logo Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 501

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Zer0Squared said:

First, congrats on 500 pages for this thread.

Eh, at least half of those pages are full of nothing but crap posts like this one.

Author
Time

Harmy said: It's technically the same as if he was giving bootlegs of the official BDs as a "free gift" with the LDs.

That's a clever way to put it.  Let's hope it achieves something.

Author
Time

Chewtobacca said:

Harmy said: It's technically the same as if he was giving bootlegs of the official BDs as a "free gift" with the LDs.

That's a clever way to put it.  Let's hope it achieves something.

Looks like somebody bought it...

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

There is no need to have pitchforks and torches at this point.

Just let us know when we've reached that point, okay? I can also bring tar and feathers.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

CatBus said:

They're in or around New Bern, North Carolina, according to the eBay listing.  Geolocation plus IP addresses may help unmask this tool if he is on our forum.

My brother lives there... I know it's not him though as he has never owned a laserdisk player in his life and doesn't have access to a blu-ray burner.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hello and thanks to everyone working hard on this brililant project! My younger brother asked me to check this out for him. What a treasure trove!

I had one quick question however. Either my google-fu is failing me, or the information hasn't been discussed yet in this thread.

I was wondering what the optimal video settings should be set to for watching these gems in VLC on OS X? Do I need to turn deinterlacing on? If so, what code should I use? Any other must-know info for the best experience in VLC?

I'm using an RCA 24" LED LCD TV as my main monitor. Thanks for the help!

PS - By the way so far I've only looked into the large file of Ep. 4, but are these legit? Quality seemed a bit iffy to me. Not sure if someone re-coded them therefore compromising all of your hard work and quality.

Info Hash: CBD989AF1D762D97D60947D44264A80CB7D6D227

Author
Time

ishikawa said:

PS - By the way so far I've only looked into the large file of Ep. 4, but are these legit? Quality seemed a bit iffy to me. Not sure if someone re-coded them therefore compromising all of your hard work and quality.

There are definitely some crap re-encodes out there to watch out for. This should, for the most part, look as good or better than the retail Blu-rays.  If that's not what you're seeing, you're either looking at a bad re-encode or there's a badly messed-up playback setting.

Author
Time

ishikawa said:

^ 160 bits long, so I'll dare to presume that's a sha1sum.
It doesn't match the 2.5 mkv (Harmy gave its sha1sum in the first post of the thread.)
Doesn't match "AVCHD v2.5.iso" file, nor the largest file in its BDMV folder

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I went to pirate bay and downloaded v2.5, the regular 18 gb .mkv file, not one of the smaller re-codes I have seen a few places. 

Opening the containing folder and playing the movie on WMP, the only sound I'm getting is the score.  No dialog or sound effects.  Is this a known issue, or something that I will be able to correct if I burn it and play on a blu ray player, or am I missing a (particularly important) file?

Picture looks great (that Harmy is the man goes without saying), and the movie is complete and seems to have no other issues

Author
Time

bliz said:

I went to pirate bay and downloaded v2.5, the regular 18 gb .mkv file, not one of the smaller re-codes I have seen a few places. 

Opening the containing folder and playing the movie on WMP, the only sound I'm getting is the score.  No dialog or sound effects.  Is this a known issue, or something that I will be able to correct if I burn it and play on a blu ray player, or am I missing a (particularly important) file?

Picture looks great (that Harmy is the man goes without saying), and the movie is complete and seems to have no other issues

Use a different video player.  WMP is using the isolated score track, you'll have to use a video player that supports more than one audio track.

Author
Time

Handman said:

bliz said:

Use a different video player.  WMP is using the isolated score track, you'll have to use a video player that supports more than one audio track.

Sigh.  Should have probably thought of that before posting.  You're right.  Downloaded DivX and that plays it just fine.

Thanks

Author
Time

I would have recommended VLC.

Nobody sang The Bunny Song in years…

Author
Time

I would've recommended MPCHC or MPV.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I prefer Media Player Classic over VLC because MPC can hide various parts of its interface at the press of a single button, it's able to easily hide any letterboxing (ie. black bars), and the player borders can snap to the video frame edges if you want. If you have any codec issues, just download the Combined Community Codec Pack.

VLC's only benefits over MPC, for my use, are that it has the necessary codecs already self-contained, so it makes for a very good /portable/ player; and its codec output info page, for such as finding the aspect ratio or bitrate, is easier to find and is laid out better.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time

bliz said:

Sigh.  Should have probably thought of that before posting.  You're right.  Downloaded DivX and that plays it just fine.

