logo Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 528

Author
Time

It is my opinion, ultimately, that when it comes to the colors in Star Wars, there should be absolutely no definitive discussion online, ever, period, under any circumstances, so help us God.

Maybe...MAYBE... if we all lived in an sRGB world with calibrated monitors.  As it is, the color pathways are crazy.  To this day, I cannot actually show what my restoration looks like because it's in DCI-P3 and you need either 1) A $40,000.00 monitor to show it or, 2) A 4K projector, calibrated, in a critical viewing environment. It's just not technically possible, and the approximation that I see in the browser when I put things online (and yes, you bet it's different in IE, Firefox or Chrome), is usually off in some critical way - either color tone or luminance.

Harmy's done a great job, and I suspect one day he'll do another pass, but it's a moving target.  So let's all go easy on it.

View the Restoration and join the discussion at StarWarsLegacy.com!

Author
Time

Thanks Mike!

And the thing is I agreed with BuddhaMaster the first time he posted about this issue, so I just don't understand why he keeps arguing the "point".

Author
Time

It was announced on the news that dress was indeed black and blue.

"The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won’t last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you’ll be able to project it on a 20’ by 40’ screen with perfect quality. I think it’s the director’s prerogative, not the studio’s to go back and reinvent a movie." - George Lucas

<span> </span>

Author
Time

Hello.

It is not easy to criticize something without coming over as harsh. There is the slight possiblity that one, committed to an artistic work looses the view of relevance, might be colors, tones such fundamental things that become even harder to grasp with increasing commitment.

So I saw the sandcrawler scene in which is undeniably the best fan-edit of a pop cultural piece of art, trying to recreate that based on original sources and endless skill, I can't even touch a microscopic level of that. I'm a nobody and I have near no experience in video-editing nor the tools to do so.

So I tried to improve the colors in that sandcrawler scene and thought that's quiet an improvement, I wanted to share that. And I was slightly surprised to have actually offended anybody. Because there should be absolutely no personal perception of what I did. I was just trying to help.

But then I realized that your fan-edit is not my work and I have probably no right to criticize your decisions. I'm absolutely convinced the colors in the scene are way off, so simply making the image look worse because some source says so, felt ignorant and irritating.

Thank you for your work and may the best come out of Star Wars. I will delete my posts in your thread, but if you like to share, feel free.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

BuddhaMaster said:

May I be very rude.

BuddhaMaster said:

Nocturnaloner said:

Harmy knows a lot about color grading, and a lot about every single shot of Star Wars.  Although it may give you some satisfaction to try to point out the shortcomings of his efforts at some length, I don't think it's necessary.  He knows them very well.

Of course. He probably knows a million more things than I do and is an absolute expert. That considered, it's even harder to believe why this exact shot looks so totally off with the whole movie.

I know the goal restoration is to restore everything with even their faults, Star Wars is an old movie full of flaws (and charme). May I know where Harmy did his sandcrawler shot reference from?

To be truthful, it looks like the correction was based on an old photograph, taken itself by a bad scan. That is not necessarily to be reference material.

BuddhaMaster said:

Danfun128 said:

http://savestarwars.com/technicoloribscreening.html

As far as I know, no member of this community has that print though.

The sandcrawler scene in harmy's release does match up a lot with the Senator Print. I've seen those pictures several times and never get away the feeling that does pictures itself are a) a proper reference b) way too overbright. A lot of detail seems lost in the bright levels and it looks wrong to me.

The sandcrawler scene matches nicely up to the look of those. Don't tell me thats what SW is supposed to look.

Those "scans" of a original print simply look like someone turned a light-bulb on 200% and thats wrong. I strongly even prefer the look of muted GOUT

I'm trying to say the picture is result of the screening, not the image-source itself. The resulting look will be caused by the equipment used. But a digital projector (monitor, screen) is not a canvas. So making it to look like canvas is wrong in the beginning.

Harmy is supposed to "match" the I.B. print. But not "literally".

BuddhaMaster said:

Yeah but hear. The picture is obviously a top-reference and the way to go, but don't actually "literally" match the photos taken by those screenings right?

Your version is supposed to look like the reference material that print is, not how it will look when screened on canvas

BuddhaMaster said:

Harmy. Which sources did you use for the sandcrawler scene?

BuddhaMaster said:

I'm not trying to prove anything

I know, you will just completely take me as offensive ;)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

BuddhaMaster said:

I will delete my posts in your thread

This is seriously so much worse than the things you posted.  Doing so disrupts the flow of the thread and makes it nearly impossible for others reading it to follow what is going on, and it's disrespectful to the forum as a whole.  People have been banned for doing this in the past.

