logo Sign In

Ideas and Suggestions for :Star Trek The Motion Picture (True Fan Edit) — Page 5

Author
Time

I'd love to have something where Stephen is looking roughly the same direction with similar lighting.  Preferably standing, though the shot should be in close-up (I'm planning on using body doubles).  Let me know, great to see such a quick response on something I threw out there not expecting anything!

If there's not anything, don't worry about it, I can use a shot from TMP.

Hmmm, I was kind of wanting to watch ATPM again anyway (I go into classic movie mode in the Winter months, just caught another Robert Wise flick, Executive Suite, last night), so let me give it a view in the next couple days and see if I spot anything.  If so, I will try to nab a cap for you.

CG

Author
Time

cwg46and2 said:

I'd love to have something where Stephen is looking roughly the same direction with similar lighting.  Preferably standing, though the shot should be in close-up (I'm planning on using body doubles).  Let me know, great to see such a quick response on something I threw out there not expecting anything!

If there's not anything, don't worry about it, I can use a shot from TMP.

Hmmm, I was kind of wanting to watch ATPM again anyway (I go into classic movie mode in the Winter months, just caught another Robert Wise flick, Executive Suite, last night), so let me give it a view in the next couple days and see if I spot anything.  If so, I will try to nab a cap for you.

CG

Thanks CG!  I'm still shocked that a new member randomly found the thread and has the random movie I was looking for!

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

Stephen Collins

Stephen Collins 

Pulled these off of his IMDB page, there are a few more there but these were the 2 best IMO.  If you wish, will give ATPM a whirl to still.  :-)

Author
Time

Can't see the pictures, but the pictures on his IMDB page are all of him more recently than 1979.  I even went to his official site, and really couldn't find anything from the right era.  So if you're willing, give ATPM a shot.  Thanks!

Author
Time

Yeah, caught that after post LOL  Sorry about that, at work and formatting not cooperating with me.  One of those pics he looks fairly young....I'm trying to picture 70's era in my head, and maybe not too far off from one of those.  Hopefully the film will yield better results.  I shall let you know, thanks!

CG

Author
Time

That's pretty sad about Andrew Koenig - I hope they find him alive and well. From what i've read he seemed to be acting a bit different the last he was heard from, maybe he just wants to be alone for a bit?

Found a site today with some interesting details for TMP and Phase II.there are also some concept images and set photos!

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/phase2_2.php

doubleofive, Great transporter concept, I think i would only suggest adding a LOT more light glow.

In these shots from ST3, the tansporter pads light up pretty brightly even after the transporting is done...

Would you guys be interested in meeting up for a group IM/chat? maybe during a weekend...not sure on the time differences between us.

Author
Time

If you need a manip of Windom or Collins, ask around at TrekBBS.  There are plenty of people there who do phenomenal work.  I'm sure someone would be willing to contribute.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Regarding Kirk's arrival, Not sure if you've looked at this already but i would strongly suggest trimming down this seqence...It seems a little jarring, the focus is on things that are irrelevant and the shuttles seem to appear out of nowhere...

I would suggest losing 1,3,4.

Just tinkering away after work...

Here's an opening concept.

And here's my idea re: the mattes. As you can see the results are less than stunning.

For some shots it's a lot easier to hide simply by adjusting the contrast, which I see they did on the Bluray realease...

Author
Time

I did a huge amount of editing last night on some key scenes. I've got to tell you that I am quite excited about what I have come up with so far. I will post more info soon. I am so tired...

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Johnny Ringo said:

Would you guys be interested in meeting up for a group IM/chat? maybe during a weekend...not sure on the time differences between us.

I was interested in knowing everyone's time zones anyway, since our schedules seem to be way off.  Indiana, EST here.  Johnny's in Australia, if FF is in the UK, we're pretty much on incompatible time schedules. ;-)

Also, looking through the DVD, I think the Blu-ray looks so much better.  The classic scene (for me) of the Enterprise orbiting to leave earth with the sun peeking around behind it is so dark on the DVD!  I'll show you what I mean later.

Author
Time

Great to hear FF. I've been looking back over your notes, and I was just thinking that maybe you could substitute the Reliant era craft for the epsilon 9 station - including it's fate - rather than trying to show both.

If that doesn't work in the grand scheme of the story, I understand, I just thought i'd mention it...

I guess this is the time to throw all ideas and concerns on the table, no matter how ludicrous.

And another thought occured...what about using a picture of an older Stephen Collins, implied to be the elder Decker?

I know the role was already portrayed by a different looking actor, but James bond looks different almost every time we see him. And if you could photoshop him into a higher ranking costume than the younger Decker currently holds, it might be enough...

and to go off on a bit of a tangent [which i haven't really thought out, so be gentle..] - What about starting with a Miranda class vessel [ala reliant] IN klingon space on some sort of covert mission. they get V'ger'd and the Enterprise is rushed in to rescue her [all hush hush like]. This would give the Klingons a fine reason to attack the Enterprise later...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Johnny Ringo said:

Regarding Kirk's arrival, Not sure if you've looked at this already but i would strongly suggest trimming down this seqence...It seems a little jarring, the focus is on things that are irrelevant and the shuttles seem to appear out of nowhere...

I would suggest losing 1,3,4.

Yes, its like there are FIVE establishing shots for "Kirk beams to a space station."  "Darn it, we have all these shots of the model, use them all!"

Just tinkering away after work...

THAT looks great!  I tried doing the sun shot just using Hue/Saturation, and it looked decent enough.

Here's an opening concept.