Thanks

*facepalm* Divx???  What decade is this?

Do what chyron8472 said and go grab Combined Community Codec Pack (actually, it is more of a filter pack than a codec pack, but they couldn't pass up the acronym).  On top of everything it'll have Media Player Classic HomeCinema included, which is lightweight, simple and gives you options to do just about anything.  Those rare times I use Windows anymore, that's my go-to player.  (VLC is good, too, but for different reasons.)

Author
Time

Hey Harmy! I have two scenes I just can't figure out.

At 1:03:28 (v2.5), we see the Millenium Falcon docked inside the Death Star. It's VERY black on the left side and VERY dark blue on the right. I remember in v1.0 you could clear see more details on both sides. I think you could see soldiers to the left and some tubes (?) on the right. Why has it been darkened considerably for v2.5?

Same goes with the final scene. At 1:55:51 (v2.5), our heroes have just entered the hall. In v1.0, you can clearly see the cardboard people on the lower left and right hand side of the screen. In v2.5, both sides have been darkened considerably. Warum?

Thanks buddy! You're work in much appreciated!

“But I was going to Tosche Station to pickup some power converters!”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well, that's simple, it's because that's much closer to the way those shots looked like on the original prints - it also helps them to look much less "matte-paintingy", especially the "cardboard-cut-out" soldiers - you'll notice in the comparison, that much more of that shot was originally a matte-painting than just the soldiers and that it looks terrible in the GOUT because of the bad black levels.

Author
Time

RobotWalrus said:

I'd like to point out, though, a little problem I found in the Castillian Spanish audio track. From 1:16:45 to 1:19:46 (the first half of the trash compactor scene), the audio is in Latino Spanish instead of Castillian Spanish.

I swear this is the last time I'll mention this audio issue in this thread again, but the story of the Castilian audio for the compactor scene just took a very strange turn now that I have a VHS capture.

I'll post further information in the International audio thread, rather than clutter this one up more:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/International-Audio-including-Voice-Over-Translations/post/728981/#TopicPost728981

Author
Time
 (Edited)

CatBus said:

RobotWalrus said:

I'd like to point out, though, a little problem I found in the Castillian Spanish audio track. From 1:16:45 to 1:19:46 (the first half of the trash compactor scene), the audio is in Latino Spanish instead of Castillian Spanish.

I swear this is the last time I'll mention this audio issue in this thread again, but the story of the Castilian audio for the compactor scene just took a very strange turn now that I have a VHS capture.

I'll post further information in the International audio thread, rather than clutter this one up more:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/International-Audio-including-Voice-Over-Translations/post/728981/#TopicPost728981

Just a brief note before we continue writing in the " International Audio post"

I have a GOUT DVD Castilian spanish track without the alteration score in the "trash compactor scene"...(It's included in this way in my DVD)

Maybe in Harmy's version was inserted the Latin Spanish dub in that scene, to preserve the original spirit of the theatrical release (I mean that particular scene without the altered score, like the english version)

Yesterday I sent a PM to Catbus with the 1995 VHS track... (includes Voice over over the crawl and altered score in the trash compactor scene)

Did you say guys that you don't have a spanish castilian version of the GOUT DVD track without the alteration score in the trash compactor scene?? (when the creature grabs Luke)

In that case I'm gonna sent a PM to you both Catbus/Harmy with the right audio track so you can add it in future releases ;-)

If anyone wants it, just ask me ;-)

He’s no good to me dead

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thank you for answering, Harmy. :-)

Can't wait for Return of the Jedi v2.0!

“But I was going to Tosche Station to pickup some power converters!”

Author
Time

Are these scenes supposed to be so dark?

Rogue One is redundant. Just play the first mission of DARK FORCES.
The hallmark of a corrupt leader: Being surrounded by yes men.
‘The best visual effects in the world will not compensate for a story told badly.’ - V.E.S.
‘Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.’ - SilverWook

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I know the first one was altered for the SE (Vader was brightened), so Harmy definitely darkened Vader back to match his theatrical references.  I'd say the others are correct too, because the GOUT, etc, were in general much brighter than the theatrical references he used.  30 years of home video gave us the wrong idea about how bright this film was...

EDIT: Two of these are featured in the comparison gallery.  Definitely the way it was supposed to look.

Vader in hallway

Falcon