I saved as many of your posts as I could, unfortunately you deleted two before I got to them.

You're welcome.  May the moderators have mercy on your soul.

JEDIT: Saved at least part of one deleted post.  Not sure if that was all of it.

I'M A JEDIT, LIKE MY FATHER BEFORE ME: Saved the opening bit of the other deleted post.  There was certainly a lot more there originally, but somehow what I recovered seems fitting.

Author
Time

You can't even apologize properly without having another go at the sandcrawler colors. Please go away.

Author
Time

No, he was sincere and apolo-

BuddhaMaster said:

I'm absolutely convinced the colors in the scene are way off, so simply making the image look worse because some source says so, felt ignorant and irritating.

Oh.

Author
Time

Let us have no more thread derailments, and no more more morning after post deletions. Think before you post. Thank you, and have a nice day.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Would anyone here be able to burn this onto a bluray for me I'm in the UK and my internet provider has blocked the download website plus I don't have a blu ray rewriter cheers in advance ;)

Author
Time

Unfortunately, I am also looking into seeing if anyone can make a copy. I have been trying to get a set made for my father as a present, but have failed miserably. I literally went through an entire stack of DL-DVDs(not cheap where I live) and managed to get only two discs to finish the burn process, after which neither would close properly, and upon testing, do not work.

I'm not even sure I was doing it properly since each movie's file structure is different, and only two of the three are packaged in ISOs. I downloaded all my files from Myspleen, and all of them are the most current releases. I know some of the members here have the tools and the expertise to burn this properly, and if there is someone who can also make cases and covers, I would so appreciative. I can of course compensate for material costs and shipping.

I really have tried my best to make this work on my own, but at this point I am very, very late on getting this gift completed. Also wanted to note that I am in good standing and have an excellent ratio on Myspleen(as evidenced here

Author
Time

I'd love if someone could help me with a copy of this as well...I've tried to burn it to disc a bazillion times but haven't had any luck.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV's Frink said:

This is seriously so much worse than the things you posted.  Doing so disrupts the flow of the thread and makes it nearly impossible for others reading it to follow what is going on, and it's disrespectful to the forum as a whole.  People have been banned for doing this in the past.

The irony of it all ...................................  figured a good laugh was needed considering.   

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LOOSEN UP!

edit: Your "(...............for Silverwook.  ;) )" ruined my comment. Perhaps you can either remove it or move it to the top?

Nobody sang The Bunny Song in years…

Author
Time

Jetrell Fo said:

OFFICER:   Okay. Out of the Y-Wing. You're flying an X-Wing today.
PORKINS:  Well that's just great. I've never been trained in an X-Wing. I'm a Y-Wing pilot through-and-through.
PORKINS:  Red 6 standing by ... I guess.
PORKINS:  Hey I've got a problem here.
BIGGS:       Eject.
PORKINS:  I can hold it.
BIGGS:       Pull up!
PORKINS:  No, no, never mind. Can't hold it. And ... EJECT BUTTON on the Y-Wing would be ... here! [pushes button] [X-Wing explodes] Doh! Do-o-o-oh!!

(from Star Wars Blu-Ray Changes - New Scenes! More Porkins!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32itsA81Ouw)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Danfun128 said:

LOOSEN UP!

edit: Your "(...............for Silverwook.  ;) )" ruined my comment. Perhaps you can either remove it or move it to the top?

Jetrell shot first ....... so yeah, no.  Sorry.

:)

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

You never learn, do you?

Your sarcasm is not lost on me but to a new member it might come off differently. Besides, you are the king of off-topic remarks, I saw no harm in adding a little humor to the situation.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

What sarcasm?  People have been banned for repeatedly deleting their posts.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2776332/it-s-a-fact-o.gif

And since Fo2 wants to start taking unprovoked shots at me again, I'll just point out that his "humor" generally isn't anything of the sort.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

My point was, that as the Grand Duke of Off Topic, you should be the last person telling people about what could get them banned, especially in the moderated section.  

"Politely" retrieving someones deleted posts, reposting them, and expecting thanks for doing it doesn't scream "Frink is being helpful and kind".  There was also no unprovoked shot.  I was teasing you over the irony of your words compared to your own constantly well-known misbehavior here in the moderated section.

Not sure who Fo2 is ...... you may want to reel in the antagonistic tactic and save it for the off-topic section, where you shine.

:) 

Sorry Harmy ......