logo Sign In

How does ignore work?

Author
Time

So this is a question, not a suggestion or idea.  Sorry but didn't see a better place to put it.

Anyway, I'm wondering how the ignore feature works.  I've just discovered another user has chosen to ignore me, and besides doing a little crying, I'm trying to figure out exactly what it means.  Do my posts not show up to the person who has ignored me?  When other people quote me, does that show up?  Do my posts before the "ignore incident" still show up?

How, exactly, does it work?

Sure, I suppose I could ignore someone and see what happens, but I don't like to be rude.

Thanks.

Author
Time

What happens depends on the options the user selected when they chose to ignore you. At its most basic level, ignoring a user hides their posts from view--all their posts, past and future. The post is replaced with a link that lets you view the post if you want to. However, if someone else quotes them, that quote is visible to you. There's no easy way of blocking that.

You also have the option of preventing them from sending you private messages, preventing them from viewing your profile, and preventing them from sending you e-mail via the user contact form (which isn't implemented yet).

Forum Administrator

MTFBWY…A

Author
Time

Jay, here's a suggestion for enhancement: there might be an occasion when you want to stop someone from sending you PMs, but still want to read their posts on the forum. This is not possible under the current setup - you have to ignore their posts if you want to select any other options.

TV's Frink said:

Sure, I suppose I could ignore someone and see what happens, but I don't like to be rude.

You could always ignore Ric Olie. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Believe me I thought about it, but I'm afraid to get on that guy's bad side.  The things he could observe about me...

Follow up question - if a user has chosen to ignore PM's from me, will I be notified?  Will I even be able to write the PM?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Moth3r said:

Jay, here's a suggestion for enhancement: there might be an occasion when you want to stop someone from sending you PMs, but still want to read their posts on the forum. This is not possible under the current setup - you have to ignore their posts if you want to select any other options.

I'll this to the list.

TV's Frink said:

Follow up question - if a user has chosen to ignore PM's from me, will I be notified?  Will I even be able to write the PM?

No notification. When you attempt to send the PM, you'll receive a message saying that the user has blocked you.

Forum Administrator

MTFBWY…A