logo Sign In

How to make certain movie series' perfect...

Author
Time

THE GODFATHER

*The Godfather Part III NEVER HAPPENED.

STAR WARS

*The Star Wars Prequels NEVER HAPPENED.

*The Star Wars Special Editions NEVER HAPPENED.

INDIANA JONES

*Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom NEVER HAPPENED.

*Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull NEVER HAPPENED.

ALIEN

*Alien 3 NEVER HAPPENED.

*Alien: Resurrection NEVER HAPPENED.

LETHAL WEAPON

*Lethal Weapon 3 NEVER HAPPENED.

*Lethal Weapon 4 NEVER HAPPENED.

SUPERMAN

*Superman 3 NEVER HAPPENED.

*Superman 4 NEVER HAPPENED.

------

The following films never had any sequels:

*BACK TO THE FUTURE
*JURASSIC PARK
*JAWS
*ROCKY
*BEVERLY HILLS COP

There. Apply that to the movie world and all of these film series are much better off, in my opinion.

Author
Time
ATown8814 said:

THE GODFATHER

STAR WARS

*The Star Wars Prequels NEVER HAPPENED.

*The Star Wars Special Editions NEVER HAPPENED.

INDIANA JONES

*Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom NEVER HAPPENED.

*Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull NEVER HAPPENED.

ALIEN

*Alien 3 NEVER HAPPENED.

*Alien: Resurrection NEVER HAPPENED.

LETHAL WEAPON

*Lethal Weapon 3 NEVER HAPPENED.

*Lethal Weapon 4 NEVER HAPPENED.

SUPERMAN

*Superman 3 NEVER HAPPENED.

*Superman 4 NEVER HAPPENED.

------

The following films never had any sequels:

*BACK TO THE FUTURE
*JURASSIC PARK
*JAWS
*ROCKY
*BEVERLY HILLS COP

There. Apply that to the movie world and all of these film series are much better off, in my opinion.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy has yet to be made into a movie.

Author
Time

Yeah, that movie wasn't too good.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority in liking Temple of Doom?  Otherwise, I completely agree.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time
ATown8814 said:

There they go again Gaffer, just for you.

I am surprised the place isn't filled with people singing the praises of the Matrix and its sequels, since I have admitted to very strongly disliking them all.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
bkev said:

I'm guessing I'm in the minority in liking Temple of Doom?  Otherwise, I completely agree.

I too enjoyed Temple of Doom. And even the Back to the Future sequels.

Author
Time

The way I look at it:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - standalone film

Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - its own separate film trilogy

and:

Back to the Future - standalone film

Back to the Future Parts II & III - its own separate anthology.  Though this would be easier if the ending of I didn't spill over into II.

And I still don't get the hate for Alien 3 - I quite enjoyed it, especially the extended version.  But Resurrection is a steaming pile of shit.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade are two stand-alone films, but with the same main character.

Just like The Godfather and The Godfather Part II are two stand-alone films with two entirely different purposes.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom has its moments at the beginning and the ending, but the midsection bogs the whole thing down.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi make up the Star Wars films. Nothing else after 1983.

Author
Time
 (Edited)
ATown8814 said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade are two stand-alone films, but with the same main character.

Just like The Godfather and The Godfather Part II are two stand-alone films with two entirely different purposes.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom has its moments at the beginning and the ending, but the midsection bogs the whole thing down.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi make up the Star Wars films. Nothing else after 1983.

Guess you have not seen the holiday special tv movie that came out in 1978.  That should also be of selective repressed/erased memory.  There was awful star wars long before the prequels.

One of the worst characters in temple of doom has the least screen time. Dan Akroyd's performance/cameo with a bad accent. Before Indy boards Lao Che airlines,lol.

I guess Spielberg did'nt think it was enough to have him in one bad film of his 1941.

If you include Crystal Skull and Howard the Duck, 1941, War of the Worlds, the star wars prequels.  Look at all the turkeys lucas and spielberg has made between them.

And now you have Spielberg producing bad movies like transformers 1 and 2.

Once upon a time he executive produced a good film called back to the future,lol.  I guess those days are behind us now.

Not to mention that was the only good film Bob Z ever made and would be the last good film he would make.

Castaway was decent but annoying in quite a few places.  That snow train movie was awful, and beowulf was an absolute abomination to its source material, and on top of that the film sucked.  Back to the Future II and III were mediocre if not exactly awful.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

What about Forrest Gump?

