logo Sign In

Post #496781

Author
Harmy
Parent topic
Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/496781/action/topic#496781
Date created
5-May-2011, 2:38 PM

I'm glad he likes it and I'm glad he took at least some pics :-) But it's a pity he didn't know before, not only could he have taken higher quality pics but he could also have taken pics of some more original matte paintings, as those would have been an invaluable source for this kind of thing :-(

Also, Looking for some SW pictures I randomly stumbled across this site and I found, to my surprise, that it featured my my HD crawl recreation video. So please give me a vote :-)

Anyway, having found out that it may reach a wider audience, I decided to write a detailed commentary for the crawl on you tube, so I'll repost it here:

Here is my May the 4th (be with you) present to all STAR WARS fans, to at least slightly compensate for the disappointment of the Blu-Ray announcement :-D

This is a recreation of the original 1977 crawl using the original elements - I took the STAR WARS logo and each separate line as they first appear in Dark_Jedi's 720p upscale of the 2006 DVD crawl, luma-keyed them out from the background, hand erased the remaining stars, straightened them up in photoshop and made the whole original crawl text in 2D. 

Then I used the 2D crawl as a 3D layer in AE, copied the movement of the original logo and crawl and superimposed it over the starfield in HD taken from the HD broadcast of the 2004 SE (which is surprisingly the same one as in the original, it just needed some brightening for it to show). Additionally I gradually sharpened the area of the first three bottom lines and slightly blurred the crawl at the top of the screen, to simulate depth of field. The result isn't 100% perfect but I think it's not half bad either :-)

And the 2D crawl I made for this can be found here as a photoshop PSD file :-)