logo Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 508

Author
Time
 (Edited)

What's wrong with the current Empire? 

(sorry I just find this interesting)

EDIT: Also, does Project Threepio have subtitles for Despecialized ROTJ?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well, "wrong" is subjective.  You'll find on this forum that one eyebrow hair or speck of dirt out of place draws howls of rage.

That I know of, the video has extra frames, causing a slight (and frankly totally unnoticeable) sync problem with the audio.  The most noticeable thing is rampant typos in the credits (they were a reconstruction).  Everything else is much, much less significant than those two things, IMO.  Others will add that there's a missing bead of sweat on Luke's forearm or somesuch, I'm sure.

EDIT: Yes, of course we have subtitles for ROTJ. We're not complete savages here.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I figured they would be relatively minor things, but I was curious just the same. XD

Why do the credits need to be reconstructed?

Author
Time

CatBus said:

You'll find on this forum that one eyebrow hair or speck of dirt out of place draws howls of rage.

Well, it's closer to two full eyebrows than a couple of hairs :)

Author
Time

If that is a reference to Vader's eyebrows (which appear to be blurry for some reason?)

Author
Time

NoobDude said:

If that is a reference to Vader's eyebrows (which appear to be blurry for some reason?)

Not specifically to Despecialized, but yes.

Author
Time

NoobDude said:

I figured they would be relatively minor things, but I was curious just the same. XD

Why do the credits need to be reconstructed?

Special Edition credits are not the original theatrical credits as they have somewhat different font, spacing, coloring, timing, and, of course, extra credits squeezed in for all the Special Edition work.  To have an all-around proper original theatrical recreation/restoration, the credits would either have to be reconstructed from scratch or scanned and cleaned from the original film reels (well, to have it in HD, anyway).  And really anything about this project that you might wonder "why would he have to do this or that" is likely answerable with "so it can be a proper theatrical recreation/restoration".  Anything less is not well received around these parts...

Author
Time

What's wrong with taking the credits from the GOUT?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Also, not that we've really heard of staying on topic around these parts, but there is a separate thread for the despecialized versions of Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi.  Movie-specific questions can be posted there to get the best response.

But yeah, Vader's eyebrows are fuzzy because the highest-resolution version of them we had at the time was an old Laserdisc master, thus the fuzziness.  We have some 35mm elements now which should be worlds better in this regard.

Also, I don't know if this is still the case, but at least for a while, Harmy preferred problem reports to be sent via PM rather than posted in the discussion thread, so's not to "ruin the magic" for people (once you know about a bug, it's really hard to unsee it).  The ones I've mentioned are ones people have already mentioned in the thread, but there are others I've reported privately that are also pretty minor.

AntcuFaalb: the credits in 1.0 were from the GOUT, and were a dramatic loss in quality after a pretty consistently stunning presentation.  The reconstruction was, at the time, the only way to improve quality.  Now I believe Harmy has 35mm elements for the next version, so no worries.

Author
Time

Hopefully someone here will know the answers to this...!  Like many, many others, I've just recently discovered the Despecialized editions and have spent most of this evening trying to get the download links found at tehparadox to work, without success.  

Given some technical constraints, I think I want the AVCHD files rather than the MKV so that I can burn them to a DVD, but a) the uloz.to links don't work at all in either JDownloader or FreeRapid Downloader and b) the mega.co.nz links only show a total of 30 files amounting to 2+ GB, as opposed to the 7+GB I was expecting [and as a bonus c) they don't work either.]  Is there some step I'm missing, or is it more likely that the links have gone dark?  And if the latter... now what?  I'm not a member of any private trackers and am not likely to become one, so I suspect getting the films that way is out.  

Any suggestions from the group?  Thanks in advance.

Author
Time

I watched Star Wars v2.5 yesterday and suddenly i was back in 1977 (9 y.o.) !

Thanks a lot for your amazing work.

Author
Time

I have the Despecialized Trilogy on a burned blu ray, but it won't play on my PS4.  It says it is an unsupported disc.  What are others playing their burned copies on?  Any suggestions?

Author
Time

Mine works just fine on my PS4.

What did you burn? The ~7GB AVCHD or the ~18GB MKV? Did you burn it onto a DVD-R DL or BD-R? What software did you use? If you used the MKV, did you convert it to a BDMV folder first, or are you just playing an MKV file that's on a disc (which the PS4 definitely wouldn't support, but many Blu-Ray players would)?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Erik Pancakes said:

What did you burn? The ~7GB AVCHD or the ~18GB MKV? Did you burn it onto a DVD-R DL or BD-R? What software did you use? If you used the MKV, did you convert it to a BDMV folder first, or are you just playing an MKV file that's on a disc (which the PS4 definitely wouldn't support, but many Blu-Ray players would)?

Just for future reference, would a DVD DL still work on PS4? And also what's the difference between AVCHD and MKV? What would work for PS4? Sorry I'm so new to all this.

