logo Sign In

Ideas and Suggestions for :Star Trek The Motion Picture (True Fan Edit) — Page 2

Author
Time

The better version of that would be to have the TMP space complex with the drydock next to it.  Remember, they flipped it upside down and called it "Regula 1" in TWOK, so that gives you a little more source material to work with.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I am going to see if I can use that footage from Wrath of Khan.

It's being ripped to my PC right now.Willing to test it out to see how it looks in that opening scene.

The outline so far......

1) Introduction of V'ger taking on one Klingon D-7. (a few brief Klingon ship shots and some computer screen graphics will be imported from Star trek VI) Epsilon 9 will witness this battle, and alert earth.

2) Main Titles (Enterprise in Drydock shots, sans Kirk and Sotty in pod)

3a) Possible inclusion of a new scene where V'ger meets up with a Reliant class ship and digitizes it. This I hope will Introduce more of a threat to Earth as well as explain why the re-fit Enterprise is now the only ship to be in Interception range.  This attack scene needs to come second, as V'ger would not enter Federation space and then go into Klingon space, then return to Federation space.  But I think the Klingons would cross the Neutral Zone to seek an attack on V'ger, as an act of Klingon vengeance. I will try to use shots of the USS Reliant from Star Trek II, and the disabled Reliant class ship from Trek IV. And, make it all from outside the ship perspective. I don't have any bridge shots I could use..   

3b) Kirk beams onto drydock office complex, travel pod to Enterprise (heavy edit), Kirk goes to Bridge (all reference to meeting on rec deck is now cut)

4)Kirk meets with Decker in ER, Officers beam aboard (Ilia, McCoy). Decker protests about using warp drive, as Spock walks on Bridge. Spock goes to ER to work with Scotty, Ship leaves drydock, Warp drive works, Enterprise heads to Epsilon 9 (This is a new story twist)... The transporter accident is cut, as is the wormhole scene.

5)Spock, McCoy and Kirk talk in lounge. We have a flashback to Spock on Vulcan sensing V'ger and his failing the Kolinahr test. Shots of the Cloud and spock seeing Kirk on the Air-tram in San Francisco may be intertwined with this footage. That is how it plays out in the book. The Vulcan priest scans Spock's mind and sees visions of V'ger, and of Kirk, it's these visions in Spock's mind that makes her drop the costume jewelry on the ground. Then, we fade back into the scene with Spock talking to Kirk and McCoy in the lounge...

6) RED ALERT! The Enterprise on rout to Epsilon-9 gets a distress call from the station, and the Epsilon-9 vs. V'ger footage that was part of the rec deck scene, will now play out on the Enterprise bridge view screen.  Epsilon-9 is digitized.

7) Enterprise arrives at V'ger. Seconds later 3 Klingon ships arrive. Klingons attack Enterprise and V'ger. Enterprise does not attack back at Klingons, but V'ger gets Klingons. Then, V'ger attacks enterprise.

More to come....

Question:

Should Ilia be on this ship already as a crew member (remove most of her introduction, but no all of it), and we cut all reference to her sex powers and oath of celibacy? This way, Ilia can meet up in the hallway with Decker just after the ER scene (in which he is demoted) and not after he gets chewed out about not following Kirk's phaser order, in the now deleted Whormhole scene. I'm not sure how this can work. Suggestions?? 

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

Ziz said:

SilverWook said:

I really like the idea of seeing the ship return home at the end of the 5 year mission.

Could Kirk's final log entry V.O. from TUC be reworked for this?

As much as I would like to see that as well, you would then expect to see everyone in TOS form getting off the ship and some kind of scene implying that they're going their separate ways for a bit while the ship gets refit.  That will be very difficult if not impossible to create from TOS footage.

Well, there are plenty of shots of the crew lining up to beam off the ship in "This side of Paradise", plus shots of Kirk packing his belongings. There's also shots of Kirk alone on the bridge. "The Mark of Gideon" also has Kirk wandering an empty ship, but mixing shots of first and second season Shatner would be pretty tricky!

A shot of Spock brooding in his quarters alone from "Amok Time" could emphasize his leaving Starfleet and his comrades. "The Ultimate Computer" has shots of the empty Enterprise corridors going dark. "The Omega Glory" also has some deserted starship shots sans dissolved Exter crewmen. ;)

There are enough shots in other episodes that in a montage could portray a tired, yet happy crew arriving home.

