logo Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 506

Author
Time

Yeah, it's working fine in my PC, and Ps3, but don't have a standard DVD player to try it out on

Author
Time

An AVCHD is the same format as a blu ray but burned onto a DVD.  So if you can play your AVCHD on your DVD player you can also play blu rays on it.  So, no you can't play an AVCHD on a DVD player.  For a while there only certain blu ray players could play AVCHD's.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

stretch009 said:

So if you can play your AVCHD on your DVD player you can also play blu rays on it. 

I don't think you understand what a DVD player is.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The issue is that AVCHD's are burned onto DVDs but they are encoded in Bluray format. Your computer can read an AVCHD even if you only have a DVD drive/burner in it because the programs you have installed on it can recognize the file format/structure. That is to say, you can watch the movie when it is on your hard drive, so the fact that you're accessing the data from a different location (that location being a DVD disc) makes no difference to your computer.

A standalone set-top DVD player on the other hand (ie. devices that use the technology that was available before Blurays were invented) is looking for a specific standard DVD file/folder structure and doesn't understand what to do with .m2ts files and such. It doesn't just have to do with the physical disc; it has to do with the way the files on the disc are organized/named, and how they are encoded.

Suffice it to say that the software of a standalone DVD player doesn't have the proper codecs installed, while your computer does.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV's Frink said:

stretch009 said:

So if you can play your AVCHD on your DVD player you can also play blu rays on it. 

Umm yes I do.  It was late last night when I posted that and I worded it all wrong. 

Author
Time

stretch009 said:

TV's Frink said:

stretch009 said:

Umm yes I do.  It was late last night when I posted that and I worded it all wrong. 

I don't think you understand who TV's Frink is.

Author
Time

Handman said:

stretch009 said:

TV's Frink said:

stretch009 said:

I don't think you understand who TV's Frink is.

Nobody does.  I'm the wind, baby.

Author
Time

Cheers for the detailed replies!

Is it possible to burn it in the standard DVD structure?

I'm assuming I'd need to convert the .m2ts file as well

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Jamould said:

Cheers for the detailed replies!

Is it possible to burn it in the standard DVD structure?

I'm assuming I'd need to convert the .m2ts file as well

First, if you were to do that, you might as well start with the MKV instead since the AVCHD is sourced from it, meaning you'd likely have fewer resulting compression artifacts if you did.

Second, why would you want to? You do know that you can buy a good bluray player for about 50 bucks, don't you?  (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6B3ULE) It really is worth it to have a set top video player that can handle higher than a 640×480 resolution.

EDIT: Although actually... There /is/ a DVD5 version of v2.0 available. It makes me think someone else might actually make a DVD5 version for v2.5 and seed it if you really wanted it that badly.

That someone not being me. =\ I do have ConvertXtoDVD but I don't have the MKV anymore. Unless, that is, someone more knowledgeable about video encoding than me feels obliged to correct me by saying that it wouldn't matter much using the AVCHD to source a DVD5 from?

TV’s Frink said:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I've got my PC and Ps3 for Blu-rays, but I'm wanting to show it to my wee cousin, and he's only got a DVD player.

If there's any tutorials about, I'll give it a go myself. I'm assuming it's not as easy

as converting the .mkv/.m2ts file to .vob, as it will require the DVD structure

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Actually, it is that easy if you have the right software. Though I'm not sure what the best /free/ software is.

EDIT: Because I can, I'm currently making a DVD5 version of Star Wars v2.5 from the AVCHD (using only English subs and the first 3 audio tracks). I'll be out of town for a couple days so I'll have to wait to seed it on Monday afternoon (US CST).

In the mean time, someone can tell me whether making it from the AVCHD /really/ would cause noticeable compression artifacts instead of me assuming things and talking out my rear end. And if that's the case, said someone should be nice and make a proper DVD5 since I don't currently have the MKV to encode from.

TV’s Frink said:

Author
Time

There's already an official DVD5 on tehparadox. I just checked and the links are online.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well alright then. :)  There you go.

Of course, that does make me look stupid for not having googled it, myself.

...But seriously, I'd say this project alone is worth buying a bluray player for. You should tell that to your cousin.

TV’s Frink said:

Author
Time

So last night, I brought along my copy of the Despecialized Edition to a group showing of Star Wars, and we ended up watching that instead. I'm not sure what they thought of it, but I did find out that at least one of them hadn't seen the original film before then. All the same, we were saved from the evil 2011 version of the movie!

Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.

Author
Time

Or you could haul your PS3 to your cousin's place.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Actually, it is that easy if you have the right software. Though I'm not sure what the best /free/ software is.

EDIT: Because I can, I'm currently making a DVD5 version of Star Wars v2.5 from the AVCHD (using only English subs and the first 3 audio tracks). I'll be out of town for a couple days so I'll have to wait to seed it on Monday afternoon (US CST).

In the mean time, someone can tell me whether making it from the AVCHD /really/ would cause noticeable compression artifacts instead of me assuming things and talking out my rear end. And if that's the case, said someone should be nice and make a proper DVD5 since I don't currently have the MKV to encode from.

So, I could just burn a .vob file to a DVD, without the folder structure, and it will work?

I'll take a look at the DVD5 version.

Cheers!

Author
Time

Depends on the player. Generally...no.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time

Hi everyone,

I have the slowest internet connection and I was wondering if these discs are available to buy anywhere? Would be keen to get the whole trilogy and happy to make any donation necessary.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Rodan said:

I have the slowest internet connection and I was wondering if these discs are available to buy anywhere?

Buying/selling preservations is against the rules around here.

I'm sure someone would be willing to burn 'em for you if you send the discs and cover return postage, however.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

Thanks AntcuFaalb.

I would certainly be more than willing to send discs and cover return postage should anyone be willing to burn the trilogy for me??

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Jamould said:

chyron8472 said:

So, I could just burn a .vob file to a DVD, without the folder structure, and it will work?

No, I didn't say that.

VOB files with no folder structure will work on your computer, not on your DVD player. Albeit, since several individual VOB files are used, watching just one of them won't do you any good either.

I have ConvertXtoDVD, and it can use various video sources (including either a complete AVCHD or just its .m2ts file) to create proper VOB files /and/ a proper DVD folder structure that you can use to burn straight to a DVD disc.

However, as has been said, the whole conversation about how to convert this film to DVD (from any format) is moot because a DVD5 version already exists with links on tehparadox. Use that. Don't bother doing it yourself.

TV’s Frink said:

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Jamould said:

chyron8472 said:

No, I didn't say that.

VOB files with no folder structure will work on your computer, not on your DVD player. Albeit, since several individual VOB files are used, watching just one of them won't do you any good either.

I have ConvertXtoDVD, and it can use various video sources (including either a complete AVCHD or just its .m2ts file) to create proper VOB files /and/ a proper DVD folder structure that you can use to burn straight to a DVD disc.

However, as has been said, the whole conversation about how to convert this film to DVD (from any format) is moot because a DVD5 version already exists with links on tehparadox. Use that. Don't bother doing it yourself.

AVStoDVD w/ HcENC > ConvertxtoDVD, and it's free.

Author
Time

Cheers!

I'll look into those programs.

Is the DVD5 v2.5?

Author
Time

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I don't see any thread search functions in this forum and this thread is LONG.

Does anyone know what's wrong with DeEdv2.5.part05.rar from Uloz? In Jdownloader it says the file is 9.56 KB (the rest are 500MB) and it won't download...