I like the original titles.  These are too close to the TNG movies, while the existing ones match the style for the TOS movies.  Only better because they're not just words I'll fast forward to on my way to the movie.

And here's my idea re: the mattes. As you can see the results are less than stunning.

For some shots it's a lot easier to hide simply by adjusting the contrast, which I see they did on the Bluray realease...

I really don't think they should be done by hand, but it certainly looks that they'll have to be.  Except for the deep space shots, which can be fixed by contrast as you sample here.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

doubleofive said:

Johnny Ringo said:

I was interested in knowing everyone's time zones anyway, since our schedules seem to be way off.  Indiana, EST here.  Johnny's in Australia, if FF is in the UK, we're pretty much on incompatible time schedules. ;-)

Also, looking through the DVD, I think the Blu-ray looks so much better.  The classic scene (for me) of the Enterprise orbiting to leave earth with the sun peeking around behind it is so dark on the DVD!  I'll show you what I mean later.

Well that is why I suggested a weekend so it's not so bad if someone had to be up late at night...Just putting it out there.

I'm up for it if anyone else is [I'm GMT+10]

Besides we all seem to be here and posting within a similar timeframe.

Oh and there still might be a way to 'hide' the matte lines without having to correct them - maybe by adding a sort of cloudy foreground...

Re: the title font, I just find the old style really awkward looking. It's just a concept. anything can be tweaked.

for that hull shot i just made a new layer over the top that was blue and set it to hue - rather than adjusting the source image. I made sure the side decals were still red and then just roto'd the dish like you would a lightsaber.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Johnny Ringo said:

And another thought occured...what about using a picture of an older Stephen Collins, implied to be the elder Decker?

I know the role was already portrayed by a different looking actor, but James bond looks different almost every time we see him. And if you could photoshop him into a higher ranking costume than the younger Decker currently holds, it might be enough...

It's not the older Decker I'm worried about, its a younger Will.  If we go too young with the father, I need an even younger Collins.  I'm just hoping ATPM will work out.  If not, we can try youngering Decker from TMP.  A picture on a shelf on a DVD copy is going to be so imperceptibly small that no one is really going to be able to tell where the pictures came from.  I just want to them to be accurate for my own sake.

Johnny Ringo said:

Well that is why I suggested a weekend so it's not so bad if someone had to be up late at night...Just putting it out there.

I'm up for it if anyone else is [I'm GMT+10]

Besides we all seem to be here and posting within a similar timeframe.

So, early for me is late for you is midday for UK.  I think I've got it. :-D

Maybe after we see the workprint, so we don't end up mention a bunch of stuff just to have FF say "did that already, you should see it!"

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If you look at pictures from early Stephen Collins roles like Brinks: The Great Robbery and The Rhinemann Exchange (a great opportunity if you want Larry Hagman to play an Admiral)

Larry Unit

he doesn't change that much physically in the few years between those projects and TMP so if you are planning a photo of him as a cadet you might as well recast him or adjust his current TMP look to be honest.

Perhaps the title needs a change for it to fit in with the series.

I'm reminded of the quote "Be the maker or let the maker be".

Let The Maker Be sounds like the sort of title an OS episode might have.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Alright, this is rough, but as small as it will be on screen, here it goes:

I wouldn't "View Image" for bigness, but the option is there.  I wasn't too particular on Will since in the end it will be this big, maybe:

I liked the idea of Will grinning at his dad as he stares off into space.  I just wish his head wasn't turned at that ridiculous angle when he's grinning at Ilia...  The option remains for better shots, but I like the elder Decker.  I put them in "WNMHGB" outfits since that takes place in 2265, right when I placed Will's graduation.  I'm imagining Will went to visit his dad on the Constellation.

Now to update the "Blueprints"

Author
Time

As far as Windom is concerned, would it be possible to take that pic of him and just remove the stubble and darken his hair?  Would that be easier than hunting down his entire catalog of films to get a single screen grab?

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Ziz said:

As far as Windom is concerned, would it be possible to take that pic of him and just remove the stubble and darken his hair?  Would that be easier than hunting down his entire catalog of films to get a single screen grab?

Its not Windom I'm worried about, its Collins.  As small as the end result will be, I think we could replace them with pictures of ourselves and no one would notice. ;-)

Author
Time

Here's my stab (going on the assumption that cadets wear gray and not shiny tinsel tops as seen when Kirk was a kid) :

Double Decker

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bingowings said:

Here's my stab (going on the assumption that cadets wear gray and not shiny tinsel tops as seen when Kirk was a kid) :

Double Decker

That's awesome!  I love the shave on Com. Decker.  I think if you make their heads the same size, we might have something!

Here's something I worked on today.  Just trying to enhance the awesome Earth Orbit image, with less matte lines and blue deflector:

"View Image" for HD size.  I did this by hand, I wouldn't recommend it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hey guys,

I'm looking at all this stuff you posted today and I am impressed.

My friend and I have to agree about the main titles being a bit too much like Next Gen. We are truly blown away by the amazing effort and respect the idea. Last night I was working on the main title sequence, and for now, I am just using the theatrical title cards inter-cut with the footage of the enterprise being prepared for launch.  You guys can just replace the title cards later. It may be best if we hold off on importing the blu-ray source until the final end phase of this project. We should all preview the edit, and then all suggest how to tweak it and with what footage/shots from Blu-ray footage.

At this time, I'm living on the west coast (San Francisco). The time of day that I work on the edit is usually between  5 pm - 3 am Pacific Standard Time on weekdays.  I never know what I will be up to on weekends.

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison