning by Denham. I may have also cut the mourning for the sound guy, but I don't quite recall
* Removed some of Kong seeing if Ann is asleep & some of their later scene together (where she does the vaudevill act). He doesn't push her over a billion times now.
* I cut some of the interaction between Hayes & Jimmy and Lumpy & Choy during the log sequence.
* Ann no longer encounters the little dino, run into the log and meet all the gross out bugs. She just runs, and sees the V-Rex eating the other dino.
* I cut down on the pit sequence. Heck, in my second version, it's completely removed and plays out like the original film. When they're rescued, I cut Denham's speech abour cockroaches.
* I cut down on Ann & Kong's weepy expressions when he's captured.
* Shortened the scene with Denham meeting everyone at the premiere. It's now more of a quick montage.
* I cut some of the sampling we get of Jack's play
* I deleted some of Denham's intro at the theater, some of Bruce's dance and shortened Kong's reaction to fake Ann
* I chopped some of the NY sequence. Kong doesn't throw around so many blondes and Jack's chase sequence is a few blocks shorter.
* I cut directly from Ann & Kong's reunion to a firing sound (the implication being that the army is shooting at them). They then run up the ESB. And then I shortened the aerial assault (removed shots of planes doing nothing, and repetitive action, etc.)
Your new version sounds like an interesting take on the material, so good luck and I hope to see it when you're done.