logo Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 473

Author
Time

It should work off Blu Ray ok but doesn't, I know from working with Panasonic back in the day they are very fuzzy about keeping to the spec of things.The whole HD spec drives me mad. every software seems to have its own rules and moans about the right spec for blu ray authoring( they all want to re encode)

Author
Time

Harmy said:

The question is what actually happens when it gets converted to 720p60? My guess is, that it simply shows some frames 3 times and some 2 times, which is something that happens on a 60Hz monitor or TV anyway and on a 120Hz or higher, the frames are simply going to be shown that many more times, right?

Precisely.  And it's honestly not that big of a deal for the most part, except you notice the lack of smooth scrolling in the credits, etc.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

Yep. My projector is 720p so 90% of the time my BD player is set to output 720p60. What can I say? It still looks like film to me.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying - if your BD player didn't do the conversion to 60fps, your projector would do it, because it refreshes 60 times a second no matter what, so you're always watching 60fps, if you have a 60Hz monitor, TV or projector, or you're watching 120fps or 240fps, if you have a TV with that refresh rate, so whether your TV or your BD player does the conversion shouldn't really matter much, the conversion always happens.

Author
Time

May the 4th right around the corner, Harmy marathon!

Author
Time

Harmy said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying - if your BD player didn't do the conversion to 60fps, your projector would do it, because it refreshes 60 times a second no matter what, so you're always watching 60fps, if you have a 60Hz monitor, TV or projector, or you're watching 120fps or 240fps, if you have a TV with that refresh rate, so whether your TV or your BD player does the conversion shouldn't really matter much, the conversion always happens.

Is that true for all projectors? At the moment I have a dlp projector which uses a colour wheel to produce the colours, when changing the input from 60hz to 24hz the wheel slows down (you can tell made the noise produced) any ideas why this would happen  if I'm still seeing 60 fps?

(sorry if I'm off topic. Again! Love these techy discussions)

Author
Time

Oh, well, it's true of most projectors, but it's possible that some projectors can actually do true 24fps but I've never seen one. I know that digital projectors in cinemas definitely have higher refresh rates then 24Hz, so it seems curious, that a home projector would do native 24fps.

But with a color wheel, the projector has to refresh 3 times for each full-color frame, so my guess would be, that its true refresh rate for 24fps sources is 72Hz, thus producing 24fps in full color and for higher frame-rate sources, it's capable of even higher refresh rates.

Author
Time

Ah yeah, of course, never thought of that.

Author
Time

Wow,you know the people in my family think I am a movie geek who is knows a lot about this sort of thing and is extremely picky but I am only understanding about every third word said in this thread. I need to do some research:)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Also bear in mind that 120 Hz TVs that accept 24 FPS can show the same frame 5 times instead of doing the 3:2 cadence, which is a bit smoother. So there is a potential benefit if you can avoid converting to 60 Hz with 3:2 before sending to high-refresh rate displays.

Author
Time

FrankT said:

What if you played that on a PS3?

PS3 upscales to 1920x1080@24Hz.

I don't know what my TV actually does with this signal, but since I'm in a PAL region and it's quite happy dealing with a 50Hz signal I imagine it's not much of a push to go down to a 48Hz refresh rate. 

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Harmy said:

Oh, well, it's true of most projectors, but it's possible that some projectors can actually do true 24fps but I've never seen one. I know that digital projectors in cinemas definitely have higher refresh rates then 24Hz, so it seems curious, that a home projector would do native 24fps.

But with a color wheel, the projector has to refresh 3 times for each full-color frame, so my guess would be, that its true refresh rate for 24fps sources is 72Hz, thus producing 24fps in full color and for higher frame-rate sources, it's capable of even higher refresh rates.

Yeah, and 120Hz+ displays should be able to do the same thing.  So if the player upscales 720p24 to 1080p24, the only conversion is the image upscale, no change to the frame cadence.  If it converts to 720p60, it's likely the display will need to upscale the image too, so you get both conversions.

