Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.5 MKV IS OUT NOW :: 1 > 496

• Print
Murry Sparkles' avatar
RE: Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD

The clips are excellent as always Harmy, keep them coming.

This is gonna be great!

Are there any Special Edition changes that you don't think you'll be able to remove?

What are your plans for the matte lines? I'm hoping you won't be restoring them.

You know of the rebellion against the Empire?

Looking good!

Yeah, in my humble opinion, merely recompositing original elements doesn't constitute a "change," per se.

I'd also hope against reinstating matte lines and, even worse, garbage mattes for the same reason you elected not to mess with any of the Hoth battle. 

Honestly, the Rancor scene in ROTJ is the only one I'd waver on, but even then I'd ultimately hope for leaving it the new way.

But hey, we're all purists here. I'd also be interested in initial thoughts on what changes you think will be outside your sphere of influence.

As always, I'll be silently watching, spellbound.

EDIT: Y'know, as surprisingly close as Harmy has come to a flawless restoration even down to the details, I've had a change of heart on this issue and wouldn't mind any matte lines or other warts to be restored. :)

Last edited on August 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM by Hal 9000

There's a lot of matte replacements, repositioning. But you know that. I wonder if there are high res SW mattes, I've never seen any...

Murry Sparkles' avatar

Harmy, as this is your work you have the final say on everything but please consider taking out as much of the special edition c.g.i. crap as possible.

Isn't that what "despecialized" means?

Murry Sparkles' avatar

TV's Frink said:

Isn't that what "despecialized" means?

Well yeah, but you know what i mean ;).

Put Captain Solo in the Cargo Hold's avatar

I know this one's rather meaningless (and nitpicky) but have you considered putting back the mountain that was removed from in the Binary Sunset?

Put Captain Solo in the Cargo Hold said:

I know this one's rather meaningless (and nitpicky) but have you considered putting back the mountain that was removed from in the Binary Sunset?

Interesting that DVDActive doesn't mention it, but it does show in the pictures.  I never knew about this one.

Can't wait for you to complete ANH Harmy. Your ESB is the definitive version hands down. I know you had mentioned that there were a couple of explosions etc. that didn't match the theatrical release, but I watched the thing all the way through and I didn't notice anything. The picture quality is unreal, and the whole thing appears seamless to me. Your ESB makes all other versions seem really gay by comparison, I'm sure the same will be true for ANH and Jedi.

HARMY RULES

Yeah, but they're shorter :p

Thumbs up!

Also for returning the cell block scene to original. It's a change that could be left in, because it doesn't really "change" the picture.. but going for the way it looked, but not for the faults (like mattelines), gives us the original version in the best possible way! So again, I'm really looking foreward to this one!

This looks awesome, I'm gonna have to buy a new hard drive or something holy hell.

wow...you corrected that cell block.  now that is hardcore.  i didn't even notice that change in the special editions.  well done.

"I will laugh my ass off a hundred years from now when the only version of STARWARS people remember are harmys despecialized editions.  They will project it on a 20' by 40' screen with perfect quality."

Harmy said:

There will be no obvious CGI. I think that the fact that I'm removing the prison cell block corridor extension speaks for itself as to how much will be despecialized :-)
That's dedication. I thought me taking a screenshot of every shot was dedication, but actually going back and undoing it is crazy. Crazy awesome.

Harmy said:

And these DVD active comparisons are pretty shit compared to 005's.
I'm flattered!

TV's Frink said:

Yeah, but they're shorter :p
I'm insulted!

;-)

Wow Harmy! That cell block clip and the clip of the binary sunset are awesome. I'm glad you're despecializing Star Wars again. Hopefully, if you've got either DJ's or OmegaMattman's upconversions, you'll make a result that will blow us away more than your latest version of ESB Despecialized.

Members reading this topic: None