logo Sign In

Post #713576

Author
Harmy
Parent topic
Harmy's THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Despecialized Edition HD - V2.0 - MKV & AVCHD (Released)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/713576/action/topic#713576
Date created
27-Jun-2014, 7:54 PM

Well, yeah, actually, these shots in particular definitely do look better than what's left of them in the BD, and I suspect that it's because they were scanned at only 2K in '97 (which also means '97 level of scanning technology) then put back on film and then that film was scanned again (with 2004 level of scanning tech) and then all the DNR and color eff-ups of the 2004 version were added and in between several lossless re-encodes must have been done and then in the end h264 compression for BD, so on the 2011 BD all the shots altered in '97 were probably though more generations of detail degradation, than your average theatrical print could "dream" of. I'll post some comparisons with the BD after this weekend.

As to the rounded corners, they were there from the very first WP and no one's complained about them until now, so they are obviously not a big deal and since I like them and it would be a serious hassle to remove them now, even if I wanted to, I don't see any point in discussing them any further.