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
Bingowings said:

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy has yet to be made into a movie.

I may not be getting the joke but look here.

I love everybody. Lets all smoke some reefer and chill. Hug and kisses for everybody.

Author
Time

The joke was that the movie wasn't good, and since the name of the thread is "how to make certain movie series perfect," saying it never happened makes the series perfect.

Author
Time
DarkGryphon2048 said:
bkev said:

I too enjoyed Temple of Doom. And even the Back to the Future sequels.

I am proud to say the Temple Of Doom was my favorite.  I just liked Mola Ram. Kaliii Maaa Kali maaaa. The Indians liked it for Armish Puri.

"The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won’t last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you’ll be able to project it on a 20’ by 40’ screen with perfect quality. I think it’s the director’s prerogative, not the studio’s to go back and reinvent a movie." - George Lucas

<span> </span>

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Star Wars/The Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi

Back to the Future

Terminator/ T2

Jurassic Park

Godfather I/Godfather II

Superman: The Movie/Superman II

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Matrix

Alien/Aliens

Fellowship of the Ring/The Two Towers/Return of the King

Jaws

Dirty Harry

Batman Begins/The Dark Knight

Rocky

Author
Time
CO said:

Wait ... what'd you take out?

Author
Time
ChainsawAsh said:
CO said:

My list was all the movies that should be in each series. 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

"Poltergeist" was another very fun Spielberg produced film. In this case, he was smart to remove himself from any part of the sequels that should  never have been made. 

"Mad Max" and "The Road Warrior"  are great, we did not need a 3rd. 

"The Pink Panther" films should have died with Mr. Sellers. All films in that series made after his death are horrid.

The original "Shaft" is better off as a stand alone film. Same thing goes for:

"Planet of the Apes" (1967)

"Cocoon" (we did not need a Return)

"Smokey and the Bandit"

"Cannonball Run"

"Meatballs"

"Caddyshack"

"Vacation"

"Halloween"

"Billy Jack"

"The Odd Couple"

"The Poseidon Adventure" (Yes there was a part II)

The French Connection

Godzilla (The original Japanese version)

"The Bad News Bears" The original is a golden classic, the rest are cat poop.

"Conan the Barbarian"

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time
CO said:
ChainsawAsh said:
CO said:

My list was all the movies that should be in each series. 

Yeah, but with that list, what else is there?  At least until The Hobbit comes out in a few years.

Author
Time

there is the shitty cartoons.

"The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won’t last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you’ll be able to project it on a 20’ by 40’ screen with perfect quality. I think it’s the director’s prerogative, not the studio’s to go back and reinvent a movie." - George Lucas

<span> </span>

Author
Time
CO said:

Terminator/ T2

While the series is much improved if T3 and T4 never happened, it's not perfect unless T2 also never happened.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
Moth3r said:
CO said:

Terminator/ T2

While the series is much improved if T3 and T4 never happened, it's not perfect unless T2 also never happened.

Hallelujah!

While all the sequels can be improved by tinkering the series is greatly improved by removing all of them.

T2 is possibly the most over-rated film in history.

Author
Time
Bingowings said:
Moth3r said:
CO said:

Terminator/ T2

Hallelujah!

While all the sequels can be improved by tinkering the series is greatly improved by removing all of them.

I agree as I never understood how people could say T2 was better then T1, but it is an opinion.

I would have been fine if Cameron never did a sequel to The Terminator, but I did think it was still a very good sequel.

Author
Time
Bingowings said:

Nope, the most over-rated film in history would most definitely be The Matrix. Hands down. IMHO, of course.

T2 was really just a rehash of the first film. Good guy and bad guy from the future duking it out to save/destroy a certain target. I really enjoy both the first and the second film. I think the second film is ranked as high as it is by so many people is because it managed to be more fun in the way it did it. The first film was very dark, the second film was much more light hearted (though it was still quite grim), I think in this way it simply appealed to a wider audience. I agree the first film works perfectly by itself, but I enjoy the second one too much to write it off.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
C3PX said:
Bingowings said:

Nope, the most over-rated film in history would most definitely be The Matrix. Hands down. IMHO, of course.

I'd go with Fight Club, personally.

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time
Nanner Split said:
C3PX said:
Bingowings said:

"Titanic" all the way.

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time
Nanner Split said:
C3PX said:
Bingowings said:

"Titanic" all the way.