logo Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 546

Author
Time

clutchins said:

stupidjarjar said:

INVITE. I need an invite to myspleen so I can watch this amazing version of the best series of all time (i own the blu-ray bad versions. AKA: special editions). My myspleen username is MYGREENBEAN. Thanks for your help.

I'm gonna be Frink with you, ReadTheFirstPost.

I did and I posted on myspleen but after waiting a week with no answers I decided to post here and see if anyone sees it. (You answered within a couple hours)

Author
Time

Does anyone know why this ".mkv" file is 17GB!

Is this all three of the original movies or is the quality extremely high?

Author
Time

The quality is just ok - when the quality of a movie is extremely high, it has 8TB.

Author
Time

A Bluray disc holds 25GB for one movie. This project is sourced from the Bluray. Ergo, 17GB is not too far of a stretch for something like this.

Author
Time

Also, if you read the first post of this thread you will notice that the file has 21 audio tracks.

“I want to watch Empire on my refrigerator’s LCD screen but listen to the Austrailan audio thru my USB phonograph setup and it worked on the other two movies” -yoda-sama

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Harmy said:

The quality is just ok - when the quality of a movie is extremely high, it has 8TB.

Just a follow-up on this, guys: This isn't hyperbole. The film scans we work with sometimes hit absurd sizes like this (depending on the scanner configuration, etc.).

I have 7x3TB for one film at home.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

Cross-posted but I swear it's topical.  Sorry if I ran afoul of a rule.

---

Argh!  I have discovered a terrible, terrible truth (er, at least I think it's the truth...).  The Blu-ray format supports only 32 subtitles in PGS format.  It supports a few more than that in text format, but there actually is a hard limit either way and it is not merely the bandwidth used by those subtitles.  Sorry it took so long to discover this, but it's not very well documented and not many discs even approach that limit.

So, if you want to make a truly universal preservation, it looks like MKV is the format you should use (I still recommend graphical subtitles though).  For a Blu-ray, you're going to really have to cut those subtitles down, or make different editions including different sets of languages.  Sorry again that I didn't see this earlier... I'll update the Project Threepio README to make sure there's plenty of warning for anyone with such a plan.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don't think Blu-Ray video format is the best way to keep these reconstructions, anyway. You could just burn these mkv files as files to a blu-ray. Many blu-ray players would support that, and of course all computers with a blu-ray drive, instead of needing proprietary software to play in the first place. I personally was very determined in storing these preservations in a way that will last, so I burned these mkv files on an M-Disc blu-ray, together with eleven different checksums, separate subtitle files and some other related files. I think .mkv files will be readable long after blu-ray video has stopped being the standard. Right now playing a blu-ray video on a computer is already difficult and often requires proprietary software. Also it'll probably be a lot easier to convert mkv files to some future standard years from now, than ripping a blu-ray video. The only disadvantage to this method is that you have to be certain that the blu-ray player you wish to play it on supports mkv files.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

In addition to the warnings, the new README will include suggestions on how to trim back subtitle tracks for disc-based formats, based on number of speakers, language overlap, and quality of translations. This is sure to offend someone, particularly those very kind and generous people who helped us have first-rate Icelandic subtitles, only to see them left off the disc.  You don't have to follow these guidelines, of course, but if you do, you can blame me when people complain ;)

Sorry again, I was led astray by the fact that tsMuxerGUI allows you to create non-compliant discs, software players didn't mind playing them, and the Blu-ray spec itself is so readily available*.

* "It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."  --Douglas Adams

Author
Time

b122251 said:

instead of needing proprietary software to play in the first place. I personally was very determined in storing these preservations in a way that will last, so I burned these mkv files on an M-Disc blu-ray, together with eleven different checksums, separate subtitle files and some other related files. I think .mkv files will be readable long after blu-ray video has stopped being the standard. Right now playing a blu-ray video on a computer is already difficult and often requires proprietary software. Also it'll probably be a lot easier to convert mkv files to some future standard years from now, than ripping a blu-ray video. The only disadvantage to this method is that you have to be certain that the blu-ray player you wish to play it on supports mkv files.

I don't think you need any proprietary software for burned blurays (obviously official ones are another story). You can easily view them with VLC.  You can easily navigate to the folder/file for your feature and copy it, remux it, etc.

And if/when these do end up having nice little menus and special features, a blu-ray package will be great. The menus won't be preserved by MKV alone.

Really the main downside seems to be the number of subtitle tracks. It's unfortunate. Though there are probably few people that will be affected beyond the 31 tracks used, it's still a shame as Catbus has been as comprehensive as possible and it won't be represented fully. MKVs or remuxing will be an option for them, though.