Current Project = The Jedi, the Witch, and the Warlord (Ahsoka Movie Edit) [RELEASED] : https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Ahsoka-Kestrels-Theatrical-Edit-WIP-/id/111777

Author
Time

Hi y'all.  MySpleen doesn't seem to be handing out any invites anymore and I could not connect to tehparadox.  I've waited for about a week and never got a response.

Found all the movies on piratebay though.  They look and sound AMAZING!  Thank you Harmy for doing this!

I'm seeding them off piratebay if you want to grab them there.

Enjoy.

~Nemo

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Kestrel said:

Erik Pancakes said:

Just for future reference, would a DVD DL still work on PS4?

Yes.

And also what's the difference between AVCHD and MKV? What would work for PS4? Sorry I'm so new to all this.

MKV is a video file format. The specifics of it (like how MKV is actually just a container) aren't important for what you're asking, but suffice it to say that standalone players may or may not be able to play video files--and then only specific file types. It depends on the player as to whether it can play files and, if so, which ones. But usually if people play video files, they do so from a plugged in flash drive or external hard drive (or copied to an internal hard drive as is the case with my PS3) instead of from a disc.

AVCHD, in a nutshell, is a limited bluray format. Basically, it's lower-bitrate, menuless HD video that can be played on most standalone bluray players but is small enough in size that it can fit onto a dual-layer DVD (DVD9).

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time

I'd like to politely request that people stop private messaging me offering to pay me to burn them a BD-R copy and mail it out.

I'm more than willing to offer technical assistance to anyone who's confused or having issues, but none of this is very hard to do, and I'm not going to burn you a copy now only for you to PM me every time Harmy comes out with a new version.

Teach a man to fish, and all that.

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Kestrel said:

Erik Pancakes said:

Just for future reference, would a DVD DL still work on PS4?

Yes.

And also what's the difference between AVCHD and MKV? What would work for PS4? Sorry I'm so new to all this.

MKV is a video file format. The specifics of it (like how MKV is actually just a container) aren't important for what you're asking, but suffice it to say that standalone players may or may not be able to play video files--and then only specific file types. It depends on the player as to whether it can play files and, if so, which ones. But usually if people play video files, they do so from a plugged in flash drive or external hard drive (or copied to an internal hard drive as is the case with my PS3) instead of from a disc.

AVCHD, in a nutshell, is a limited bluray format. Basically, it's lower-bitrate, menuless HD video that can be played on most standalone bluray players but is small enough in size that it can fit onto a dual-layer DVD (DVD9).

Ah, ok. Yeah that makes sense, thanks much and wish me luck!

Current Project = The Jedi, the Witch, and the Warlord (Ahsoka Movie Edit) [RELEASED] : https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Ahsoka-Kestrels-Theatrical-Edit-WIP-/id/111777

Author
Time

Can anyone tell me what quality difference they notice between the MKV and the AVCHD?

That is, I haven't converted the MKV to a Bluray and am wondering if the difference (on a 42" LED TV) is distinguishable enough to warrant the expense of buying blank bluray discs.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Can anyone tell me what quality difference they notice between the MKV and the AVCHD?

That is, I haven't converted the MKV to a Bluray and am wondering if the difference (on a 42" LED TV) is distinguishable enough to warrant the expense of buying blank bluray discs.

The quality difference is actually quite noticeable, the MKV is much more "filmic", there's just a lot more of what the higher compression wipes away, more grain, more detail, it just "feels" more theatrical.  I'd suggest tossing it on a Blu-ray or buying a cheap computer (like the ECS LIVA, which is on sale today at Newegg for $109.99) and hooking that up to your TV to play the file without burning it or shoehorning it into something that'll play on a game console.  The DeEd is really something else when watched without extra compression, I highly recommend going through the extra effort.

Author
Time

Erik Pancakes said:

I'd like to politely request that people stop private messaging me offering to pay me to burn them a BD-R copy and mail it out.

I'm more than willing to offer technical assistance to anyone who's confused or having issues, but none of this is very hard to do, and I'm not going to burn you a copy now only for you to PM me every time Harmy comes out with a new version.

Teach a man to fish, and all that.

Also, no one should make a cent off this work, and I guarantee Harmy agrees with me.

Author
Time

jedinemo said:

I could not connect to tehparadox.

Seems to be working fine.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

At least a while back, tehparadox had this weird IP restriction thing, which I'm sure had some sort of other purpose, but it only succeeded in making me swear off ever using the site again (I used to post Project Threepio links there, but I got blocked from connecting there so frequently I figured PM's were easier).  It was a complete PITA, but I understand others don't run into it at all.  Maybe I've got some serial spammer in my ISP's DHCP pool and I'm just collateral damage.

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Also, no one should make a cent off this work, and I guarantee Harmy agrees with me.

Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't have bothered quote-replying, but this bears repeating.