logo Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 538

Author
Time

I'm happy to share. It'll take me a couple days to simplify the files. Right now they're all layered Photoshop files and frankly, there's a lot of odd scaling and experimentation I went through to make everything work.

To answer the question of size, the bluray art is designed to use Criterion cases. Which is also how the slip cases are built. It allowed me to showcase more artwork.

Unfortunately, it'd take quite a bit of work to adapt for the regular bluray case sizes, particularly on the slipcases which proved to be quite tricky to get right.

I'll upload the whole package by the end of the weekend..

Best - Ron

Author
Time

That's very kind of you. They look beautiful and I'd love to use them to keep my BDs of Team Negative 1's releases when they finally come out.

Author
Time

I would actually buy a box like that if you'd be willing to print one and sell it. I am of course talking about the box and all the goodies, not about the discs

Author
Time
 (Edited)

WOW!!

Amazing work, ronwlim!

I've had dreams about packaging of this quality!

"For Star Wars to return to its roots it must be based more on emotion than explanation."  -- J.J. Abrams

Author
Time
 (Edited)

pittrek,

I actually thought of making a few for sale, but then decided it was against the spirit of Harmy's work. I'll include all the elements to make everything yourself. Though be forewarned, its a ardulous process to recreate, and not inexpensive.

Here's a mini-recipe for materials...
-The bluray cases can be found in Criterion's online store in packs of 5.
-The bluray inserts are printed on matte 60-lb inkjet stock and printed 2-sided.
- I printed directly onto the blank bluray discs with my Canon Pixma printer
-The mini-posters are printed on high-quality semi-glossy inkjet paper.
-The mini lobby cards are on a matte 60-lb card stock.
-The custom envelops for the posters and lobby cards are semi-gloss inkjet paper.
- The laserdisc-style card and fake Topps card are both on 60-lb matte inkjet paper, printed both sides.
-The slip cases are on a heavy matte card stock (not sure of weight). I reinforced the spine of the outer case with some white cardboard. I had to have a buddy print these as they were printed on 11x17 card stock.

I recommend getting a cards scoring tool to help get clean folds. They're on Amazon for about $6. Everything is glued together with rubber cement using the dry mount method (you apply rubber cement to both surfaces, let it dry and then stick it together). It makes the glue very strong. A caveat that dry mounting cannot be reposititioned, so its important to get it right the first time.

You WILL screw up your first attempt. Making this box takes a bit of trial and error. Look for a download link in the next couple days in this thread.

Good luck!
Ron

Author
Time

Ha! I had no idea Criterion sold their cases in bulk. Remarkably cheap given their quality.

Do you need to adjust the brightness of the image before printing to that stock? I've printed out someone else's custom cover before but I think it came out too dark.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

David,

In regards to printing, I think it'll require playing around. Obviously different printers produce different results. In my case, tweaking the Photoshop print settings made a HUGE difference. There's a pulldown menu that offers the option of Photoshop or Canon controlling the output settings. I used both depending on the stock and the image.

This sort of trial and error is precisely why I wouldn't want to produce these for other people. Though to be honest, I've pretty much worked out the kinks and wasting tons of ink and piles of paper :).

-Ron

Author
Time

Fair enough. I ask because I wouldn't be doing the printing myself. The kind and patient people at Staples will. :p

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ronwlim said:

pittrek,

I actually thought of making a few for sale, but then decided it was against the spirit of Harmy's work. I'll include all the elements to make everything yourself. Though be forewarned, its a ardulous process to recreate, and not inexpensive.

As long as they didn't include the actual movies I'd be fine with it :-)
Actually, how would you feel about making one of those babies for the guy who made the Despecialized Edition? I'd be happy to cover the cost of postage and material. Pretty please...

I would also love me one of these:
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Blu-Ray-and-other-HD-box-size-STAR-WARS-covers/post/745885/#TopicPost745885

so I'd like to extend the same request to spheretronic or anyone willing to make that from the files he provided.

It would make me all giddy to have these on my shelf and even more so if I knew and could tell people that they were made by fans of Despecialized!

I'd also be happy to give you some kind of special credit in future DeEd projects. 

Author
Time

Harmy,

It would be an honor. Give me a couple weeks to get this together.
PM me an address to ship to. Don't worry about costs (unless shipping costs a fortune; I once had to send something to Romania and UPS wanted $250!).