Author
Time

I am not sure why anyone needs to put these on a bluray. Just play them using kodi, or vlc.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The packaged deal of the Blu-ray is a lot nicer IMO than having separate files for the main feature, various extras, and featurettes.  Not only that, but there's more to "global accessibility" than subtitles and dubs.  If you're trying to get your great-grandma to watch this (and why not? the movies are about 40 years old), physical media is simply easier to conceptually handle for much of the low-tech crowd.  Finally, on the videophile side, few people have calibrated their displays for RGB PC output, so, for those who haven't, the BT.709 output from a Blu-ray player is truly better (assuming the display is calibrated at all).  Finally, it's not like having the Blu-ray means you don't get an MKV.  And heck, even if it did, you could just open up the Blu-ray's main M2TS file in kodi, or vlc.

Author
Time

CatBus said:

Finally, on the videophile side, few people have calibrated their displays for RGB PC output, so, for those who haven't, the BT.709 output from a Blu-ray player is truly better (assuming the display is calibrated at all).

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I get sick of typing this all the time.

I'd like to add that: Even if you've calibrated your display to PC RGB, you can still screw things up; e.g., you play a video game which alters the gamma and then doesn't reset it to what it was upon exit.

If you're going to use a PC, then it's usually best to use a untamperable display out, such as a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor (thunderbolt).

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time
 (Edited)

On a positive note regarding the 32-subtitle revelation, it appears that all of the playback issues I was having with tons of audio tracks, many of them lossless, all went away once the subtitles were limited to 32, so it may have been general non-compliant disc issues.  So the good news is it's looking like we're not necessarily pushing the limits of Blu-ray on the audio front.  Keep in mind, I haven't tested a disc with over 32 audio tracks*, so if that's actually a possibility, that would still need to be tested.

EDIT: *I did test with over 16, so I'd say we're safe up to 32.

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

CatBus said:

Finally, on the videophile side, few people have calibrated their displays for RGB PC output, so, for those who haven't, the BT.709 output from a Blu-ray player is truly better (assuming the display is calibrated at all).

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I get sick of typing this all the time.

I'd like to add that: Even if you've calibrated your display to PC RGB, you can still screw things up; e.g., you play a video game which alters the gamma and then doesn't reset it to what it was upon exit.

If you're going to use a PC, then it's usually best to use a untamperable display out, such as a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor (thunderbolt).

Eh, tis the reason why my 2 TV inputs are split between BT1886/YUV Color and full-range RGB. PC hookups and upscaled game-systems through RGB, and cable/blu-ray/films/roku through YUV. All I need to know before hooking something up is which color space does it output.

The one thing though is the entire chain should be maintained, from source to display. (YUV source needing to be played on YUV output device to a display it's enabled for [ie for YUV, "extended" color/deep black/native color turned off], and then optionally calibrated for said space)

Which dooooes beg the question, which color space is the DeEd rendered in? RGB or YUV/Rec? It would actually help me decide where I end up re-playing this.

Author
Time

I think the more important question is as follows: what will Stinky-Dinkins say when he sees the avatar Tobar created for me?

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

I think the more important question is as follows: what will Stinky-Dinkins say when he sees the avatar Tobar created for me?

Oh boy...not good at all...xD

Nobody sang The Bunny Song in years…

Author
Time

Dylanlip said:

Which dooooes beg the question, which color space is the DeEd rendered in? RGB or YUV/Rec? It would actually help me decide where I end up re-playing this.

mediainfo is the tool you need, but it reports for me:

Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Author
Time

johnlocke2342 said:

RU.08 said:

TV's Frink said:

Have you ever tried seamless branching before?  From what I hear, it usually ain't so seamless.

True for DVD but I think bluray is a different matter as the files are physically different.

I used seamless branching for a multilingual Blu-ray based on Harmy's DeEd and foreign projects based on it with multiAVCHD. Well I can confirm it's NOT seamless AT ALL. But I think professional software might be able do fix it.

Ah I was just wondering where this discussion was. multiAVCHD can't create seamless branching, however, BDedit can. Sadly exactly how to use it is anyone's guess, all I know for sure is you use the playlist file (.mpls), put the parts in order, and set "c" to "1" for the first part and "5" for all the others. What I would like to know is if it's possible to hide certain tracks (e.g. subtitle or audio tracks) using a playlist so they are only available when played back on a certain title?

[ Scanning stuff since 2015 ]

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Someone asked me if I could give them the background image I used for the official DeEd covers, so they can use it for a bonus disc cover - well, here's the background:
http://uloz.to/xpqqHArQ/deep-blue-space-galaxy-wallpapers-nebula-wallpapers-space-wallpapers-1600x1200-jpg

But I've actually already made a background image for a potential bonus disc ages ago:

Author
Time

AHHHH I'm going to have nightmares for weeks now!

[ Scanning stuff since 2015 ]

Author
Time

Brilliant image, Harmy, though I think it needs more edits, I think it was always meant to have a digital rock obscuring part of it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hello, I'm new (and french) on this forum. I like to know if a translation of the covers in other languages existed. Because I'd like have a french translation.

Thanks for your big work Harmy.

Ps: Excuse my bad english please