logo Sign In

Harmy's THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Despecialized Edition HD - V2.0 - MKV & AVCHD (Released) — Page 81

Author
Time

RE: the orange uniforms/Leia's hair, the typical rule of thumb in color correction is to aim for the best possible skin tones. After all, we can subconsciously be pretty forgiving of other variances as long as the humans look like human beings.

The problem with the DVD is that there is too much blue in the highlights, and Harmy's done a good job of removing this and making the whites look more neutral. I agree that the uniforms look a bit on the "yellow" side, but if you try to hit a deep, saturated orange, everyone is going to look sunburned.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hey, Harmy! 

I really appreciate your work and I'm looking forward to the release of v2.0 or 2.1 or whatever you're calling it. 

I was watching the workprint alongside the Blu-ray and noticed a strange white spot on the starfield in the first Executor shot from 28811-28823 (00:20:00:10-00:20:00:22) just below the far right Star Destroyer. Someone may have already pointed it out or maybe you left it in intentionally, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Author
Time

Gotcha! Thanks for the instant feedback. Looking at your versions next to the Blu-ray, the despecialized seem surprisingly detailed, but also more grainy. Could you briefly explain, to the layman, what causes the greater amount of noise (if that's the proper term)? I've been wondering since watching SW v2.5 the first dozen times.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Layers of film grain have been intentionally added to the special effects to simulate how they would have appeared originally.  This is due to the multiple levels of optical compositing and duplication required to print the effects onto film: the special effects shots always appeared softer and more grainy than the rest because of this.  Note that this is true of any movie made before the use of CGI came to dominate the visual effects industry, not just the SW films.

The Special Editions eliminated much of this by recombining the separate effects layers digitally, but the Despecialized Editions seek to recreate the appearace of the movies as they were first released, and this includes the emulation of certain film characteristics inherent to the physical processes used to make them.

It may take a bit of getting used to if you aren't accustomed to seeing it, but I find it refreshing to watch the movies this way since it 'feels' more authentic: it's a subtle way of undoing the damage the SE's have caused, and of further differentiating these versions from them.

Funnily enough, I actually feel like some parts (namely, the digital recomposites that have been left in) could stand to have some additional grain added to them.  ;)

Author
Time

Joel said:

What about Leia's hair? It's light brown/veering into red during this whole scene, but not during the rest of the film. I understand that people have different preferences, but I have a hard time believing I'm the only one that sees this. 

I sort of see what you mean about Leia's hair being a much lighter brown. But isn't that more to do with lighting than colour? This is a very bright shot compared to her scenes in the rest of the movie.

George creates Star Wars.
Star Wars creates fans.
George destroys Star Wars.
Fans destroy George.
Fans create Star Wars.

Author
Time

Harmy, will there be a workprint release of the version with updated colors and non-rounded edges?  I think it would be good to have everyone giving you feedback on the most up to date version possible (if such a thing could exist before this weekend, that would work out great for something coming up on my end).

Oh, and I neglected to chime in earlier, but I think the first official release you do should probably be named 2.0, since 2.1 would probably confuse people without the existence of a 2.0 (you could explain this till you're blue in the face, but who wants to be blue in the face?).  Any tweaks made after that could go into a 2.1 if needed (and you have the option of releasing updates all the way through 2.4, God forbid), and then lock in all your changes and make a final 2.5 release (same pattern with Jedi would make for well rounded consistency across the whole project).  Even though your efforts are more in line with what 2.1 was, I think jumping over 2.0 will just cause you more headache than it is worth in the long run.

Author
Time

No, there will not be another WP release but there will be a v2.0 release very very soon, which will kind of serve as a WP for v2.1.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah, I thought about it and while this way, it doesn't exactly correlate to the way the numbering ended up on SW DeEd in terms of describing the properties of the versions, this way it is much more in line with what the original intention was for the SW numbering:

With SW, the v2.0 was a huge update over v1.0, with better picture quality, more faithful colors and better despecialization. Then the original intention was for v2.1 to be just a small update of v2.0, with some minor fixes and for v2.5 to be the, as the jump in numbering suggests, a larger update with major improvements. But in the course of making v2.1, it evolved into the larger update that v2.5 was originally intended to be, mainly because of the use of 35mm sources for some shots and then v2.5 ended up being the small update, with tiny fixes.

This of course was actually an error and the numbering doesn't really make much sense this way, so I realized that instead of sticking with this erroneous numbering for ESB and ROTJ, it will be better to go back to the way the numbering was originally intended - v2.0 being a big update over v1.0, then v2.1 being a small bug-fixing update of v2.0 and v2.5 being the final version and the last version to still use the GOUT as a source in any way and in the light of recent news possibly the last to use the 2004 transfer as a source as well.