I also remembered something I thought of several years ago. It would have been cool to see a corridor or other area on the ship still in transition from TOS to the movie look. (Since they rushed her out of spacedock to intercept V'Ger.) But I guess such a shot would be impossible to achieve?

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SilverWook said:

Ziz said:

SilverWook said:

I really like the idea of seeing the ship return home at the end of the 5 year mission.

Could Kirk's final log entry V.O. from TUC be reworked for this?

As much as I would like to see that as well, you would then expect to see everyone in TOS form getting off the ship and some kind of scene implying that they're going their separate ways for a bit while the ship gets refit.  That will be very difficult if not impossible to create from TOS footage.

Well, there are plenty of shots of the crew lining up to beam off the ship in "This side of Paradise", plus shots of Kirk packing his belongings. There's also shots of Kirk alone on the bridge. "The Mark of Gideon" also has Kirk wandering an empty ship, but mixing shots of first and second season Shatner would be pretty tricky!

A shot of Spock brooding in his quarters alone from "Amok Time" could emphasize his leaving Starfleet and his comrades. "The Ultimate Computer" has shots of the empty Enterprise corridors going dark. "The Omega Glory" also has some deserted starship shots sans dissolved Exter crewmen. ;)

There are enough shots in other episodes that in a montage could portray a tired, yet happy crew arriving home.

MOCKUP TIME!

They could be faded a bit, could be in slow motion, maybe pan across the 4:3 image.  This could be during the credits, each shot in between a credit or two, then after the Kirk on the Bridge start using the Refit in drydock.

FF, I think the credits have to come first so you could do something like this or just the beauty shots of the Refit.  If not, it looks like the refit occurs after V'ger blasts the Klingon ship.  I'm torn, because I like the idea of a cold open / teaser like the original series!

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

More mockups!  This time I've darkened Earth and used the orbital office complex and drydock from TMP (ignore the Refit already in place there).  I like the idea of the E blocking the stations and revealing them during the shot.

Author
Time

Sorry for all the posts, but they are on different subjects at least:

FanFiltration said:

Question:

Should Ilia be on this ship already as a crew member (remove most of her introduction, but no all of it), and we cut all reference to her sex powers and oath of celibacy? This way, Ilia can meet up in the hallway with Decker just after the ER scene (in which he is demoted) and not after he gets chewed out about not following Kirk's phaser order, in the now deleted Whormhole scene. I'm not sure how this can work. Suggestions??

I think if someone's traits have no relevance to the story (Padme's assassin being a shapeshifter, etc.), then it should be cut.  She never uses her sex powers, so why not just have Decker and her relationship be awkward because its an old relationship, not because she has mystical powers.

Author
Time

The TOS footage could even be windowboxed, (ala the tv scenes in Galaxy Quest when it was shown in theaters) then you open up to the full theatrical aspect ratio.

Another scene from "This Side of Paradise", where a smiling Uhura informs Kirk she's disabled communications, and then leaves the bridge might also work in that montage. :)

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SilverWook said:

The TOS footage could even be windowboxed, (ala the tv scenes in Galaxy Quest when it was shown in theaters) then you open up to the full theatrical aspect ratio.

I think windowboxing would make it even more obvious that we were reusing unrelated scenes to tell a story.  Cropping it to 2.35:1 might make you wonder where the footage was found a bit longer.

Another scene from "This Side of Paradise", where a smiling Uhura informs Kirk she's disabled communications, and then leaves the bridge might also work in that montage. :)

You wouldn't wonder though.  You're really good at this.  I'll add it to the mockup.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

MORE MOCKUPS!  (as you can tell, I'm excited about mockups)

3-way Battle in the Cloud!

Which inspired this poster/DVD cover:

The mockup is available in full-res by "View Image", but I'm saving the full resolution poster for later.

EDIT: I've tweaked the poster further, but I'm still leaving this first draft up.

Author
Time

Man, I woke up this morning to find all these great posts! Now I feel guilty that I had turned in a bit early last night, and did not get much work done. *grin*

What you have shown above relay helps get the creative juices flowing.

Lots of good ideas. You guys have a better memory for scenes from the T.V. shows then I do. 

Last night, I started to try something new out. I wanted to make a new San Francisco scene at the start of the film.  The scene starts with the Air-tram flying over the Golden Gate, but cuts just before it shows the inside of the tram station. Next is the establishing shot of Star Fleet command from Trek IV.

