Author
hairy_hen
Parent topic
Harmy's RETURN OF THE JEDI Despecialized Edition HD - V3.1
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/732302/action/topic#732302
Date created
20-Oct-2014, 7:38 AM

Belbucus made the first GOUT-synched PCM tracks for all three films using the 1993 mixes, and all three are synched to the NTSC versions.  These are what I've used for the 5.1, and I'd like to continue to do so.

Don't forget that my audio tracks aren't just for these releases alone: I intend them to ready for use in any GOUT-synched fan project.  Making multiple versions to accommodate different video frame counts confuses the issue and is logistically impractical.  The addition or removal of video frames is far easier than changing the edit of every audio track.  Also, dark_jedi has stated that his version of RotJ will be NTSC-synched despite using the PAL as the video source.

As I recall, there are two places in which the PAL and NTSC copies of RotJ differ.  The first is at the end of the shot of the rebel fleet, after Luke's conversation with Ben: the NTSC is missing two frames here.  The other happens during the Ewok battle; in this case, the PAL is missing one frame.  I believe both are reel changes, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

The first difference can be solved by removing the two frames from the end of the shot to match the NTSC.  The second can probably be solved by doing nothing, since it seems likely the Bluray would contain this frame which the PAL lacks.

Another thing to watch out for is whatever caused an extra frame to appear at the beginning of ESB 2.0.  It seems to me that consulting with Darth Mallwalker to confirm that the video is accurately GOUT-synched before release would be a good idea, since he is very good at that sort of thing.