Author
Time

Harmy said:

Sometimes I forget how bad the BD looks and then I turn on the uncorrected BD layer in my project and see stuff like this:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/83799/picture:0

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/83799/picture:1

Man, the BD really is... yuck.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

Hey Harmy its been a while since you've mentioned it but how is the Despecialized Edition of The Phantom Menace coming along? Didn't you say it was going to be a quick side project to do before starting Empire? I still would love it and I'm sure others would too.

Author
Time

OK, I have a technical question - what do you guys think is the best way to convert the BD's m2ts video to lossless AVI and at the same time resize it to 720p?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Harmy said:

OK, I have a technical question - what do you guys think is the best way to convert the BD's m2ts video to lossless AVI and at the same time resize it to 720p?

Avisynth with ResampleHQ. It does gamma-aware downscaling (in linear colorspace), so you won't have color errors in shots with very high contrast.

http://int64.org/projects/resamplehq/

The best kernel and chroma_kernel for this kind of work is Spline36.

If it were me, I'd hack-up the Avisynth script and render with FFmpeg. I'm always available to help. Drop me a line if you're interested.

JEDIT: Just making sure... this is downscaling from 1080p, right?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That sounds great but I'm going to need a little more detail than that - if it's avisynth with no GUI, a complete script would be ideal.

EDIT: Yes, from 1080p - preparations for ROTJ.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Harmy said:

That sounds great but I'm going to need a little more detail than that - if it's avisynth with no GUI, a complete script would be ideal.

Sure, no problem. You said that the input is an m2ts, right? Isn't that just for MPEG-2 streams?

I can hack-up the script tonight.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That would be great! Thanks. If it made things easier, I could always demux the *.264 file from the m2ts prior to the conversion.

How does one define the codec, which is to be used for the lossless compression? If that is part of the script (which I expect it has to be) I'd like to use "UtVideo YUV420 BT.709 (ULH0) VCM".

Author
Time

Harmy said:

That would be great! Thanks. If it made things easier, I could always demux the *.264 file from the m2ts prior to the conversion.

How does one define the codec, which is to be used for the lossless compression? If that is part of the script (which I expect it has to be) I'd like to use "UtVideo YUV420 BT.709 (ULH0) VCM".

Demuxing won't be necessary.

The compression is handled by the rendering application which, in this case, is FFmpeg. Unfortunately, FFmpeg can't do UtVideo encoding at the moment.

Rendering with VirtualDub might be better in this case.

Author
Time

Any updates? Just really looking forward to V2.0. : )

Author
Time

I don't know exactly what else Harmy has left to do on the visual side, but I'm in the process of finalizing what I deem to be the best possible version of Empire's 35mm stereo mix.

I'd never spent much time listening to it until recently (the video tape I watched as a kid was the '93 version), but I've definitely developed an appreciation for it.  The difference in quality between it and the '93 mix is less pronounced by far than it is for the first movie, and it certainly makes for a worthy choice of soundtrack to watch the movie with.  I still have a few things to straighten out in terms of achieving GOUT-synch, since the early laserdiscs were missing so many frames at reel changes, and the audio is prone to changing speed in these areas, making for noticeable jump cuts and loss of synch.  But it's close to being done.

Also, the new 5.1 mix is virtually complete, requiring only final listening tests to ensure quality before I render it out.  Various timing issues with the LFE channel from the previous version have been corrected, meaning that the bass is now much more tightly locked to the soundtrack as a whole.  Everything is just more polished this time, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it paired with the improved visuals of this new edition.  ;)

Author
Time

I'm certainly excited to hear both tracks!

Also, if since you have access to some very nice pro encoders, I'd be interested in 448k AC3 versions of both your SW 70mm and ESB purist mixes, for friends and family stuck in DVD-land.  I've encoded from lossless myself with aften, but I imagine you can squeeze out better quality.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

I downloaded and watched the entire despecialized trilogy this week, and all I ca say is "Great job--no, no, Superb job, Harmy!!!"  I have already burned them to three discs and I plan to add disc art and a cover art to make this glorious restoration that the trilogy has long deserved.

Author
Time

Nooo! Now that hairy_hen is nearly finished with the audio tracks, I will have Empire v2.0 out as soon as I get the tracks from him and you will have wasted a DVD9 disc, because this new version is just so much better than v1.0 it's not even funny...