logo Sign In

Post #589793

Author
hairy_hen
Parent topic
Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/589793/action/topic#589793
Date created
14-Aug-2012, 12:41 PM

That's an odd-looking error to be sure, but I suppose it's just as well, since I had to go out of town for a bit.  Tomorrow I'll be back at it.

To tell the truth, it may be better to use Belbucus' analogue capture of the stereo track.  Sure, the quality of the digital version is a bit better, but it also has many of the source flaws that Belbucus fixed for his version, including noticeable audio dropouts and pitch-shifting.  In addition, it is also much too loud compared to the 1993 mix (and by consequence the 5.1), while the analogue capture has already been level-matched quite precisely.  When I spliced in part of the digital stereo track for one of my edits, it had to be lowered considerably just to have the dialogue come out at the same level.  When switching between multiple audio tracks, this is going to produce a jarring mismatch.

Of course, the mono mix is also much too loud compared to the 1993 version, and would have to be similarly lowered.  Dialogue Normalization can be used for this purpose with AC3, but for PCM this has to be done manually.

Once I'm done with my stuff, I'll consult on what to do about all the audio tracks, if that would be helpful.  I'm not sure how many people really care about this kind of thing, but differences in playback level are a huge source of confusion regarding how powerful or dynamic different mixes sound in relationship to each other, and a lot of erroneous ideas have been formed as a result.