We hear Kirk's voice (heavy edit from various audio sources) asking the computer to start a presentation (or long range communications). I then have audio of a Star Fleet base being attacked. The audio of the base commander is edited from the outpost distress call in "Balance of Terror".  The voice tells about an intruder, no answers to hails, High plasma attacks, lots of static. The voice is going to be manipulated with audio software to make it sound different from the TV episode, and the things he says are in a much different order.  I was able to steal shots of Kirk reacting to this presentation (or communication) from the transporter accident scene that will not be used. I'm glad Kirk is still in his admiral's uniform. Next we see Kirk beaming up to the orbital dockyard office complex...

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time
 (Edited)

doubleofive said:

MOCKUP TIME!

They could be faded a bit, could be in slow motion, maybe pan across the 4:3 image.  This could be during the credits, each shot in between a credit or two, then after the Kirk on the Bridge start using the Refit in drydock.

FF, I think the credits have to come first so you could do something like this or just the beauty shots of the Refit.  If not, it looks like the refit occurs after V'ger blasts the Klingon ship.  I'm torn, because I like the idea of a cold open / teaser like the original series!

OMG!

At the end of the episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday" there is GREAT audio for this scene!

The Enterprise just had made a time warp back to the 23rd Century, and Kirk gets a radio call from Starfleet Command. Kirk smiles and he says the words  "Starfleet, the enterprise is home".

That audio will be excellent when put together with all the above footage you and SilverWook suggest.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ziz said:

The better version of that would be to have the TMP space complex with the drydock next to it.  Remember, they flipped it upside down and called it "Regula 1" in TWOK, so that gives you a little more source material to work with.

There is a small problem in that we can see it's still being built as Kirk boards the travel pod after the refit (not unless Starfleet are real slowcoaches when it comes to building space stations, they certainly are quicker than the Empire after ROTS).

However building on doubleofive's work maybe make the OS Enterprise look something like partly on it's way to being the refit style with the lighting coming more from the ship:

Darker more contrast with trails

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

Ziz said:

There is a small problem in that we can see it's still being built as Kirk boards the travel pod after the refit (not unless Starfleet are real slowcoaches when it comes to building space stations, they certainly are quicker than the Empire after ROTS).

The ship could be erased from the dock for the wide shots.  You've seen what Ady can do.  Failing that, I'm sure there are CG artists out there who would be willing to donate their efforts to the cause to create new shots.

My outlook on life - we’re all on the Hindenburg anyway…no point fighting over the window seat.

Author
Time

Someone already made a partial refit Enterprise they were going to use in the Phase II fan episodes:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/images/sneek/PIIent0000_st-MED.jpg

The problem/blessing about this: it's made by Daren Dochterman, the visual effects supervisor for The Director's Edition! I'm not sure how willing he would be to help a fan film of the film he helped basically fan film a few years ago, but it might be worth a shot to ask him to render us some new quick shots. I follow his blog (http://blog.darendoc.com/), but when I posted a link to the Special Longer Version, he removed it for fear of looking like he was supporting piracy. Still, he might want to help...

FF, I think you should ask him! Maybe he'd render some Klingon battle shots!

Author
Time

doubleofive said:

Someone already made a partial refit Enterprise they were going to use in the Phase II fan episodes:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/images/sneek/PIIent0000_st-MED.jpg

The problem/blessing about this: it's made by Daren Dochterman, the visual effects supervisor for The Director's Edition! I'm not sure how willing he would be to help a fan film of the film he helped basically fan film a few years ago, but it might be worth a shot to ask him to render us some new quick shots. I follow his blog (http://blog.darendoc.com/), but when I posted a link to the Special Longer Version, he removed it for fear of looking like he was supporting piracy. Still, he might want to help...

FF, I think you should ask him! Maybe he'd render some Klingon battle shots!

I'm willing to give it a shot, but only after I get some of the major problem scenes (that I have the skills to complete myself) finished. That way I have a good amount of finished product to show him (and other talent) as an example of what this edit is trying to (and can) accomplish.  I have no idea of how long a project like this will take to get finished, and would not want to ask anyone to commit that kind of serious work time until I have provided a huge amount of finished segments myself. But it's an exciting idea.