The only thing I wouldn't be providing are the actual discs. I'll send a pdf for the Bluray labels for you to print.

That said, I WILL NOT be making these for anyone else. It's just too much work. I'm happy to provide pdfs to print and assemble your own.

-Ron

Author
Time

ronwlim said:

I opted for that particular "W" because it was the original version before Joe Johnson revised it to work with the opening crawl.

I've always loved that version.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time
 (Edited)

Okay, here's a link to create my box set above.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4241360/StarWars_BoxSet_ronwlim.zip

Again, here's a recipe for materials...
-The bluray cases can be found in Criterion's online store in packs of 5.
-The bluray inserts are printed on matte 60-lb inkjet stock and printed 2-sided.
- I printed directly onto the blank bluray discs with my Canon Pixma printer
-The mini-posters are printed on high-quality semi-glossy inkjet paper.
-The mini lobby cards are on a matte 60-lb card stock.
-The custom envelops for the posters and lobby cards are semi-gloss inkjet paper.
- The laserdisc-style card and fake Topps card are both on 60-lb matte card stock, printed both sides.
-The slip cases are on a heavy matte card stock (not sure of weight). I reinforced the spine of the outer case with some white cardboard. I had to have a buddy print these as they were printed on 11x17 card stock.

I recommend getting a bone scorer to help get clean folds. They're on Amazon for about $6. Everything is glued together with rubber cement using the dry mount method (you apply rubber cement to both surfaces, let it dry and then stick it together). It makes the glue very strong. A caveat that dry mounting cannot be reposititioned, so its important to get it right the first time.

As I haven't tested these pdf versions, I definitely recommend doing a test print in black & white to avoid wasting ink. I'll post this is the bluray art thread as well.

Best,
Ron

Author
Time

Yessss, thank you. I may order some of those cases this weekend and have some custom cases made by the time my birthday rolls around.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

To anyone attempting to recreate my box set, please post pictures of your finished product. I'd love to see how they turn out.

-Ron

Author
Time

That box set looks fantastic! Great work, ronwlim!

Author
Time

Yeah thanks for making it available!

Author
Time

Hi, i'm fairly new to all this as I just discovered these exist the other day. First of all, incredible job to Harmy and all the work put into this, this is an absolute godsend after what Lucas has done in the recent dvd releases.

My question is, what is the best way to view these on a TV? I don't have a disc burner and wouldn't know how to go about that, and apparently .mkv files do not work on a TV through a USB. I tried to convert the files into .mp4 but after about 13 minutes the video would just cut out.

Any help? My computer doesn't support HD video that well is all.

Author
Time

crich16 said:

Hi, i'm fairly new to all this as I just discovered these exist the other day. First of all, incredible job to Harmy and all the work put into this, this is an absolute godsend after what Lucas has done in the recent dvd releases.

My question is, what is the best way to view these on a TV? I don't have a disc burner and wouldn't know how to go about that, and apparently .mkv files do not work on a TV through a USB. I tried to convert the files into .mp4 but after about 13 minutes the video would just cut out.

Any help? My computer doesn't support HD video that well is all.

If you have a Blu Ray player and a DVD burner, you can burn the AVCHD version to a dual layer DVD and watch it on your BLu Ray player. If you only have a DVD player, then you should search around for the DVD 5 version and burn that to a DVD.

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

If you have a Blu Ray player and a DVD burner, you can burn the AVCHD version to a dual layer DVD and watch it on your BLu Ray player. If you only have a DVD player, then you should search around for the DVD 5 version and burn that to a DVD.

Can I burn DVDs using my computer, or do I need some sort of external burner?

Author
Time

crich16 said:

Wazzles said:

Can I burn DVDs using my computer, or do I need some sort of external burner?

Most modern computers have a dvd drive built in, so you shouldn't need an external burner.

Author
Time

Seems like I downloaded MKV versions of ESB and ANH...but I read somewhere that it's best to get the AVHD version? (unsure if I have the acronym right there)

Which version is best for the intended use to put it on Blu-Ray?

Author
Time

SteveE said:

Seems like I downloaded MKV versions of ESB and ANH...but I read somewhere that it's best to get the AVHD version? (unsure if I have the acronym right there)

Which version is best for the intended use to put it on Blu-Ray?

If u intend to put it on a blu-Ray disc then u have the right version.