Again, not so you'd notice for the most part. But you do need to hand in your videophile card if someone catches you watching film at 60Hz.  I hear they take your plasma away too ;-)

Author
Time

CatBus said:

Harmy said:

Yeah, and 120Hz+ displays should be able to do the same thing.  So if the player upscales 720p24 to 1080p24, the only conversion is the image upscale, no change to the frame cadence.  If it converts to 720p60, it's likely the display will need to upscale the image too, so you get both conversions.

Again, not so you'd notice for the most part. But you do need to hand in your videophile card if someone catches you watching film at 60Hz.  I hear they take your plasma away too ;-)

What do they do to you if you only have an LCD that goes up to 60hz?

Not that I would know anything about that,or know anyone who would know anything about that.

Author
Time

DrCrowTStarwars said:

CatBus said:

Harmy said:

Not that I would know anything about that,or know anyone who would know anything about that.

Usually you can escape from them when they're facepalming, so you'll be fine.

Author
Time

CatBus said:

DrCrowTStarwars said:

This forum is chock full of awesomeness. :D

Author
Time

CatBus said:

DrCrowTStarwars said:

CatBus said:

Harmy said:

So it's just like that time I had to get away from captain Picard when I wrecked his toilet.

Author
Time

When I watch Despecialized in my bedroom on my 42" Sharp my TV displays 720p 60hz.  1080p movies display at 1080p 24hz

Author
Time

are there fanedits out there that are based on the 1995 thx versions of the old trilogy? you know, the last ones that came out before the special editions?

Author
Time

fgqb#19nyj said:

are there fanedits out there that are based on the 1995 thx versions of the old trilogy? you know, the last ones that came out before the special editions?

The master used to produce the 1995 THX releases is the same one used to produce the 2006 Theatrical Bonus DVDs (a.k.a., GOUT).

Team Blu is doing their own upscaled/cleaned-up/etc. release of GOUT. I guess one could consider this a "fanedit", but I don't think the term applies well to this kind of work; "restoration" would be more fitting.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

fgqb#19nyj said:

The master used to produce the 1995 THX releases is the same one used to produce the 2006 Theatrical Bonus DVDs (a.k.a., GOUT).

Team Blu is doing their own upscaled/cleaned-up/etc. release of GOUT. I guess one could consider this a "fanedit", but I don't think the term applies well to this kind of work; "restoration" would be more fitting.

yeah, but doesn't the GOUT version contain the crawl that's without the A New Hope title?

Author
Time

fgqb#19nyj said:

AntcuFaalb said:

fgqb#19nyj said:

yeah, but doesn't the GOUT version contain the crawl that's without the A New Hope title?

Yep, they replaced the 1981 crawl with the 1977 one. That's the only significant change.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

fgqb#19nyj said:

AntcuFaalb said:

fgqb#19nyj said:

Yep, they replaced the 1981 crawl with the 1977 one. That's the only significant change.

So none of these fan restorations resemble the 95 thx versions and all have the original crawl, then? 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

All the hassles with BD authoring is why I tend to stick to mkv.

It's not difficult to create an introductory mkv with audio channels listed that is like a menu but without the possibility of selection.  Then you just choose the correct track number in the movie via the player and chapter backwards.  Extras are just additional mkv files.

If you want to get fancy, you create the menu/intro in the same format as the movie and combine it into the one file, making the intro long enough to make soundtrack selections before the movie starts and you create a chapter point to take you directly to the start of the movie if you don't want to bother with the menu/intro.

Many players will auto progress to the next file in the list, so you can start with the "menu" file and then let it run.  The only thing you need to do is change soundtrack and subtitle if necessary for the main movie.

Menus are overrated IMO.

Author
Time

He's got point!

Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.

Author
Time

Nice ideas, for sure, but there are a couple of points in favor of standard menus.

The big one is that, with so many audio tracks, it'd be far nicer to have them fully listed and selectable.

The other factor is home theater systems. Many have the player rack mounted. You wouldn't want the thing to just start rolling before you are ready to sit down and settle in to watch it.

I'm still curious why multi avchd isn't "hackable" to extend its audio menu. There's got to be a way to change it above 16 or whatever.