Author
Time

Maybe a slightly different colour scheme for the bridge too to suggest that five years have passed :

Five Years Up

Author
Time

Actually, that's working backwards.  That color scheme is more like Pike's bridge from "The Cage"/"The Menagerie".  A different color scheme would also suggest that the E had already undergone some kind of refit or major upgrade along the way, which would lessen the impact of seeing the actual refit.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I'm glad Bingo and Ziz came along, I'm way too excited about this edit to be one of only a few contributors.  I'm going to try to finish my DVD cover/poster, then I will reveal it to the world!

I like the idea of doing something about the bridge, I'm sure there's something on that bridge that makes it "obvious" its the second season bridge (as opposed to the third) anyway.  I think maybe turning off the screens at the very least would help.  No lights on but the overhead.  Kirk's last look at his ship before they remake her.  I wish we had a shot of him leaving the bridge empty, and the lights could turn off row by row after the door shuts behind him...

The relationship between Kirk and the Enterprise is one of my favorite aspects of the show.  I wish we could cut the inspection pod scene out, but leave the shot of Kirk with the E reflected in the window.  That shot is one of the defining shots of Kirk to me, showing that he loves his ship even though everything about her is changed.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ziz said:

Actually, that's working backwards.  That color scheme is more like Pike's bridge from "The Cage"/"The Menagerie".  A different color scheme would also suggest that the E had already undergone some kind of refit or major upgrade along the way, which would lessen the impact of seeing the actual refit.

I know what you mean Ziz but TMP bridge is pretty much going that way anyway only beige rather than gray (like the bright colours were a temporary fad) and with the Enterprise A much of the colours of the OS (like the red rails and trim in TUDC and the bright coloured GNDN tubes in TFF ) came back only to return to planet beige with TNG.

It still looks enough like the OS bridge to be identifiable and the TMP refit is more radical than a change in colour scheme so not all the impact would be lost (besides The Cage bridge looks much better and arguably more advanced than the OS one which makes watching The Menagerie a bit bizarre).

It's just as odd to watch TWOK after TMP because despite being the same set the TMP colour scheme and better lighting and direction make the set look more advanced.

The 'remind them this is colour television' palette seemed to go in and out of fashion in the Star Trek universe rather than be an indicator of a linear progression.

I love the inspection scene because it's Kirk's love scene.

It's kind of erotic too (he gently caresses her curves and then...ahem...enters her).

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

I love the inspection scene because it's Kirk's love scene.

It's kind of erotic too (he gently caresses her curves and then...ahem...enters her).

All of a sudden, I'm not so sure I like that scene anymore. ;-)

Author
Time

Bingo, there's all different ways to debate and justify the color changes back and forth, both "real world" and "in universe", so let me just throw one more out there and leave it to FF to make the final decision.

One of the main reasons TOS looks as colorful as it does was as much due to lighting design as it was to set design.  As you work your way through the series there are always these splashes of color on walls, doors and floors - partly for dramatic reasons but also partly to make it appear that the same room or hallway section of the filming set is supposed to be a different room in the ship.

Since there's no "other" bridge, lighting there was always for effect.  When you take that out of the equation, the bridge is limited to the black/grey/beige tones just like in the films.  The only real color on the bridge as far as painting was the red accents - railings, helm/nav console, console edges and the turbolift doors.  The rest of the "color" came from set lighting and all those little screens.

Even without set and filming lights, there's still functional reasons for the red accents.  When you look at anything, the first thing your mind notices is color - that's what helps your brain then define shape, distance, brightness and so on.  In a functional setting like the bridge, the red railings remind people that the railings are there.  Having them black or gray in a room where everything else is black or gray, they would mentally disappear from your field of view and could lead to accidents.

Likewise, the blue sections surrounding the overhead screens guide your eye and tell your brain where to focus your attention.  Even the consoles had different sheens of black - semi-gloss for the overall surface, high gloss for the inserts the buttons were on.  When you sit down at your station, that subtle difference in sheen and texture helps your brain track where your hands should be.

If that shot above could just be "powered down", as 005 said, that might be the better way to go.

Author
Time

Alright, I'm not sure I'll ever be 100% happy with it, but here is my cover for the FFE:

Since who knows how long/expansive, this edit will get, I'm sure it won't be the final version.  It needs text anyway.

Author
Time

Dose this mean your star trek mp longer edit is done or just another project, looks really cool so far.

Author
Time

The bridge got a second turbolift in TAS, (on the left of the viewscreen) but I've no idea how you'd add that in. ;)

Could the viewscreens on the bridge stations have some moving graphics added? (As was done with the Defiant on Enterprise.) Maybe a graphic timer counting down to shutdown of life support and other systems.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?